McCarney quote on QB play, what does it tell us?

Harry

There has been a lot of talk about quarterback play over the last few weeks, and justifiably so in a season UNT must replace one of the better ones in recent Mean Green history.

I bring it up because Dan McCarney talked a little bit about what he is looking for in a new starting quarterback this week during his annual State of the Green Two-A-Days Edition Address.

“Our system, our identity and how we do it is to take care of the football on offense first. You have heard me say it before — a punt is a hell of a lot better than a turnover. We have a really good punter and good special teams. Don’t do something stupid because you think you are going to make a Dan Marino play or be Fran Tarkington. But along the way, we don’t need stiff back or there or a statue, a guy who can hand it off and make a couple of throws...

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/08/mccarney-quote-on-qb-play.html/

basically in the first quarter of every game or until we get behind by 2-3 touchdowns, have your sleeping bags handy because there won't be much going on other than run, run, run, punt

Oh sorry there might be a screen pass or two 5 yds behind the los

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

A consistent underlying tone regarding our QBs on this board has been- " I don't understand what happened with Berglund? & What's up with DW and why is he not higher on the depth chart? & Why would McNulty be in contention for the starting job over the super athletic DW (which obviously makes him a better QB) if he couldn't cut it under our sucky MVP QB from last year....?"

There's an answer to each of these questions and comments somewhere in this blog post....

Nutshell- if you don't fit their QB mold, you aren't going to play.

Speculation on the how's and whys of who the starter will be- answered.

I think it's pretty obvious who the starter will be. The only question is will he protect the football this year, or do what he's done in the past and turn it over---thus, the discussion becomes how quickly will we see Greer if McNulty turns it over?

• Upvote 3

I think it's pretty obvious who the starter will be. The only question is will he protect the football this year, or do what he's done in the past and turn it over---thus, the discussion becomes how quickly will we see Greer if McNulty turns it over?

I agree. Maybe they see or know something that we don't. (Ridiculous, I know)

If that's the way it spins- I'm a Greer fan, anyway.

Who freaking knows.... I've been surprised before.

AND if you have ever been to a practice or scrimmage before- "DO your ____ ing job!" is one of the most popular lines repeated by Mac.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 4

I agree. Maybe they see or know something that we don't. (Ridiculous, I know)

If that's the way it spins- I'm a Greer fan, anyway.

Who freaking knows.... I've been surprised before.

AND if you have ever been to a practice or scrimmage before- "DO your ____ ing job!" is one of the most popular lines repeated by Mac.

McNulty has some moxie to him. You could see it back when he was a true freshman. I hope he comes out and plays lights out with no turnovers. Do what DT did at times last year---leave no doubt that he should be the starter. Our chances of winning at Texas are small, but they are MINUSCULE if he doesn't play lights out, turnover free football. We're not going to be coming back for a win if we start in a hole against that team and are having to rotate QBs in and out.

• Upvote 1

For the record, i don't care who is in there if they can get it done. I just hope we see something new in McNulty that we haven't seen in previous years. because it was ugly.

hell, even the spring game was a bit ugly.... like when he fumbled the ball and no one was even close to him. good times. :)

• Upvote 3

Turnovers are what worry me about McNulty the most.

So weird that he is winning the competition (??) when Mac is out there making statements like these. Turnovers are the reason I was hoping it was anyone but McNulty. Hopefully he will prove some of us wrong.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Turnovers are what worry me about McNulty the most.

So weird that he is winning the competition (??) when Mac is out there making statements like these. Turnovers are the reason I was hoping it was anyone but McNulty. Hopefully he will prove some of us wrong.

Yeah, I was wondering if Coach meant McNulty when he mentioned turnovers and Greer when he mentioned a statue. Hopefully either McNulty will shake off the turnover bug, or it will be Greer. But they each had one turnover in the Spring game, so who knows.

My guess is it's Mini Mac and he will play well.

• Upvote 1

somebody had the theory earlier that these QB's are Chico's choices... not Mac's... which makes me wonder what thought processes CHico goes through when picking Qb's... maybe he's weary of QB's running around and being hit because he remembers how in 2010 we ended up with 53 QBs injured at the same time and this always is something in the back of his head?

one thing that DT was generally good at, was avoiding taking a sack... he still got hit, but probably less than quite a few of our previous QB's did...