McNulty utilizing experience in QB race

Harry

It's easy for someone to gamble with other people's money. We as fans have nothing but pride on the line. Mac has his pay check and all the careers of the assistants riding on this. Yeah, he's conservative but it's working. 9 wins is amazing. We need to do that half a dozen times before anyone starts bitching about the coach's ego holding us back. Of, course, know it all one uppers will always tell is how it's supposed to be done.

• Upvote 2

Again, everyone on the team is an athlete and, therefore, athletic. One quarterback is perceived to be a better runner than the others. It doesn't mean he's more athletic. There is more to "athletics" than running.

Again (and again and again), "athletic" encompasses not just the ability to run, but strength, agility, power, intelligence, discipline...and, with quarterbacks, throwing accurately.

If the only box I can check for a quarterback is "runs faster than the others," that's not really a good thing. To me, that's not really being the better athlete; that's just being a fast runner. Great. Unless we're running the wishbone, single wing, veer, or some variation of those, and giving the QB 15-20 keeps, I'm not all that exciting about a quarterback's best attribute being his ability to run fast.

• Upvote 2

Not my point at all. My point being Spurrier and Saban would never ever consider us. Mac has proven, now twice, he can take historically underachieving programs and turn them around. I am happy we have him and trust he will choose the QB, and players at every position, that gives us the best chance to win. Only our fans would dig through the remnants of a 9-4 season including a NYD bowl win, and question our coach's 30 years of experience decision making.

• Upvote 3

Amen Lifer. After doubting DT and almost throwing away the season after he was named the starter I relinquish all criticism and in Mac I trust. He is the leader of this team and will ensure the right guy that gives us the best chance to win will be at the helm. We have a chance of going to Austin and upsetting Texas Strong. A few years ago that was unthinkable. A Texas fan stated, "Well your Mac was better than our Mack, but now we are Texas Strong." Texas even slightly concerned with a Mean Green machine rolling into Austin is quite an accomplishment.

I can't wait to see this team's identity take form.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I never questioned Mac's decision making. I didn't bring up 30 years of coaching. Every single coach I have ever spoke with has a massive ego. All of them. That's all I'm saying. In life as well as in football, egos have a way of getting on the way of clear decision making. Not trying to come off as critical of any of the QB's or coaching staff, just bringing up an issue that is concerning to me.

I never questioned Mac's decision making.

Every single coach I have ever spoke with has a massive ego. All of them.

egos have a way of getting on the way of clear decision making.

So in summary...Mac's ego will lead him into making questionable decisions, but you're not questioning his decision making.

Just want to make sure I'm following your logic here.

• Upvote 2

1 + 1 = 2. Not saying that it will, but it very well could.

Do you even read what you write before you hit the post button?

The reason this thread has become so effing stupid is that people are forming absolute opinions about a red-shirt freshman who has thrown 6 collegiate passes against the second-string of a terrible football team already losing by 34 points...one who has perceived superior athletic ability (and I'll say it...probably based less on knowledge and more on the fact that he's black. As HS seniors, Williams rushed for 508 yards. McNulty for twice that. Hell, Connor Means out-rushed Williams)...AND...even more illogically stating that any decision made other than starting Williams will be made not based on 30 years of football experience and the want to put the program in the best situation to succeed, but rather on ego, bias and control-issues.

Everyone is excited about DWs potential.

But everyone should be far more excited about the potential of the TEAM next season and the direction of the PROGRAM a whole hell of a lot more. How about we put a little more faith and trust in the guy who delivered our first winning record in a fucking decade to make the decisions that's best for both.

• Upvote 5

The reason this thread has become so effing stupid is that people are forming absolute opinions about a red-shirt freshman who has thrown 6 collegiate passes against the second-string of a terrible football team already losing by 34 points...one who has perceived superior athletic ability (and I'll say it...probably based less on knowledge and more on the fact that he's black. As HS seniors, Williams rushed for 508 yards. McNulty for twice that. Hell, Connor Means out-rushed Williams)...AND...even more illogically stating that any decision made other than starting Williams will be made not based on 30 years of football experience and the want to put the program in the best situation to succeed, but rather on ego, bias and control-issues.

But everyone should be far more excited about the potential of the TEAM next season and the direction of the PROGRAM a whole hell of a lot more. How about we put a little more faith and trust in the guy who delivered our first winning record in a fucking decade to make the decisions that's best for both.

Yeah... didn't want to say it but you may have hit it on the head about the assumption that he's a dual-threat athletic QB because of his race. I think a lot of people hear dual-threat and they are sold before even seeing anything on the field. There is a new perception that football is going the way of the dual-threat QB and the fact that it's more entertaining to watch than your boring ol' pocket passer.

• Upvote 2

This is a nearly awesome post. I don't agree that there is some built in bias for DW because he's been called "athletic" and is black or that 'dual-threats' are what's hot now. I think the bias is based on the veritable eye-ball test that we've all no doubt already conducted between McNulty and DW.

DW, to almost everyone's eyes, looked freaking fantastic in the one drive we've actually gotten to see him. Yes, it was against backups in a blowout. McNulty, in his short playing time, has thrown some of the most bone-headed interceptions that most of us have ever seen. Yes, they were all against starters, mostly against very good teams.

We believe what we've seen with our own eyes. It's harder to trust someone else's vision of things if it's different than what we've seen.

So, to be fair to Ben Gooding, he's not wrong for wondering why Mac doesn't see what he's seen. There's no racist conspiracy there. But Mac and Canales have an established track record that suggests that they do know what they are doing. I think Ben would be wise to cede to their decision making, as you very well noted above.

And, you know, Seneca Wallace....

Edited by TIgreen01

I would add that the bias is because he beat out McNulty for the #2 spot in fall camp last year as a true freshman.

That's why he was on the field against Idaho, and not McNulty. That's why he was taking 2nd team practice snaps (saw this myself) the Thursday before the Idaho game and McNulty wasn't.

That's why people are high on him, not because he is black.

The QB race is between two QB's right now, not 3. The third is quickly falling off the map. In college football talent only takes you so far. QB must know the offense in all situations, put in time in the film room, study the playbook, etc. If you don't do that, then you ride the bench. Period

Well that's a real bummer. I have zero doubt of your knowledge of the situation... I have zero doubt of the one of the three that would referred to as having talent.... and I have zero doubt that McNulty isn't a D1 starting QB.

Guess we should all wish a tentative congratulations to Josh Greer as our new starting QB.

The QB race is between two QB's right now, not 3. The third is quickly falling off the map. In college football talent only takes you so far. QB must know the offense in all situations, put in time in the film room, study the playbook, etc. If you don't do that, then you ride the bench. Period

Sad, if true.

We won't break .500 with McNulty as QB, so here is hoping Greer wins it.

And here is hoping he actually has something.