MGB: Could Canales be in play at UAB?

Brett Vito

I know he wants to be a head coach, but at UAB? Kind of a career ender of a job.

Fact. Alabama chokes them out at every turn. Remember when UAB was in place to hire Jumbo Fisher and Alabama's regents said "no sir"? That certainly turned out well for everyone. Well, except for UAB.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/jimbo_fisher_glad_alabama_trus.html

Fact. Alabama chokes them out at every turn. Remember when UAB was in place to hire Jumbo Fisher and Alabama's regents said "no sir"? That certainly turned out well for everyone. Well, except for UAB.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/jimbo_fisher_glad_alabama_trus.html

And didn't they have a new stadium initiative stymied in a similar fashion?

EDIT: best thing by far that ever happened in Jumbo Fisher's collegiate career, aside from that whole National Title thing, which most likely wouldn't have happened if he had gone to UAB

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you're offered a HC position especially at an FBS school then you take it in a heartbeat. It may be a coach killer program but most if not all coaches have enough pride and ego in them that they think they can be the ones to turn a program around. He will always be able to get assistant jobs afterward if things don't work out. Or if things workout for a year or two then he'll probably be able to jump ship for something better.

• Upvote 1

Explain to me like I'm five why the University of Alabama regents would so actively keep UAB down. Does it suck resources from the NFL team in Tuscaloosa?

I know I've heard plenty of similar stories of the Texas legislature keeping down anybody not called Longhorns or Aggies.

I suppose I will never fully understand college football in the south.

Alabama BOR stopped the Jimbo hire and the building of an on campus stadium, sighting the economy and "fiscal responsibility, good stewards, etc." Yet, a year earlier, 2010, they finished a $80.6 million dollar expansion of the South End Zone at Bryant-Denney stadium! UAB may never recover from those two decisions.

• Upvote 1

Make Chico our HC in waiting.

Don't ever do that, it limits recruiting calls that he can make. The NCAA treats a HCIW the same as a HC.

Houston Nutt, who is on the record saying that he is interested, is also on the list.

This seems like the ender for a lot of the other candidates. This guy wins and would be a good hire for them.

• Upvote 3

Good analysis of the situation. Very similar to us when Dodge was in limbo except we had the stadium in our portfolio. UAB leadership needs to commit resources to get the ship righted but there is no shortage of interest in their head job.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/houston_nutt_may_be_interested.html

Alabama BOR stopped the Jimbo hire and the building of an on campus stadium, sighting the economy and "fiscal responsibility, good stewards, etc."

It's actually a valid excuse. If you use money for UAB, then it siphons the amount they can give to the 2 NFL teams there.

My son is a UAB grad, and the problem is Bear Bryant Jr. As long as he is head of Alabama's BOR,[ or alive] UAB will not be allowed to replace Legion Field, which is literality falling down. It is a dead end job, but then,so is North Texas. Hayden Fry and Jerry Moore are only head football coachs that I can think of that stepped up when they left,and J.J, the only head basketball coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9