goal is to be in HOD?

untwillrise

Just looked at c-usa bowl ties for the next 6 years and it looks like the best one is the HOD. We need to lay claim to the Cotton bowl as our home away from home. Every other bowl has us against mac, mwc, sublet, and aac.

Anyone have some info on next year's bowl season? Wish we still had liberty bowl.

• Upvote 1

It hasn't been finalized yet. Based off of our attendance yesterday and UTSA's probable ability to bring decent numbers, I am sure the HoD would love to be able to pick either one of us whenever we became bowl eligible.

However, every team in the league can see this will have the best bowl tie in and I am sure everyone will push for the champion to get this game.

• Upvote 1

Just looked at c-usa bowl ties for the next 6 years and it looks like the best one is the HOD. We need to lay claim to the Cotton bowl as our home away from home. Every other bowl has us against mac, mwc, sublet, and aac.

Anyone have some info on next year's bowl season? Wish we still had liberty bowl.

The Heart Of Dallas Classic football game is also scheduled each year at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair matching a CUSA team against one of the three military academies. La Tech played Army this past September. Although less regional schools like UTEP and UTSA may certainly receive occasional invites, the big catch for The Heart Of Dallas Classic and CUSA is when they'll be able to bring North Texas into the event.

Watch for North Texas to possibly drop some of the future bodybag games to schedule this charity event.

And to your question, yes, if there are comparable records involved, North Texas will be the natural choice for the Heart Of Dallas Bowl. The other CUSA schools would likely be compensated to play elsewhere.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3

The Heart Of Dallas Classic football game is also scheduled each year at the Cotton Bowl matching a CUSA team against one of the three military academies. La Tech played Army this past September. Although less regional schools like UTEP and UTSA may certainly receive occasional invites, the big catch for The Heart Of Dallas Classic and CUSA is when they'll be able to bring North Texas into the event.

Watch for North Texas to possibly drop some of the future bodybag games to schedule this charity event.

And to your question, yes, if there are comparable records involved, North Texas will be the natural choice for the Heart Of Dallas Bowl. The other CUSA schools would likely be compensated to play elsewhere.

This is exactly the game I want us to schedule!

The Heart Of Dallas Classic football game is also scheduled each year at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair matching a CUSA team against one of the three military academies. La Tech played Army this past September. Although less regional schools like UTEP and UTSA may certainly receive occasional invites, the big catch for The Heart Of Dallas Classic and CUSA is when they'll be able to bring North Texas into the event.

I'm wondering if any of our Army games might be moved there. I know this re-starts the debate about the number of home games, but either way, if 35K UNT fans show up it would look pretty good.

Also about compensating teams to go elsewhere...if they pay 200K less in travel to go somewhere closer (and so do we) then it helps both teams, so the payout isn't the biggest issue. It will all boil down to who the committee (and CUSA top dogs) think would match well with a P5 team.

• Upvote 1

This is exactly the game I want us to schedule!

Me too. I like the opportunity to play the service academies as I feel it an honor to participate in their pagentry, I like the idea of regularly playing what would essentially be another home game in the midst of one of our biggest recruiting areas, I love that it benefits a charity event, I would love the additional local media coverage, and I like the idea of hosting these programs with their strong national following.

• Upvote 2

I love the charity tie in. It made the HOD Bowl feel extra special knowing it was benefiting the community. We also have a University profile that aligns nicely with being inclusive and caring.

GMG

I disagree... especially for what is basically a "home" game. We travel very well. AND with the added publicity, success and recognition that the program getting, we may draw even more fans. I've been sporting UNT logo gear ever since the game. Many people have approached me telling me how well UNT looked and what a great game it was. I don't think our getting 35K fans or even more would be tough especially during the fair... and especially if they would vary the ticket pricing a bit. Just my two cents worth.

• Upvote 3

I dont see 35000 fans going to a random game at the cotton bowl...

But that's exactly the point, this wouldn't be a random game. UNLV brought zilch as far as a crowd. Army, Navy or Air Force...especially during the fair...would turn out and would bring out the community to see them play and our fan base to see us play them.

The New Mexico bowl could be good if we got a top mwc team.

And I could meet you guys there much more easily than back in TX :)

But that's exactly the point, this wouldn't be a random game. UNLV brought zilch as far as a crowd. Army, Navy or Air Force...especially during the fair...would turn out and would bring out the community to see them play and our fan base to see us play them.

Yeah...when was the last time UNT played in front of 70K people for a "home"-ish game? Trick question.

• Upvote 1

I disagree... especially for what is basically a "home" game. We travel very well. AND with the added publicity, success and recognition that the program getting, we may draw even more fans. I've been sporting UNT logo gear ever since the game. Many people have approached me telling me how well UNT looked and what a great game it was. I don't think our getting 35K fans or even more would be tough especially during the fair... and especially if they would vary the ticket pricing a bit. Just my two cents worth.

Tickets to the game could be included with your North Texas season tickets, and I'd bet an outstanding deal could be arranged to get students in for even less than fare admission alone.

Here's what the ticket pricing was for this season's game, and it included admission to the fair:

7151904.jpeg

Edited by ADLER

I don't agree that we travel well. Taking 600 to La Tech was better than in the past but it's by no means traveling well. That game was the most regional opponent for us this year - if we want to lay claim to traveling well we need to be brining 2k to UTSA, Rice, La Tech, UTEP. UTSA travelled well to play us, and I bet more would have come if they weren't afraid of the ice threat that was all over the news to begin that night/next day.

I do agree that we could have a strong showing during the fair if we had an attractive ticket price.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree that we travel well. Taking 600 to La Tech was better than in the past but it's by no means traveling well. That game was the most regional opponent for us this year - if we want to lay claim to traveling well we need to be brining 2k to UTSA, Rice, La Tech, UTEP. UTSA travelled well to play us, and I bet more would have come if they weren't afraid of the ice threat that was all over the news to begin that night/next day.

I do agree that we could have a strong showing during the fair if we had an attractive ticket price.

No sure what you are saying if we are talking about a bowl it is a whole different story. We had a good showings in New Orleans when we had half the fan core. We are growing and this last bowl just helped. If we have a bowl within a days drive I think we will have great attendance

Did you go to Houston or Rice the last few times we played them? We brought plenty of people. Our program travels respectably. Will only continue to get better with a competitive program.

• Upvote 1

Based on current bowl tie ins, it looks like we are in for a steady diet of HoD, New Mexico, New Orleans, and Independence bowls in the years that we qualify for a bowl. I do not believe the HoD is obligated to take the champ.

It would be cool to play the HoD classic every couple of years in addition to our normal Apogee schedule (not in place of an Apogee game).

• Upvote 1

We don't travel well during the season,period. Bowl games are a different story, as we did o.k. going to New Orleans. I would hope that we get a chance to play in the Armed Forces bowl in Ft. Worth, and think with our strong showing at HOD bowl we should. What our immediate goal should be is to get some HOD attendees to find their way to Denton during regular season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I was going to start a seperate thread about the Cotton Bowl / State Fair, but looks like we kinda got a thread going about this right now. What do y'all think about moving a game a year to the State Fair? I'd love it!! Here's the deal... there are 4 weekends of the Fair & they only have 2 football games scheduled each year (Texas - OU / Grambling - Prairie View A & M). The State Fair would loooove to utilize the Cotton Bowl for at least a 3rd game during the fair. Why NOT us? When we did those games at Texas Stadium in the 90's that was a lot of fun & brought good publicity for us.

If it's with the service academies, great! If not them, how about moving our yearly UNT-SMU tilt to the Cotton Bowl? Start a tradition. It would be GREAT exposure & really open a lot of eyeballs for random people going to the fair that day about what's going on. Also, with the prices listed in ADLER's post, that's a really good deal. I hope RV makes this happen! DISCLAIMER: Yeah, yeah, I know it would mean 1 less home game every 2 years ... seems to work out for UT & OU just fine. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1