UNT in extension talks with McCarney, bowl info

Harry

Really? You really need to see more? That talk will take us back 10 years! And, I don't want to do this again....

Rick will get it done.....and if it is lifetime, it is grand with ParksAndRecRick.

By the way.....HOD Bowl!

This season has been awesome...winning again is great, and I appreciate all Mac has done, but it seems like a lot of people are jumping the gun here. I'm all for a 1-2 year extension but see no purpose in locking ourselves down long term. Looking at things objectively, this was a very weak CUSA this year. We beat a fantastic Ball State team, but were painfully flat against Ohio, Tulane, and UTSA. Played our hearts out against Georgia. I felt the same way about the term of Johnny Jones' contracts even during the successful years. Before we give the guy a long term extension, it just seems like it should be after more than 1 winning season.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

At least a 2-year extension will ensure this coming year's recruits that he will be here for their tenure (3 years if they will redshirt). It's realistic to do this when times are good. Have a couple of down seasons, tell him to get the ball rolling again to ensure another extension. Seems reasonable on both ends. I can also think of at least 2 assistants that could use a nice little something to make sure they don't cut and run if offered.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 2

At least a 2-year extension will ensure this coming year's recruits that he will be here for their tenure (3 years if they will redshirt). It's realistic to do this when times are good. Have a couple of down seasons, tell him to get the ball rolling again to ensure another extension. Seems reasonable on both ends. I can also think of at least 2 assistants that could use a nice little something to make sure they don't cut and run if offered.

Again, contracts don't keep any coach that wants to leave anywhere. Aston and Jones had contracts, didn't keep them here an extra minute.

Recruits are smart enough to know that most coaches leave as soon as they get a better offer and schools with the resources have no problem canning coaches they want to get rid of.

Again, contracts don't keep any coach that wants to leave anywhere. Aston and Jones had contracts, didn't keep them here an extra minute.

Recruits are smart enough to know that most coaches leave as soon as they get a better offer and schools with the resources have no problem canning coaches they want to get rid of.

The point of it is to show them we're serious about wanting them to stay. They could get offers, but won't go looking for them if they think they're in a good spot. I'm curious as to what you would propose as an alternative. Mac only has 2 years left...he could leave as can any coach if they're good enough, but no extension tells recruits that if they redshirt, they may only get a year under him because we don't believe in the job he's done to give him more time until right before the contract expires. And it tells Mac that instead of waiting for an offer, he might as well start sniffing around for one because a turnaround job with the first winning season and bowl berth in about a decade isn't worth an extension to try to entice him to stick around.

• Upvote 4

If we don't have the money to do both, we shouldn't be involved in NCAA athletics at the highest level.

Come on, guys.

90 is right. However, I will go further, and say that "having the money" essentially means "having the donors". Even schools with lots of $ rely on the boosters to supply buyout $.

The point of it is to show them we're serious about wanting them to stay. They could get offers, but won't go looking for them if they think they're in a good spot. I'm curious as to what you would propose as an alternative. Mac only has 2 years left...he could leave as can any coach if they're good enough, but no extension tells recruits that if they redshirt, they may only get a year under him because we don't believe in the job he's done to give him more time until right before the contract expires. And it tells Mac that instead of waiting for an offer, he might as well start sniffing around for one because a turnaround job with the first winning season and bowl berth in about a decade isn't worth an extension to try to entice him to stick around.

Exactly. It essentially tells everyone: "We believe in what Coach is building and trying to accomplish here. We are behind him, and you should be, too."

I want us to keep any HFC here at least 6-7 years, but I want that coach to have at least 3-4 bowl teams in that period of time and a Mean Green team or 2 or 3 that get Top 25 rankings. If we ain't getting Top 25 ranked teams from time to time then we are fiddle-fartin' and only fooling ourselves about our football program at the NCAA FBS level.

THIS >> > > > Boise State went thru about 4 HFC's in a 10-11 year span, but 99% of that time (as I recall) still had its Bronces in Top 25 polls. That to me is simply amazing for a school of which we were once in a conference.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Barking Carnival did an analysis of all the coaching performances of the last 8 years. Danny Mac's was very impressive considering the talent level (according to Rivals and Scout) he had compared to the rest of the conference, nation. It was one of the more impressive coaching performances this season. Compared to Dodge (obvi) he was amazing.

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2013/11/27/5147044/find-a-coach-by-the-numbers-part-ii

Recommend you read that, download the data and take a look. Got a post in the works about McCarney but you can glean all that I will say just by looking at this.

• Upvote 3

If we don't have the money to do both, we shouldn't be involved in NCAA athletics at the highest level.

Come on, guys.

Don't disagree, but why is Benford still here?? What are we waiting for to make a move there?!?

We need to extend DMac, and put a little more in the pot for his assistants. I'd just like to see us do everything possible to keep as much of this football staff together as we possibly can. If you think we've got enough donor backing to do both, great. I hope you are right.

Really, my first post was fishing for some fly on the wall insider to pop in and reassure us that all is well and not to worry....not all these replies debating whether or not to extend DMac's contract. We need to extend DMac. Maybe not for 10 years to life, but he needs a reasonable extension. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. :):sword:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Don't disagree, but why is Benford still here?? What are we waiting for to make a move there?!?

We need to extend DMac, and put a little more in the pot for his assistants. I'd just like to see us do everything possible to keep as much of this football staff together as we possibly can. If you think we've got enough donor backing to do both, great. I hope you are right.

Really, my first post was fishing for some fly on the wall insider to pop in and reassure us that all is well and not to worry....not all these replies debating whether or not to extend DMac's contract. We need to extend DMac. Maybe not for 10 years to life, but he needs a reasonable extension. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. :):sword:

Maybe Fly on the Wall not popping in is more significant than if he did. Ever think of that?

Also, you need to read the basketball forum more. :ph34r:

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Maybe Fly on the Wall not popping in is more significant than if he did. Ever think of that?

Also, you need to read the basketball forum more. :ph34r:

Good point.

....it's hard to visit that forum for too long, these days. Just gets me too worked up. Not necessarily the posts on the forum, per se, but just having to even think about our basketball team at all. I'd almost rather just stick a fork in my eye.

• Upvote 1

Two or three year extension with a base salary around $750,000

Yea...sounds about right...maybe with some bonus bucks if he can get us in the top 25 or take us to a certain bowl game or games (and win), etc. He is always talking about "results" and "performance"...so..compensation should reflect this !

Edited by houstonmeangreen

I have seen some chatter out of the Middle Tennessee folks that their beat reporter is reporting that ESPN has been working to put together a Boise St/Notre Dame matchup in the Hawaii bowl. This could be what RV was referring to about a team trying to flex its muscles.

This could be the cause of having to try and scramble and get a team in the Armed Forces (and why ESPN would try to help it happen), and would make sense why RV is 99.9% sure we will play in the DFW.

Sadly, it would contradict the grassy knoll theory.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 2

Wow, it looks like Vito is taking a shot at some of our posters with the following quote:

"If you don’t like Dan McCarney, there is probably something functionally wrong with you as a human being."

Well, since most on this board have never talked to Mac, I doubt Vito was speaking to anyone on here. It was just an observation on Mac's personality, which has always been exactly what UNT needed.

Again, fan boards really aren't that important in real life. I think we need to get over ourselves.