Trip to Tulsa Head Count

All About UNT

It's not too early to talk about this and hopefully merely discussing it can get some of you on the fence types to commit.

The game is 11/30 and the time is not announced as of YET!

Team Hotel is the Hyatt Regency Downtown and the rate is $92.65 a night. The hotel is a mere two blocks from the Brady Arts District http://www.thebradyartsdistrict.com/map/ and is 8 minutes away from Chapman Stadium https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hyatt+regency+tulsa+to+tulsa+stadium&ie=UTF-8&ei=aaOBUuj5BuO52QX7s4HABA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

I will probably be staying Friday and Saturday but might just head out from OKC on Saturday morning.

I will post other relevant info in this thread once I get a couple of answers back about where the Alumni meetup spot is and where the tailgate will take place.

These Seniors and this team deserves our strong support for a game that is so close to DFW.

So......Roll Call.........Who is going?

Allow me to play tour guide for a minute.

First, I was in the TU athletic department offices today and I got some pretty dirty looks before I realized I had on a NT cap! HA! Anyhow I removed the cap (they are a client after all) and headed back to my client's office. He was saying that they really hope we travel well and I assured them we will bring a decent crowd given the proximity to DFW and the weight of this final game of the season.

OK...... tour guide section.

Let me start by saying there are two very divided sections of Tulsa. There is Midtown/Downtown and South Tulsa. There are lots of chain restaurants and hotels in South Tulsa. If that appeals to you..... stay home and watch the game from a damn Hooters/Chilis/Buffalo Wild Wings in Plano/Carrollton/Frisco. HA! No really though, if you want to experience Tulsa, stay and drink and eat in Downtown or Midtown (although hotels are more available downtown)

There are a lot of great places to stay downtown, let me give you some information from a local. Here are some of our favorites.

Mayo Hotel

This is a beautiful historic hotel in the heart of downtown. It was restored about 5 years ago (it cost a fortune for the owners) and is the hotel that all the big stars stay at who play the BOK Center. It's not cheap, but if you're bringing someone to impress... this is a great hotel. http://www.themayohotel.com/

Ambassador Hotel

This is the sister hotel to the Mayo, it's just outside downtown and a beautiful hotel in a quiet part of town near some great dining and what some believe to be the best coffee anywhere at DoubleShot. Read the reviews before you go to have coffee there. If you like cream and sugar and Starbucks.... choose another place. Again, the Ambassador can be spendy.

Marriott Courtyard

If you love historic downtowns and specifically Art Deco architecture, this is your place. In the heart of Tulsa's Deco District (huge collection of beautiful Art Deco skyscrapers) this hotel is only a few years old. It was opened in part of the old Atlas Life Building. There is a great fine Italian restaurant near here and it's not far from the Brady District and other downtown attractions. Walking distance for most. The buildings are truly amazing though, if you dig that kind of thing you will love Tulsa. Also, if you like fine men's gifts that are American made, check out my friends shop in this district called Bison and Bear. Lot's of cool stuff, tons of it made here in Tulsa.

www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tultd-courtyard-tulsa-downtown/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bison-Bear/304785372892339

Aloft Downtown

This is a brand spanking new hotel that was built in the old Tulsa City Hall (they completely gutted it and started over) and it's really cool if you like Aloft hotels (uber modern design and not terribly expensive). It was placed to serve those who are attending shows at BOK Arena and the Convention Center, but it's an easy walk to the Brady and Deco Districts and a nice cab ride to the Blue Dome. They just put a ton of money in this place, done by the same folks that did the Mayo Hotel renovation.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3736

Hyatt

A nice hotel that's close to the Brady District and Blue Dome. It's not in the middle of everything, but does have great views of the Williams/BOK Tower (a half scale version of the World Trade Center towers, designed by the same architect and built shortly after the WTC)

DoubleTree

The DoubleTree is a nice place, but is far from the entertainment districts in downtown. They have a great government rate if you happen to suck on the teat of the taxpayer (my father does), but plan to cab it to restaurants and entertainment downtown.

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/oklahoma/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-tulsa-downtown-TULSDDT/index.html

Holiday Inn City Center

This is a really nice hotel with a great restaurant, it's not as far from entertainment as the Double Tree, but it's not as close as most of the others.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/tulsa/tulms/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qChld=0&qRms=1&qPSt=0&qSmP=3&qWch=0&qSHp=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv&qSrt=BRAND_SORT&qRpp=25&qRRSrt=rt&qFRA=1&srb_u=1&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-GoogleMaps-_-hi-_-tulms

Fairfield Inn Brady District

If you want to party/dine/shop and just hang out in the very cool Brady Arts District, this is the place to stay. It's brand new, cheap (if you can get a room) and smack in the middle of the Brady. The best steakhouse in town (and most formal/expensive) is in this hotel's building. It's called Pryme.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tuldt-fairfield-inn-and-suites-tulsa-downtown/

Savoy

This is a funky little luxury hotel with very few rooms in a very quiet little part of town (but with restaurants and bars in walking distance. I haven't stayed here, but have been inside and it's very nice. It's just to the east (towards TU) of downtown. Again... if you are bringing someone to impress... this is a great place.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hotel-Savoy/114281871929892

Campbell Hotel

OK, this is a really cool little hotel across the street from TU, but if you want a room, book NOW, it's not a big place and sells fast. It has a neat little bar, a great restaurant and you can be at the stadium in 5 or less walking minutes. The rooms are all different and were designed by local designers during one of the showcase events they have here in Tulsa. We walk here most weekends to eat brunch. It's a quick cab ride or drive back downtown to hit the districts.

Desert Hills Motel

Long for the yesteryear of Route 66? Love neon? Plan on driving your classic car up? Not scared by the occasional appearance of a hooker? Looking for an affordable room? This is your place. A real 1953 motor court on historic Route 66 that is kept in pretty decent shape and is not far (not walking distance) from the TU campus. It's in a not great part of town, but lots of Route 66 tourists stay here every summer. A neat place if that's what you are looking for.

http://www.deserthillstulsa.com/

OK, let's talk food.... please, please, please, please don't eat chain food while you are here in Tulsa. Tulsa LOVES it's local restaurants and they are fantastic. Better than anywhere I have lived. There are far too many places to list them all, but UrbanSpoon is a great guide in this city. Below are a couple of my favorites.

Maxxwells

This is the restaurant at the Campbell Hotel. Very affordable, very good. Close to campus. Dinner is great, brunch is better.

Burn Co. BBQ

This is real BBQ. As real as anywhere in the city. Two cool young guys run it, it's currently located across the street from the stadium, but will likely move to 18th and Boston before the game. Lunch only, show up early, they sell out by 1pm-2pm most days. Game days will be earlier.

The Tavern

A great place in the Brady Arts District for a nice causal or even semi dressy meal. Mid-range on price, high on service and quality. If you have a group and want a cool experience, book the chef's table (nothing fancy, it's literally a table in the kitchen) This place has great drinks and even better food.

Tacos Don Fransico

Great little taco stand near the campus. A dive (they just translated the menu into English a couple years ago) but it's open late and is great for cheap late night (3am) eats.

The entire Blue Dome District

Really great restaurants with neat themes from local developers. The Dilly Deli has the best casual Sunday Brunch in downtown without a doubt. El Guapo has OK food, but a great rooftop with good drinks and a stellar view of downtown (may be closed by then do to cold weather). McNellies is a real Irish pub with great food and a huge HUGE beer selection.

There are so many great places to eat. Check out as many as you can while you are here. Need something specific? Shoot me a PM or post here.

There are lots of great bars here, but after a couple trips to New Orleans with Stebo.... I no longer partake in large quantities. ;) There are neat little bars tucked all over town. One I really like is https://www.facebook.com/valkyrietulsa they are a little snotty about drinks, but if you like a cocktail, this is a great place.

Also, Ed's Hurricane Lounge (across from TU) is NOT a friendly neighborhood sports bar..... it's a pretty hard core old bike bar. The only guy I ever knew who went there regularly was a real honest to God Bandido. They do have a sign stating you can't wear your colors... so I guess that's friendly? They also have an amateur lingerie night. I am sure that's REAL friendly.

The bar at the Campbell Hotel is pretty cool and close to campus.

If you are a "want to be seen" kinda guy, the bars on Brookside will get you seen by lots of other people that want to be seen. For a more relaxed neighborhood bar district check out Cherry Street. And of course the Brady and Blue Dome districts downtown are hopping. Stop in The Dust Bowl and you can have a drink and bowl a round.

Too much and yet not enough at the same time. It's a great city. Great enough I will probably never come back to Texas. It's the perfect size and we have everything you could need without all the traffic.

See you here!

Shane

Edited by shaneb
  • Upvote 6

Calesi.... party of 8.

Emphasized the key word for you there.

Shaneb gave a real nice rundown of Tulsa. I was really surprised at what a cool little town it is. They really do have excellent food and drink options there. I tried several of the places that Shaneb mentions and concur that they're all great.

I may be headed down to Baton Rouge for Thanksgiving, so that would make the drive to Tulsa unfeasible. Either way, my regular dog sitter is on strike, so I have to find an alternative for that.

Really??

No committment to going to tulsa anyway. This game is the definition of a trap game. It will be a light crowd due to fall off after homecoming and students being gone for thanksgiving.

Our offense has been very average and we have won with defensive and special teams scores - we cant keep counting on that. This will be the best offense we have seen since since Georgia.

Tulsa is a great city and the University of Tulsa is a pretty campus. The last time we went there, we met lots of really nice Tulsa fans. kSkelly Stadium will remind you of Fouts and make Apogee seem even nicer. I may go back, however, I am convinced that when I go on the road to watch NT, we lose. I may take one for the team and stay home. No decision yet.

For now,

Beat UTSA. Then, beat everybody else.

GO MEAN GREEN

I'm from okc and I'm hoping to be in the area visiting family for the holiday. Should allow me an opportunity to go to the game and bring a +1

• Upvote 1

No committment to going to tulsa anyway. This game is the definition of a trap game. It will be a light crowd due to fall off after homecoming and students being gone for thanksgiving.

Our offense has been very average and we have won with defensive and special teams scores - we cant keep counting on that. This will be the best offense we have seen since since Georgia.

Classes continue through Wednesday.. Students will be there, no one is gonna miss 3 days of classes.. W/ that being said I will be in Tulsa w/ 4 roommates/friends.. GMG

• Upvote 1

Classes continue through Wednesday.. Students will be there, no one is gonna miss 3 days of classes.. W/ that being said I will be in Tulsa w/ 4 roommates/friends.. GMG

Ahh, thanks for the correction. My kids HS doesn't have school all that Thanksgiving week, so I assume universities didn't either. That is good.

I remember a few games during Thanksgiving week that were very poorly attended in the past, those must of been the saturday after Thanksgiving - and we sucked so that didn't help.