And the 2 weeks of UTSA Smack/Food talk continues

Harry

That's funny. I work down by the old TI plant 121 business/round grove and there is a Taqueria inside a Valero. Definitely not Tex Mex. I eat there a couple times a month. Plenty of locals in line every time I go there. Definitely fits the hole in the wall standards.

Edited by greenit

Do you eat sushi? Do you have about $100 per person? Then run, don't walk to Keiichi.

Make sure to make reservations though or you're in for an awkward surprise.

----

Also for the definitive word on Taco's in town:

http://wedentondoit.com/archives/2012/8/6/a-guide-to-the-east-mckinney-taco-corridor-emtc.html

That's funny. I work down by the old TI plant 121 business/round grove and there is a Taqueria inside a Valero. Definitely not Tex Mex. I eat there a couple times a month. Plenty of locals in line every time I go there. Definitely fits the hole in the wall standards.

Same way here, I needed to call upon my almost Spanish minor to get the gals' opinion on what to order, but it didn't disappoint.

I wonder what Lynn Hickey would say is his favorite Mexican Restaurant in SA?

I don't know but she took me to lunch at The Yard House once. I was pressured to order tacos. They were okay. As I was getting my web site name taken from me I wasn't very hungry so I cannot really judge objectively. She is good people though. Like RV, she will not stop selling her program and the trying to get me and my friend with me to donate. She has a great story about playing basketball with her siblings -- all played in college at some level.

La Sabrocita is awesome-sauce. I lived on Dallas Drive in my time there and we'd go up to grab barbacoa. Best I've had in Denton. Not really greasy, and they have good tortillas too.

Oh gawd I'm so hungry now. When I go back up for the UTSA game I'm definitely stopping by. Who is down for some Mexican restaurant in' on the friday before?

• Upvote 1

I don't know but she took me to lunch at The Yard House once. I was pressured to order tacos. They were okay. As I was getting my web site name taken from me I wasn't very hungry so I cannot really judge objectively. She is good people though. Like RV, she will not stop selling her program and the trying to get me and my friend with me to donate. She has a great story about playing basketball with her siblings -- all played in college at some level.

La Sabrocita is awesome-sauce. I lived on Dallas Drive in my time there and we'd go up to grab barbacoa. Best I've had in Denton. Not really greasy, and they have good tortillas too.

Oh gawd I'm so hungry now. When I go back up for the UTSA game I'm definitely stopping by. Who is down for some Mexican restaurant in' on the friday before?

I am for sure. Will be the gf's first time in SA. Would like to show her a good time.
  • Upvote 1

Taco Bueno.... lol

What about El Guapos?

good lord... el guapo's is TERRIBLE!!!! mi casita is better... although that isn't saying too much

I feel that I am pretty open when it comes to all things food, of course, having lived in South Texas, tacos are king and Tex-Mex reigns supreme. The hotter the better is my M.O.. So... that is where my judgement stems from. I will admit that my sample size is not that big. I have used Yelp to assist with my search but the reviews differ vastly from my palate. So either, I have been going to some awful places or I need to adjust my taste buds to survive. I need to find more hole in the wall joints. Also, I live in N. Richland Hills, (which feels like Chain Restaurant Heaven) so that could be why.

Recent meals:

El Rancho Grande: A coworker hyped this and it was very disappointing. Beans were bland and fajitas were overly seasoned.

Taco Bueno: Reminds me of Taco Bell but worse

El Chico: Glad I got queso for free but just not what I am looking for. Good prices for lunch though.

Rosa's Cafe & Tortilla Factory: Wow, this was horrendous. Flat out waste of money. I would rather go to Taco Cabana.

Mi Cocina: Not bad but too expensive and trendy.

El Fenix: One poster said this was good. Not in my opinion. Beans came from a can and salsa was weak.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am seriously interested in finding some good Mexican food.

If you really want to take some time to find some decent Mexican food, come down Oak Cliff and explore around a bit... the environment is a little different but it tastes a little more like home to me (RGV for lyyyyyyfe)

however, I have to say... Dallas area restaurants insist on putting cheese on top of beans... which baffles me to no end

Edited by golfingomez

I grew up in El Paso. That being said, there is no good Mexican food in the Metroplex. Tex Mex yes. Mexican food no.

lulz... el pasoans are very adamant about people knowing they aren't eating Mexican food, any time i go there or talk to someone from there, they bring this up...

i will definitely admit though... if you want salsa, el paso makes it the spiciest... they leave all the seeds in there!

good lord... el guapo's is TERRIBLE!!!! mi casita is better... although that isn't saying too much

If you really want to take some time to find some decent Mexican food, come down Oak Cliff and explore around a bit... the environment is a little different but it tastes a little more like home to me (RGV for lyyyyyyfe)

however, I have to say... Dallas area restaurants insist on putting cheese on top of beans... which baffles me to no end

La Mexicana across the street from El Guapos is good -- much more authentic style. La Sabrocita is a good place for cheap tacos, especially at 2 a.m.

• Upvote 1

What?! I don't know. I like Chuys.

Some advice for those looking for good Tex-Mex in the Denton area.

Put on a pair of wind pants or sweat pants. (You'll know why post-meal) Get on 377 and head south to Roanoke. Drive past the Wal-Mart and the 114 intersection to the Albertson's parking lot. Turn into it. Drive past the McDonald's and you'll see a little slice of Tex-Mex heaven called Los Molcajetes. It's right next to the liquor store.

Order the Carne Asada. Enjoy the chips and salsa while you wait.

No need to thank me.

I like several things at Fernando's great cilantro salsa, good enchiladas, real good pork tamales, brisket tacos are decent, plus a couple of their signature dishes. The Uncle Julio's on Lemmon it was the original and I really like their Beef fajitas and their chips, always seems consistent here and very tender. I have not had that experience at other chain locations. Also a few things at Cyclone Anaya, Taco Al Carbon and a couple other things.

Gloria's I know is Honduran, I like their black refried beans.