Dodge Era

jacksondf

To Todd's credit he knew he was in for troubles so he requested to keep 3ish defensive coaches around. The AD refused this request. So... with no mentoring he brought up those asst coaches from HS & then we played OU and... The responsibility for the era is the _________( you fill in the blank)

Not buying this, either. He didn't have to bring his high school staff. He could have gone out and gotten experienced college assistants. He didn't.

Just like RV shouldn't make excuses for his hires, Dodge shouldn't be allowed to, either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My biggest issue with Todd in retrospect is that I believe there are still those who would rather he be here than Mac. In 2.5 years, Mac has won 13 games vs 6 games in 3.5 for Dodge (3 of those 6 against FCS/transitional WKU). And the games we've lost haven't been either A) complete and utter embarrassments of incomprehensible ineptitude or B ) displays of some of the worst clock management/decision making maneuvers in the history of humanity. But there are still those who would rather Dodge still be here. That stubborn, arrogant presence he and his coaching staff emitted along with those who would still rather he be here, keep me a nice, simmering bitter on the whole experience.

I just never got this from him.

I mean, he stuck with what he knew, and he coach-speaked and smokescreened the heck out of his time here. But I don't think he had a choice. He can't say, "Well heck, I guess I'm not ready for this.", or "We're not a good football team because of me." He had to stick to his plan, however bad it was, and stay positive... thus the 'better husbands and fathers' (which I've heard coach Mac, and a myriad of other coaches say) and player-X 'grading out at 90%' or whatever. Stubborn, arrogant, alienating is what I got out of coach Dickey sometimes. Not from Dodge. Deer in the headlights is what I got from Dodge.

But, maybe you have a specific experience with him that I didn't have or something.

• Upvote 4

Don't misunderstand me, Dodge was actually what got me re-involved with UNT sports, but, in hindsight, there were much better candidates out there. It was a gamble, and a terrible hire, and something we should always remember in order not to repeat.

Actually, I quite disagree with you and you made the point i would make. The Dodge hire brought more attention to our program and a lot more fans. It made the student body care again, it seemed like we were serious about football, and I think it helped get the Apogee vote passed. To bad everything about the football side was a disaster, because it could have been a home run hire.

• Upvote 2

Actually, I quite disagree with you and you made the point i would make. The Dodge hire brought more attention to our program and a lot more fans. It made the student body care again, it seemed like we were serious about football, and I think it helped get the Apogee vote passed. To bad everything about the football side was a disaster, because it could have been a home run hire.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. It wasn't, and that's all that matters, in hindsight.

Yes, I stuck around. But many more hit the door when they saw the same ole same ole.

Terrible hire. The next time we are in the market for a head coach, I don't care if there is a high school coach who has won 20 straight championships, he shouldn't even get an interview.

Learn from your mistakes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. It wasn't, and that's all that matters, in hindsight.

Yes, I stuck around. But many more hit the door when they saw the same ole same ole.

Terrible hire. The next time we are in the market for a head coach, I don't care if there is a high school coach who has won 20 straight championships, he shouldn't even get an interview.

Learn from your mistakes.

Odus Mitchell (hired from Marshall HS) 1946-1966, 122-85-9

Dennis Parker (also hired from Marshall HS) 1991-1993, 11-21-1

Todd Dodge, (Southlake HS) 2007-2010, 6-37

So what is the lesson? Since our former Marshall hires did much better, if we are going to hire a HS head coach in the future make sure it's from Marshall?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

So what is the lesson? Since our former Marshall hires did much better, if we are going to hire a HS head coach in the future make sure it's from Marshall?

No. The lesson is DONT HIRE A HIGH SCHOOL COACH.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I understand the deal, there will be no more head coaches hired that don't have prievious college head coach experience.

How Tony Benford flew under the radar is a mystery to me.

Beat Southern Mississippi(yahoo). Then beat everybody else

GO MEAN GREEN

So you are saying there will never be another head coach hired without college head coaching experience in the past.

Unless there is a head coach hired without college head coaching experience in the past.

Got it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are...Marshall?!?!

Wow. Had no idea Odus was from Marshall HS too. I think Dennis was a good guy, but it almost makes me wonder if the Marshall connection was an influence on his hiring. Naw! At least I hope not.

My old high school football coach is currently the coach at Marshall. haha.

Running off our entire coaching staff after firing DD was the biggest mistake of all. No reason for that, and whoever made that call deserves the blame, impo. Losing our old special teams coach was especially painful. We had a great one there.

I have no idea what went on behind the scenes and I can dream up all kinds of consipiracy theories....but I choose not to. We've got the program headed in a positive direction now. Thank goodness for that.

• Upvote 1