New Orleans/Tulane Game Role Call and 2013 Trip Details!

kj86

As a side note...for anybody able to go "by the seat of your pants" (which is how I usually like to travel - spontaneity can be the best part)...if you are able to have some wiggle room in your departure/arrival dates, check the travel deal sites (Travelocity, priceline, etc.) regularly. By giving myself an extra day or two to play with, I've gotten some crazy good deals on airfare and some pretty decent hotels.

So I've been able to get in an extra day or two sometimes, but still ended up paying the same as if I'd been strict about the "arrive the night before, leave the morning or afternoon after" standard. I do like to plan ahead, but by planning a range instead of a strict timeline you can get some awesome deals that let you stretch your money quite a bit. Extra time to find a couple more cool restaurants or bars and wander around/get lost can make a great trip even better.

Basically, if you plan your trip around a couple of details but have the freedom to make up the rest as you go along...it's awesome.

New member here btw, been lurking here forever and finally decided to make a profile. Just graduated from NT last May.

Gonna be making it out to my first away game in NO with my gf, can't wait to see all the other Mean Green fans in attendance! GMG

Welcome aboard! Congrats on your graduation...enjoy NOrleans and bring home a Mean Green win, and nothing else you "caught" on Bourbon Street while celebrating the win.

• Upvote 2

New member here btw, been lurking here forever and finally decided to make a profile. Just graduated from NT last May.

Gonna be making it out to my first away game in NO with my gf, can't wait to see all the other Mean Green fans in attendance! GMG

Welcome to the board Mr. Guthrie I look forward to sharing a cold one with you on bourbon street!

Here is the info on the official Mean Green bar/gathering place in New Orleans:

EVENT DETAILS: UNT Alumni and Fans Gathering – UNT vs. Tulane Weekend – New Orleans, LA

Event Site:
http://www.711bourbonheat.com/

Bourbon Heat

711 Bourbon Street

New Orleans, LA 70116

(Located between St. Peter & Orleans)

ATTIRE:

UNT Spirit Wear

FOOD/DRINK:

Limited complimentary appetizers will be provided by the UNT Alumni Association to guests. First come, first serve. UNT alumni and fans wearing green and/or Mean Green spirit wear will be offered drinks a discounted prices for the group.

LOCATION/SEATING:

UNT will have an event space upstairs inside Bourbon Heat dedicated to our group. The event will be a social hour format and feature limited cocktail and bar area seating. Guests must purchase drinks from the upstairs bar during the event to receive “Mean Green Fan” discount pricing. Guests will also have access to the balcony overlooking Bourbon Street.

*Bourbon Heat will be the Mean Green Headquarters for the entire weekend. UNT Alumni and fans will be encouraged to join us there on Saturday, October 5 before the game, as well as afterwards to celebrate a Mean Green victory! *

I finally created an account to say that my girlfriend and I will be making the trip to NO. Looking forward to our first away game experience.

Welcome aboard! Glad you are making the trip. Great town -- it's really a blast. We have a guy in our group that hasn't been before so I'm looking forward to showing him around.

EVENT DETAILS: UNT Alumni and Fans Gathering – UNT vs. Tulane Weekend – New Orleans, LA

Event Site: http://www.711bourbonheat.com/

Bourbon Heat

711 Bourbon Street

New Orleans, LA 70116

ATTIRE:

UNT Spirit Wear

FOOD/DRINK:

Limited complimentary appetizers will be provided by the UNT Alumni Association to guests. First come, first serve. UNT alumni and fans wearing green and/or Mean Green spirit wear will be offered drinks a discounted prices for the group.

LOCATION/SEATING:

UNT will have an event space upstairs inside Bourbon Heat dedicated to our group. The event will be a social hour format and feature limited cocktail and bar area seating. Guests must purchase drinks from the upstairs bar during the event to receive “Mean Green Fan” discount pricing. Guests will also have access to the balcony overlooking Bourbon Street.

*Bourbon Heat will be the Mean Green Headquarters for the entire weekend. UNT Alumni and fans will be encouraged to join us there on Saturday, October 5 before the game, as well as afterwards to celebrate a Mean Green victory! *

Thanks Harry & the Alumni association for putting this on!

Is this only for Saturday/Sunday? Or will there be anything going on Thursday/Friday?

EVENT DETAILS: UNT Alumni and Fans Gathering UNT vs. Tulane Weekend New Orleans, LA

Event Site: http://www.711bourbonheat.com/

Bourbon Heat

711 Bourbon Street

New Orleans, LA 70116

ATTIRE:

UNT Spirit Wear

FOOD/DRINK:

LOCATION/SEATING:

UNT will have an event space upstairs inside Bourbon Heat dedicated to our group. The event will be a social hour format and feature limited cocktail and bar area seating. Guests must purchase drinks from the upstairs bar during the event to receive Mean Green Fan discount pricing. Guests will also have access to the balcony overlooking Bourbon Street.

Perhaps include the Friday get together in this post and then give it it's own thread and pin it?

Just a thought

We will be arriving about midnight Friday so our best bet was to stay near downtown since downtown hotel prices have been outrageous for weekend of the 4th - 6th.

I just bid on Priceline.com and got:

3 1/2 Star Sheraton Metairie New Orleans

Located 5 miles from downtown just off I-10

$60 bid on 3-star and above landed this 3 1/2 star hotel - and parking is free.

Priceline has some short-term, no-bid "specials" as well. I saw a 4-star hotel in the uptown area (bounded by the river, Poydras, Super Dome, Canal Street area) for $121.

Of course, that does not include parking in the $30 - $40 per night range. Add in taxes and Priceline fees + parking and the $121 hotel just became close to a $200 per night hotel.

The last time we stayed at the John W. Marriott on Canal parking was $35 a night so I am guessing $40 a night now.

Where to park on Saturday coming in from Metairie? Consider driving from downtown out St. Charles Avenue and parking along the street (out in the Garden District) and then riding the street car in to Canal Street. Street cars run frequently during the day and every 30-minutes after about 10 or so at night.

Perfectly safe - I have been parking on St. Charles and riding the street car for years because I am cheap!

GMG

• Upvote 1

You can RSVP and get more information here:

http://untheadquartersneworleans.eventbrite.com/

to answer another question it looks like 6pm on Friday and before after the game. Will make for a good home base for everyone down there. Thanks to the Alumni Association for putting it together! For those that haven't made plans it is not too late! This will without a doubt be the funnest road trip we have had since the New Orleans Bowls!

Here is more info from the alumni association:

Friday night will be the "official" get together at 6:00 pm till 8:00 (or later if people are wanting to stay). The EventBrite link should help to answer most of the questions, but if fans have additional questions they can be directed to email alumni@unt.edu or call 940-565-2834 & we're happy to answer inquiries.

Saturday we'll have a meet up before the game starting around 11:00 am and then head up to the game. Hopefully we'll all have a reason for a big celebration after the game & we'll use Bourbon Heat as the post game meeting spot as well.

Similar to Luckys format in Hot Springs. The folks at Bourbon Heat are really excited about hosting our fans throughout the weekend.

My roommate and I really want to go to is game but it would be just too expensive for just both of us to drive down.

Why not see if you can ride along with somebody else who may have room for more? Throw open a new thread to see if anybody can offer a ride so you can save the gas money. Maybe somebody will even let you sleep on the floor in their hotel room if they're not going with a significant other and you can take along a sleeping bag or something.

• Upvote 2