Highly recruited ex-Valor Christian quarterback Brock Berglund lost

the two loves of his life in a matter of weeks. One was his girlfriend

of two years; the other was football.

Getting ready to start over at Scottsdale Community College this

fall, Berglund looks back at what could have been. His eyes fade past

you as he breaks a smile remembering the good times, the laughter and

even the tears.

He sighs.

“Man, I miss football,” he says wistfully.

Why he misses football dates back to the spring of 2011, when the

6-foot-4 Berglund changed his intent from CU to Kansas in hopes of

topping the depth chart as a Jayhawk. It was then that Berglund found

that his greatest competition wasn’t in Lawrence, Kan.; it was back in

his hometown of Highlands Ranch – at a house party.

On June 24, 2011, the Douglas County Sheriff’s office put out a

warrant for Berglund’s arrest just six months after Berglund had led

Valor to its second-consecutive 4A football title. He was to be charged

with felony assault, which if convicted meant he’d be draped against a

line of cold-metal bars for the next five to 25 years

“He would have caused harm to me,” he groans, remembering the night

that changed his life. “I didn’t mean to mess his ear – or whatever –

up.”

He took a deep breath, and then explained.

Days removed from breaking up by phone with his girlfriend, Madison

Meyers, Berglund said he came home to visit family and friends.

On April 9, 2011, Berglund attended a friend’s house party, where he

bumped into Meyers, who was with Chris Hollern, the guy she dated before

Berglund. All of them were in the same class at Valor.

“She wasn’t even invited,” Berglund said curtly. “Neither was he.”

According to Berglund, Meyers first asked if she could talk with him

in the kitchen, to where the three-star recruit did what he does best

and passed.

“But then she started making a scene in front of my friends, so I was

like, ‘Okay,’” says Berglund shaking his head. “And we went down the

hall to talk. It was calm from there.”

Read more: http://milehighsports.com/2012/09/27/mhsm-exclusive-the-story-of-brock-berglund-2/

Lots of things that are other people's fault. Lets hope he has grown past that aspect of his life.

The whole assault thing had to have been parent driven by the other kid's parents. Probably looking for a free check.

Anyone else remember their high school days when their was a fight at just about every party? Hell, I have a friend that grew up in a very rural setting. They used to fight every Friday night for something to do. They weren't even mad at each other.

• Upvote 1

Lots of things that are other people's fault. Lets hope he has grown past that aspect of his life.

The whole assault thing had to have been parent driven by the other kid's parents. Probably looking for a free check.

Anyone else remember their high school days when their was a fight at just about every party? Hell, I have a friend that grew up in a very rural setting. They used to fight every Friday night for something to do. They weren't even mad at each other.

The fight is not very concerning... but I don't know why Weis would have to lie. Kinda concerning, and it fits with how he was at Scottsdale for less than a month before transferring here.

Obviously, we don't know the whole story, but I hope Brock is the player we think he is and that he's happy here, otherwise, he could be gone in a poof, kinda like Vizza.

• Upvote 3

Lets hope he has grown past that aspect of his life.

I think this is the most important part of this. When you get older, you learn to not put yourself in certain situations and if you happen to find yourself in one, you find better ways to deal with them.

I'm excited about having this guy leading this team. He has more tangibles than any QB we've had in a long, long time. Hopefully it's a gamble that pays off.

• Upvote 1

I think this is the most important part of this. When you get older, you learn to not put yourself in certain situations and if you happen to find yourself in one, you find better ways to deal with them.

I kinda meant the whole blaming everyone else for things that he is responsible for, but ya, it's a part of growing up.

Lets hope he has.

• Upvote 1

The fight is not very concerning... but I don't know why Weis would have to lie. Kinda concerning, and it fits with how he was at Scottsdale for less than a month before transferring here.

Obviously, we don't know the whole story, but I hope Brock is the player we think he is and that he's happy here, otherwise, he could be gone in a poof, kinda like Vizza.

He was a Scottsdale for such a short time because if he had stayed there for the fall semester then he would not have been eligible to transfer here or anywhere else in time for this spring semester.

Also, he's pretty settled in here and he would be best served finishing his college career here. He has 3 years to play 3 seasons and transferring after this year would be pointless.

• Upvote 1

He was a Scottsdale for such a short time because if he had stayed there for the fall semester then he would not have been eligible to transfer here or anywhere else in time for this spring semester.

Right. I knew the reason. There's a precedent there though with a different version of events than his. It may just be smoke.

Also, he's pretty settled in here and he would be best served finishing his college career here. He has 3 years to play 3 seasons and transferring after this year would be pointless.

All so true. That's why I brought up Vizza. It was very bizarre.

I think I'm pretty clear on my hopes for Berglund. Heck, I predicted a 6-6 record with him as the starter... based on what? Hope.

Obviously, this article clears up nothing, not sure how anyone can draw the conclusions; some are coming up with. Whatever happens, it is time to forget and go forward.Looking forward for a real battle for starting QB.

GG, it does clear up something for me. I sure won't be taking online courses from Kansas University. 40K, wow!

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3

Right. I knew the reason. There's a precedent there though with a different version of events than his. It may just be smoke.

All so true. That's why I brought up Vizza. It was very bizarre.

I think I'm pretty clear on my hopes for Berglund. Heck, I predicted a 6-6 record with him as the starter... based on what? Hope.

Yes there could very well be smoke. Just from seeing the way Brock conducts himself I feel a degree of confidence with regards to him off the field at this point.

I'm the same age Brock is and I feel like he knows how to handle social media, interviews, and being in public better than almost everyone on the team and most our age. Most our age just don't understand how damaging what you do or say in the public eye can be, but Brock appears to.

Plus from reading his interviews he's done with all the moving around. He wants to just play football and not deal with anything else.

Yeah, Vizza was a weird case but he also left to go to A&M I thought, and he had more eligibility and a redshirt available when he left.

• Upvote 1

GG, it does clear up something for me. I sure won't be taking online courses from Kansas University. 40K, wow!

That stood out to me as well. I'm sure online courses cost the same as regular ones but geez...what a quote. It basically seemed like, "Hey, he got 40K worth of classes BEFORE TRANSFERRING, so we deserve to get a shot in here somehow." If a player redshirts and then transfers before seeing playing time, wouldn't it be the same cost in terms of what they gained before leaving? Though I'm also pretty impressed by the fact that, even with everything else that was going on, he stayed committed enough to his education that he had a 3.49 GPA.

I'm excited about having this guy leading this team. He has more tangibles than any QB we've had in a long, long time. Hopefully it's a gamble that pays off.

:headache: If ever a college athletic program needed a gamble to pay off I think we all know which athletic program that would be.

• Upvote 1

I have a feeling that he will work out here. Berglund is a recruit that normally doesn't make their way to UNT, so no matter how it has happened, let's just hope he can keep it all on the straight and narrow. Being 6'4" with speed and a strong arm are attributes we haven't seen her in a long time. We need him to be good, even great. If he cannot play at a decent level, in other words, better than what we saw in 2012 at the QB position, I will go ahead and predict that McCarney will get fired before 2015. Decent QB play last year would have gotten us at least one more win, probably more. Coach Mac knows that he cannot have two more losing seasons before 2015, so I think he knows fully just how much Berglund means to this team and the future.

• Upvote 3

I have a feeling that he will work out here. Berglund is a recruit that normally doesn't make their way to UNT, so no matter how it has happened, let's just hope he can keep it all on the straight and narrow. Being 6'4" with speed and a strong arm are attributes we haven't seen here, ever.

• Upvote 1