Rivals Latest Rankings of All 123 NCAA FBS Schools

PlummMeanGreen

I'd love to know why Mac and his staff can't seem to convince anyone of what we are trying to do up in Denton. Fran is killing us

Yeah but Fran wasn't available when we hired Mac.

Wait, he was, but our recruiting is way better. Nobody wants to play for that guy.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I'd love to know why Mac and his staff can't seem to convince anyone of what we are trying to do up in Denton. Fran is killing us

Coach Fran was many of our's first choice, but some of us heard our present AD had a problems with him from their days at TCU. I don't think Fran even got an interview did he? I have no idea

about the validity of our AD versus Fran story while at TCU, but it was one that I heard from somebody connected with the program.

I believe Coach Fran had 8 Rivals 3 stars in his first recruiting class last year in San Marcos. So now TSU-SM has 16 Rivals "3" star athletes on campus but.......... I still think the unfortunate part of all this for TSU-SM is that they won't get many OOC games with other Texas-based NCAA FBS programs (besides UTSA) so they will have to make their

hay in the Sun Belt and very well may start dominating that conference in the next 2 years; who knows, even might become the SBC's version of Northern Illinois with a Top 25 ranking to boot. Get ready for that to happen, green kool-ade drinkers. Just make sure you hide the arsenic if it does. :)

Francione can build a football program once he decides to stay and not get too entrepaneurish with a money scheme website such as the one that got him in trouble at TAMU or Alabama as I recall.

North Texas has turned down a very eager to get the North Texas job Dennis Francione (I think) 2 X's now. First time was when we chose Dennis Parker from Marshall, Texas, instead..

I hope Coach Mac can make it happen in Denton but I have to wonder about his overall health now as to be able to lead a football program whose back is against the wall as ours has been for 8 years now. No job (especially the UNT job) is worth one jeopardizing their health at all..

Apogee Stadium might as well be Fouts Field as far as recruiting has gone since it opened and I just don't get that part of all this at all. In Denton, its like we are still trying to put round pegs into square holes in our athletic department but no one seems to care up there as far as the ones with the power to break this cycle.

Based on our trend of the last 10 or so years, I fear we will have another 10 years like the last 10 with our present leaders, but what do I know, I'm just another Negative Ned who only counts wins versus losses and winning seasons versus losing seasons over a period of years as the truest barometer of how we are progressing or regressing at North Texas. Unfortuately, I don't think Lane Rawlins and the UNT BOR's seem to measure a program's succcess the same, though. I do wish they would enlighten us all and tell us what they do use as their own barometers of success as far as an athletic program is concerned.

This program cannot afford to happen what is still happening to it with what I see as no end in sight. Schools passed us by in the Sun Belt and I fear what our chances will be in a conference like CUSA that will year in and year out be the stronger of the 2 conferences IMHO. Those schools who are out-recruiting us year in and year out are going to most years beat us as they have the last 8 years in a row in the SBC. We all get delusional and think our time will finally come but the kind of results we had today versus other schools at our level will I think bring us back to reality very quickly--it has me for sure. We all thought basketball would give us a break from all our football failures of the last 8 years and raise the tide of success around Denton in at least something but even that has been a disaster. This trend we have going on in Denton is not a good trend at all, folks.

Those who have been around a few decades pretty well know we just plain don't do the athletic thing well at all in Denton. If I were Dr. Rawlins and his BOR's I would honest to goodness clean house now on the eve of our CUSA membership if for no other reason to show the UNT constituency that they are truly serious about putting a winning NCAA FBS program in Denton. Hell, just start the thing all over from scratch and act like we're a brand new "start up" program.

GMG!.

PS: I think we got some fine future talent today but isn't it amazing how if we had more 3 star athletes on our campus how that would make our 2 star athletes raise their own level another star or 2 and they themselves become much better college football players as a result? Just a theory with that but maybe one worth considering.

PS II Dammit! I just want North Texas football to be on top again before I check out and this is just frustrating the hell out of me (and others of my fellow Old Phart Alums).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You could be right, or they could become a doormat. For their sake, as well as UTSA, they better make hay while they are knew and people are giving them the benefit of the doubt as opposed to proving that you are a bottom dweller (like we have for the past decade) because it makes it much tougher.

I can't help but feel like things are getting better around here, but sadly the only result that matters is wins and those preferably need to start this year.

I say bring on UTSA and TSU. I ain't skeered. Fear of losing is a great motivator. Way better than apathy.

• Upvote 1

So we have a worse class than Charlotte?

Charlotte, folks.

I really think it high time for Dr. Lane Rawlins and our entire UNT Board of Regents to call our athletic dept. leaders over to the Alfred F. Hurley Admin Bldg to have a real, bonafide "come to Jesus" talk about the future of our athletic program--where its been and where it's going and what are the plans (if any) to change its direction. This thing just ain't working up there as is folks and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. It just takes those who can add wins versus losses and add the number of multiple losing seasons which have of late been piggy backing on each other non-stop.

I didn't even think to check out how Charlotte did but to reiterate what UNTflyer posted................"Charlotte, folks?" :(

We will hear spin after spin after spin the next few days on all this but aren't we all just a bit tired of being treated like school kids by some up there who think we must be dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to our ability to discern a good athletic program from one that flat ain't going anywhere?

My Positive Take On This Class From Yesterday:

We are all proud to the person of the new recruits who signed yesterday with many of our life longs passion....North Texas football. And most likely several of whom will probably be fine (maybe even good to outstanding) college football players in due time but truth be known...... they are not the problem here and they can't help if more 3, 4 or 5 star recruits were not brought into Mean Green Country even in Todd Dodges last couple of recruiting years up thru today to enhance the Mean Green teams they will all be part of.

Our own 2 star signees will be just as important as all of Boise State's 2 star recruits were when they signed with the Bronco football program thru the years but difference being is how Boise State meshed all their "2 Stars" signees together with a nice combination of 3 star signees they brought in the last 10 or so years to create annual Top 25 football programs up in Mr. Potato Head Country. So IMHO this is really not about yesterdays signings at all. The problem runs much deeper but maybe more so with a day in and day out athletic adminstrative modus operendi and philosophy that has yet to turn North Texas into an annual juggernaut of a Top 25 ranked winner.

FACT REMAINS THAT......North Texas just doesn't need to have another 10 years like we had the last 10 but for the life of me I see no trend that indicates that it will change. :(

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's Rivals' fault. They raised those kids' ratings when they saw they were signing with Charlotte.

Bahaha.

I saw this list yesterday. Was going to post it, then I had a sports brain aneurysm and couldn't deal with it anymore.

We're still getting whipped on the recruiting trail, going on more than a decade. Sure, there are some notable exceptions and stars that fall through the cracks, but those who keep posting how little recruiting rankings mean need to consider how it correlates with our winning percentage over the same time period. In reality, it does matter. And for whatever reason, we're not getting it done.

• Upvote 4

I realize we're getting beat by the likes of Charlotte, but honestly, I really think this recruiting class is excellent.

I'm sorry, how many stars you have does, in fact, not matter.

JJ Watt was 2-stars. As are most superstars, to be honest. 2/3 star kids.

But we do have a problem and the problem is kids don't respect us and whatever, I understand and move on. But watch, once we win this year, recruiting will change heavily letting Mac get the kids with the stars by their name. Either way, if Mac can't get us higher rated recruits, nobody would've. Even Fran.

Either way, we'll be okay. UTSA and Texas State still haven't passed us by...yet.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, for those of you that are worried, does it make you feel any better that Darius Terrell was originally a 4 star (5.8 rating) coming out of high school and Berglund was a 3 star (5.7 rating). Seems that would have raised our ranking since they weren't included in our list, along with Davis being dropped a star.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1