Six bowls in playoff format

Harry

DENVER -- The BCS commissioners and Presidential Oversight Committee settled on a rotation of six bowls for the semifinals of the upcoming college football playoff system.

Also, the highest-rated champion from the "Group of Five" conferences -- the Big East, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt and Mid-American -- will receive an automatic berth in one of the six access bowls.

Earlier, ESPN reported the six-bowl rotation would be used, as well as an automatic bid awarded for the "Group of Five" conferences.

On Monday, the BCS commissioners and Presidential Oversight Committee reached an agreement on additional details to implement for college football's postseason.

The national semifinals will rotate through the six bowl games, setting up two playoff games and four major bowl games each season. The national title game will be bid out each year through a separate process similar to the Super Bowl.

The six games will include three "contract bowls" and three "host bowls." The spots in the contract bowls are reserved for teams that have deals with those bowls.

The contract bowls are: Rose (Pac-12 vs. Big Ten); Sugar (SEC vs. Big 12) and Orange (ACC vs. Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame).

While a Big Ten or SEC team could be selected to the Orange Bowl, the commissioners have agreed that when the Rose and/or Sugar bowls are hosting the semifinals, the Big Ten or SEC champion will not be placed in the Orange Bowl. Instead, it would have to be placed in one of the three other access bowls to increase the worth of that bowl, sources told ESPN.

Those remaining three access or "host" bowls still must be determined, but the leading candidates are the Fiesta, Cotton and Chick-fil-A, sources said.

With the "Group of Five" earning an automatic bid, that will lock up seven of the 12 berths in the six access bowls along with the Rose, Sugar and Orange. The other five berths will be filled with at-large teams chosen, based on their final rankings, by a yet-to-be-formed selection committee.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby wasn't concerned that his league does not have a second contract bowl.

"I like our opportunities on the open market," said Bowlsby, noting the Big 12 has had at least two teams in the top 12 BCS rankings in 11 of the past 14 years.

The "Group of Five" conferences fought to get automatic access to the six major bowls. It was especially important for the Big East, which has had an automatic berth into the BCS bowls, but in the new system the

conference will not have guaranteed access unless its champion is the top-rated among the "Group of Five."

"I think that it's great," University of South Florida president Judy Genshaft said.

Added Big East commissioner Mike Aresco: "This is a better plan for us. We'll work out the revenue. We'll be fine."

As far as the "Group of Five" not getting the same access or revenue as the Power Five leagues (Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC), Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman said the Presidential Oversight Committee unanimously approved it.

"They did it with a smile on their faces," Perlman said. "They thought it's fair."

read more: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8624387/college-football-playoffs-six-access-bowls-sources-say

Gives a better shot than the old system did. I like it.

This kind of makes SMU's and UH's move to the Big East less significant for them. Yes, they will play bigger names but they are in the same boat as the other conferences.

The statistics seem to indicate that the Big East would have had 8 of the last 9 in that final slot (ie Boise, Louisville etc). What I like is that the access is there, and frankly from a recruiting standpoint we have some capital we didn't have before. You combine that with the regional aspect of C-USA and it's a big opportunity win for North Texas. We have facilities and a good regional league that has access to the top level of bowls now we have to win. It's really all about the final product on the field now.

The Big East will have a better TV deal than C-USA and MWC that will pay more and will give more exposure to the conference. But the biggest advantage the Big East had over the MWC, C-USA, WAC, MAC and SBC was the BCS autobid. That will no longer be the case. The Big East replaced the WAC as a nonAQ conference but once again, they'll get more money that the other four nonAQ's. Basically, they're the tallest midget just like the MWC was before Utah, BYU and TCU left.

C-USA, MWC, MAC and Sun Belt didn't lose much this time, basically it's the same system we had under the BCS. But the Big East is the biggest loser here, being downgraded to mid-major status and having their champ compete against the other four nonAQ's to play at an access bowl.

read more: http://csnbbs.com/sh....php?tid=598821

Love that SMU and UH left CUSA before this happened. They might not have if they knew this was going to be the outcome (although the money would be hard to resist), which wouldn't have allowed us an opportunity to move up.

Thought they were going to the big time and found out that, in essence, they just joined a new version of the MWC.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

The next thing to watch VERY closely is the ESPN TV contract for the Big East. We all know it will be more than C-USA but how much more? I think SMU bettered themselves in basketball and there is no doubt that they will benefit from additional revenues via the TV contract. But bowl access is now pretty even and their fans and opponent fans will have to travel farther to get to games. This is a good outcome for North Texas. Had SMU opted not to go Big East we may have been left out in the cold.

Again - there are no more excuses. We have top notch facilities, a better conference with more regional rivalries, a great location in a hotbed of talent and a solid core of about 15K fans and 10 times that in alumni who are starving for a winner.

It still BS that the Power Five get to split all that dough for doing what exactly? Just having the name they have? I know they sell tickets, yada, yada, yada. I guess they figure they'll feed the dogs table scraps, the dogs will love it after eating kibble and bits their whole life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Awesome, so now CUSA, MWC, and SBC have access to what was once the Big East's auto-berth.

San Diego State & Boise have to re-thinking their move to the Big East.

Even more incredilble is UNT has a shot at the Cotton Bowl.

So if we have this right each year we get a championship game, two semi-final games, and four big bowls (2 contract, 2 access), and then 30 or so regular bowls (all contract).

Where is anyone getting this CUSA champ plays in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (aka the fake cotton bowl game)?

CUSA currently has tie-ins with Liberty, Hawaii, Armed Forces, Beefy O'Brady, Military, New Orleans, and Heart of Dallas. The Liberty bowl traditionally get's the first pick and the rest of the CUSA bowl bids are awarded by the bowls, with geography & drawing power has the major decission point like post mid-major bowls.

And yes the CUSA champ now has a shot at the Cotton, Fiesta, and Chic-fil-a, bowls. That's the whole point of the highest ranked "group of 5" having access to the "access" bowls.

If this format was placed 10 years ago, 9 out of 10 times, the Big East champion would have gotten the bid. That most likely won't change in the forseeable future since all of the BCS busters or near-busters sans Hawaii are in the Big East, Big 12 and Pac-12 now.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If this format was placed 10 years ago, 9 out of 10 times, the Big East champion would have gotten the bid. That most likely won't change in the forseeable future since all of the BCS busters or near-busters sans Hawaii are in the Big East, Big 12 and Pac-12 now.

i'm assuming you are just taking Boise St. and TCU out of the equation somehow?

• Upvote 2

Where is anyone getting this CUSA champ plays in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (aka the fake cotton bowl game)?

CUSA currently has tie-ins with Liberty, Hawaii, Armed Forces, Beefy O'Brady, Military, New Orleans, and Heart of Dallas. The Liberty bowl traditionally get's the first pick and the rest of the CUSA bowl bids are awarded by the bowls, with geography & drawing power has the major decission point like post mid-major bowls.

And yes the CUSA champ now has a shot at the Cotton, Fiesta, and Chic-fil-a, bowls. That's the whole point of the highest ranked "group of 5" having access to the "access" bowls.

You are correct, nothing official announced yet. Just speculation at this point as to where the CUSA #1 will play starting next year. I will update original post.

• Upvote 1

I guess it's something, but it's pretty much just a bone. If the "FBS" division is going to institute a playoff system, it needs to be more along the lines of every other football division. More teams need to be included, and every qualified conference champ needs a bid. By qualified, I mean that it's fair to require conference champs to win at least 9 games and lose no more than 2 before being granted admission to the playoff. With a 16-team playoff, everything can truly be settled on the field rather than in the polls.

i'm assuming you are just taking Boise St. and TCU out of the equation somehow?

I'm putting TCU in the Big 12 and Boise in the new Big East in this equation like I said in my first post smart one. If you look at recent history, the nBE dominates the rankings in the Group of five. 9 time out of 10, the New Big East will get the autobid. An 11-1 nBE team would most likely jump ahead of a 12-0 La Tech team for example, due to SOS. This was basically a win for the BE. The recent deals with ESPN was 10 million per school but NBC is looking to make a higher offer which in turn will cause ESPN to raise their offer as well.

7. Boise State

20. Houston

22. Southern Miss

10. Boise State

15. Nevada

24. Hawaii

25. Central Florida

2009:

3. Cincinatti

6. Boise State

14. BYU (not sure if they would be allowed to take the auto spot from "bottom 5"

2008:

9. Boise State

12. Cincinatti

16. BYU

22. Ball State

2007: (The only year somebody outside of the nBE in this scenario would have gotten the nod)

10. Hawaii (12-0)

17. BYU (10-2)

21. USF

22. Cincinatti

24. Boise State

25. Connecticut

2006:

6. Louisville

8. Boise State

20. BYU

2005:

19. Louisville