Vitriolic Hatred Of SMU: Why?

SMU2006

Maybe things will change in the future between UNT and SMU as the younger grads move forward and propagate. But, for now, it is still a combative subject for sure.

I am sure that a lot of people, not just UNT grads, also see SMU personified in some of their former, high profile graduates. In particular, the recent activities of a Mr Craig James would be a perfect example. In the public eye, CJ not only helped destroy one university (SMU) by accepting inappropriate gifts. But, he severely crippled another university (Tech) by trying to force his will on them (allegedly). Of course, we really don't know the true facts regarding the Tech incidence. But, the media commentaries regarding the incidence are not flattering and further portrays the typical SMU grad as being rich, spoiled and one who values themselves above the rest of the population.

I am not trying to bash SMU further. Instead, I am just trying to give another reason for the animosity.

• Upvote 1

Like many of our Native American dialects are dying away as the older generations pass on, so may the hatred for SMU. Sadly the new generation of the Mean Green Nation knows nothing of the SWC C#*^k block SMU gave us back in the 70's. They unfortunately never had a chance to see the "Cash over Trash" signs. Why most freshman have never even experienced the sneers and snickering at the watercooler of injustice. We need to act now to preserve this hatred. How can you help? I'm glad you asked. For only the price of a cup of coffee per day you too can help keep the bile and disdain flowing like the glorious waters of the River Jordan. With your help, future generations of proud UNT students and alums will have the morsels of anger in their empty stomachs that they so desperately need. Won't you help?

Paid for by The UNT Alumni for a better tomorrow

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 6

Like many of our Native American dialects are dying away as the older generations pass on, so may the hatred for SMU. Sadly the new generation of the Mean Green Nation knows nothing of the SWC C#*^k block SMU gave us back in the 70's. They unfortunately never had a chance to see the "Cash over Trash" signs. Why most freshman have never even experienced the sneers and snickering at the watercooler of injustice. We need to act now to preserve this hatred. How can you help? I'm glad you asked. For only the price of a cup of coffee per day you too can help keep the bile and disdain flowing like the glorious waters of the River Jordan. With your help, future generations of proud UNT students and alums will have the morsels of anger in their empty stomachs that they so desperately need. Won't you help?

Paid for by The UNT Alumni for a better tomorrow

I'm really digging this.

I was once blocked a day or two for saying N*Z*. and others post his picture.... wierd.

Heck... I once referenced making amends for the largest military defeat in Texas history and was given the boot for 3 months.... I'm as perplexed as you.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't mind if a meteor came and hit the campus at SMUt. A lot of people I know that are fish and sophs hate SMU because they're snooty a-holes.

Think we could ever launch the dementors on them? That would learn them good.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 4

Like many of our Native American dialects are dying away as the older generations pass on, so may the hatred for SMU. Sadly the new generation of the Mean Green Nation knows nothing of the SWC C#*^k block SMU gave us back in the 70's.

Their sudden and brief love affair with Ruston, LA was not that long ago.

• Upvote 1

---SMU will be almost begging Texas area teams to play them.... attendence at SMU games has been awful and the Big East teams are not going to bring many of their fans into the stadium. SMU's only large crowds will be when they can schedule some "somewhat local" teams.. You "may" get a bit more national exposure but I suspect at a terrific cost financially... remember there are sports other than football than will need to travel. Your student athletes especially non football will miss a ridiculious amount of class time. It was all about recognition and image (typical SMU)... not the students. Few alums/students will travel to your out of area games ... that won't help your alums school spirit either..

---I do agree with you that SMU is not about to buy their way out of the UNT games.... they need games with Texas area schools even more now... for cash (crowds) and recruiting.

To be fair, I doubt we would have turned down an invite to the Big East either, even though our students would have the same struggles.

• Upvote 1

I agree that SMU will need to keep our Texas-based nonconference schedule intact for attendance/recruiting/budget/etc.

However, one of the things that needs to be considered is the looming TV deal that the Big East will get here in the next year. Depending on who you talk to the annual share per school from that TV deal will be anywhere from 5-15M per school. That is terrific news for a school like SMU that runs a deficit every year in athletics. Also, I'm excited about road games at San Diego State, Boise State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers, and South Florida. Those will be fun trips. In the next few years we have non-conference games with TCU, Texas Tech, A&M, Baylor, and UNT. I'd love for there to be some kind of consistent rotation of these schools. I've even heard whispers that A&M and SMU are considering a yearly matchup with the Aggies headed to the SEC. We will see how that actually plays out but I'd love to have A&M on the schedule every year. I'm stunned that they're actually going to play us at Ford next year. That'll be a terrific atmosphere.

It's actually encouraging to hear that TAMU will play SMU at Ford, because that should negate all the usual things one can usually expect to hear from Denton such as "impossible that said Big Time school will schedule North Texas at Apogee Stadium. Of course, SMU may have put some extra money on the table to get the Aggies to Ford Stadium which also (as I understand it) has triple the parking problems we have until the Pedestrain Bridge across I35-E scheduled for completion this summer alleviates much of our parking situation while providng much easier and quicker access to our stadium.

Signed:

Just another one of those older, antiqued (slowly, fading away) UNT alums whose Native American accent sounds more like Festus of Gunsmoke. :hair:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

If we need another perfect example. Go read the CUSA thread on Ponyfans right now. I especially like the thread about acceptance letters and the kid whose dad won't help him out. On behalf of Bugs Bunny. What an ignoramus. What a maroon. Which way did he go, George, which way did he go?

JRock

• Upvote 1

This. It didn't take me long to learn that there are haters on both sides. Just offer a beer to those who won't pour it over your head...and move on!

Indeed. It's all about the person. I just hired a production assistant who graduated from SMU. Imagine that....a UNT alum hires an SMU grad. Good grief.

JRock

• Upvote 1

This. It didn't take me long to learn that there are haters on both sides. Just offer a beer to those who won't pour it over your head...and move on!

And I'll drink to that! :beerhat:

I've worked for and had a few from SMU work for me in the tech school recruiting business and the amazing thing was how damn well we all got along as we could poke fun at our own respective schools, too. I guess just not on the football field of battle, though, eh? Actually, many of us have said that SMU/UNT was a rivalry just waiting to happen but as they say...it takes 2 to Tango.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Let's face it. We've earned our lack of respect. If the SMUs, UTs, A&Ms and Texas Techs of the world have kept UNT down it's cause we didn't care enough to do something about it and weren't effective in countering it. That said, I have absolutely no doubt that every day representatives of those schools are working against the interests of UNT and thus against the citizens of the North Texas region. For that you get hate but you are not alone.

• Upvote 5

Let's face it. We've earned our lack of respect. If the SMUs, UTs, A&Ms and Texas Techs of the world have kept UNT down it's cause we didn't care enough to do something about it and weren't effective in countering it. That said, I have absolutely no doubt that every day representatives of those schools are working against the interests of UNT and thus against the citizens of the North Texas region. For that you get hate but you are not alone.

--Completely disagree... and we are not just talking about sports. Besides UT and Arkansas [ Royal and Broyle] were the two that wanted us (with Hayden Fry) in the SWC as team #10. This was not too long after admitting Houston as #9. The Pac-8 had just gone to 10 with the two Arizona colleges taken from the WAC. SMU talked TCU and Baylor into opposing us. We needed 7 approvals and only two against... that was three against.. officially no vote was taken... no point with three speaking against it. Arkansas and UT had played us recently and I think UT that year.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

I could write all night on this subject and still not answer many of the things that have been discussed. I sort of have a dog in the fight because my oldest daughter is on the staff at SMU and her daughter goes to TCU. My daughter's late father-in-law was an SMU grad and one of the finest men that I've ever known. I'm also a Methodist. Some of my very best friends are SMU grads. With all of that I still can't stand SMU. I would be willing to forgive (but not forget) but the continued vitriol from their pompous excuse for fans will probably never allow that to happen.

Most of the comments about SMU and keeping us out of the SWC are true. We had the support of Darrel Royal and still couldn't pull it off. True, there was never a vote taken but I think that we saw the handwriting on the wall when Frank Broyles was against us. Arkansas was the only outsider and he didn't want another Texas school to deal with.

The difference between our treatment of SMU and TCU is that (too) many SMU fans are rude and disrespectful of us. TCU simply ignores us. It's hard to be vindictive toward anyone who says little, good or bad, about you.

• Upvote 1

I'm not ancient. I'm a 2007 grad and will hate SMUt until my last breath. My hatred stems from the 2007 game at Ford stadium when some collar-poppin', pink polo wearin', d-bags called my friends and me a slur used for homosexuals that starts with the letter F. I would have loved to give him a "five knuckle introduction" but figured his legal counsel was probably WAY better than mine so we just let it go.

I hate those pompous asshats like nothing else in the world. The constant garbage about North Texas Community College grads mowing their lawn only adds fuel to the fire. I hope McCarney beats them by 50 every time we play and keeps trying to score until the end of the game, just to rub salt in the wound.

I hate everything about SMUt, even their carnival-barker-filled band. :growl::blowup::roadrage:

[/end rant]

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

SMU crossed my mind twice while I was in Denton...the first time was when they nabbed an area top five basketball recruit from us because they were the only school willing to offer his significantly less talented twin brother a scholarship...the next time was more pleasant, the lasting memory of Woody Wilson sprinting 33 yards on a cleared out left side for what would prove to be the game winning touchdown.

• Upvote 1

I didn't much care about SMU when I went to UNT. I moved here from Canada so I didn't know what this was all aboot. But then I moved to SMU territory (Uptown/HP area) about a year and a half ago and I now understand. I do work with one SMU alum who I get along with very well, but he's not a trust funder.

• Upvote 1

The difference between our treatment of SMU and TCU is that (too) many SMU fans are rude and disrespectful of us. TCU simply ignores us. It's hard to be vindictive toward anyone who says little, good or bad, about you.

This. I just wish SMU and UNT would walk separate paths and not begrudge the other for it. I have zero hate or ill feelings towards UNT, but I would be perfectly content with never playing them again...in any sport