UT - Arlington (11/22/11)

I just cancelled going to Austin.....sorry but I flew to Miami this year for the Fiu football game. I learned my lesson. Maybe in a couple of years

We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors.

If Johnny knew what to say he would call a time out - Not prepared by coach - players deer in headlights.

Missi. State will score 120 points on us.

I am not going to Austin either

• Upvote 1

WTF happened with this game?? I couldn't watch it, but there is NO excuse for such a poor as$ performance! Getting completely manhandled by UTA...really??? Didn't this team have major talent as a top 30 recruiting class??? Wow, I hope this team realizes they need to do something different and fast, starting with coach JJ. This is absolutely embarrassing.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Johnny pulled the starters early and all hell broke lose. Not to say that it wouldn't have otherwise, but this team was completely out of it mentally early on.

The starters were turning the ball over just about every possession. JJ tried the 2nd line as a change up - and then they turned the ball over ad naseum as well.

We just plain sucked tonight. It happens sometimes, especially to young teams. Let's just move onward.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The starters were turning the ball over just about every possession. JJ tried the 2nd line as a change up - and then they turned the ball over ad naseum as well.

We just plain sucked tonight. It happens sometimes, especially to young teams. Let's just move onward.

This.

Basketball is a funny game sometimes.

I'll be at the game in Austin. Hopefully these next two games look nothing like this one. Geez.

WTF happened with this game?? I couldn't watch it, but there is NO excuse for such a poor as$ performance! Getting completely manhandled by UTA...really??? Didn't this team have major talent as a top 30 recruiting class??? Wow, I hope this team realizes they need to do something different and fast, starting with coach JJ. This is absolutely embarrassing.

Could the reason it was a top 30 class because we had quantity?

• Upvote 1

Something positive... T this point I think we just have to many talented players and not enough minutes to go around... And Why was everyone so excited about Franklin? I have seen nothing.

Now NIko and Holmon have both really impressed me! I would love to see more of them along side the three freshmen as starters? We do not have a set center... So zo and ked need to step it up

Where the he'll was the the defense...

• Upvote 1

Well, JJ never came out in the post game show. Some paint is probably coming off the walls.

Brady walked over to Pitino tonight with about 15 seconds left , shook his hand and walked off the court.. Leaving his team out there , not a good night for SUNBELT coaches

• Upvote 1

Something positive... T this point I think we just have to many talented players and not enough minutes to go around... And Why was everyone so excited about Franklin? I have seen nothing.

Now NIko and Holmon have both really impressed me! I would love to see more of them along side the three freshmen as starters? We do not have a set center... So zo and ked need to step it up

Where the he'll was the the defense...

We were excited about Franklin because he was a potential leader. Zo, Ked, Holmen better be doing some serious schooling behind closed doors.

What makes you think Holmen was impressive?

I agree with your thoughts on Niko.

We were excited about Franklin because he was a potential leader. Zo, Ked, Holmen better be doing some serious schooling behind closed doors.

What makes you think Holmen was impressive?

I agree with your thoughts on Niko.

he hustles when it matters. He does not always have sure hands and takes bad shots from time to time, but I know he can shoot with the best. He does hustle to the boards which is what this team needs! I am just ready for unt to return home and learn. Lot over this road stretch. I do not see a lot of wins until we return home

• Upvote 1

UTA is always a trap game for North Texas. This team gets up for us more than any other game. (Akin to us playing SMU) The guys came out rattled and never adjusted to playing on stage. What we saw was an overhyped recruiting class playing someone on their level or better. Outstanding game by the Mavericks tonight!

I am, however, not too concerned at this point. We didn't address the center position during the recruiting period and the team is void of an offensive go to guy. We aren't great shooters and don't have anyone to create their own shot. Defense is bad and coaching is worse.

The strength of the team is in our point guard play. JJ finally figured out that they need to play together. Chris Jones & Trey Norris will be fine. The lack of weapons from other guys causes them to try to do too much; leading to TO's. Overall, we are just a large collection of reserves; playing too soon at the D1 level. This was the bad game, during the course of a season that you throw out. We will probably have a great game which we should also throw out. The presence of a Tony Mitchell will make a huge difference. But for now, let’s just hope for improvement from the guys each game.

No one seems comfortable with their role and/or playing together.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

he hustles when it matters. He does not always have sure hands and takes bad shots from time to time, but I know he can shoot with the best. He does hustle to the boards which is what this team needs! I am just ready for unt to return home and learn. Lot over this road stretch. I do not see a lot of wins until we return home

I don't know about the hustle yet, but I haven't been focusing on Holmen in particular. He hasn't looked like he is leading much to me, but I did like his words to the rest of the team during a timeout at UTA.

You are right about the wins and the road trip.

UTA is always a trap game for North Texas. This team gets up for us more than any other game. (Akin to us playing SMU) The guys came out rattled and never adjusted to playing on stage. What we saw was an overhyped recruiting class playing someone on their level or better. Outstanding game by the Mavericks tonight!

I am, however, not too concerned at this point. We didn't address the center position during the recruiting period and the team is void of an offensive go to guy. We aren't great shooters and don't have anyone to create their own shot. Defense is bad and coaching is worse.

The strength of the team is in our point guard play. JJ finally figured out that they need to play together. Chris Jones & Trey Norris will be fine. The lack of weapons from other guys causes them to try to do too much; leading to TO's. Overall, we are just a large collection of reserves; playing too soon at the D1 level. This was the bad game, during the course of a season that you throw out. We will probably have a great game which we should also throw out. The presence of a Tony Mitchell will make a huge difference. But for now, let’s just hope for improvement from the guys each game.

No one seems comfortable with their role and/or playing together.

SHSU is the same.

UTA fan here. Not gonna talk noise because I respect UNT and their fans and appreciate ya'll let me talk hoops with ya'll every year. But I must admit, this felt good.

UTA is not real tall, but a very athletic team. UNT looked tentative from the opening tip. UTA applied serious full-court pressure--double-teaming the ballhandler and after about 6 or 7 possessions (and UTA making everything we put up, or at least getting the rebounds for what we and UNT missed), the Mean Green could tell they were in for a long night. Coach Cross has been saying for several years we needed to get better defensively, pull down rebounds, get tougher and more athletic. Coach Cross has players that can do that. A lot of UNT turnovers turned into easy points.

The one thing, though, that I've wondered the last few years though...with the size ya'll seem to usually have...why don't ya'll play more pick-and-roll or try to establish more offense in the paint? Seems like UNT shoots a lot of 3-pointers and long jump shots, which tend to be easily rebounded. UTA can shoot the 3, but I think just penetrating and getting to the free throw line really helped tonight...Butler, Catlett, Reed, Redmon, Miller, etc. UNT got into foul trouble fairly early, and we didn't really have to shoot the 3 unless it was open. And for UTA, it was nice to see our two big centers Reves and Lagerson blocking shots and getting into the offense.

We've got Baylor tomorrow night, so what happened to ya'll tonight could very easily happen to us tomorrow. So I'm not gonna talk noise, but good luck the rest of the way. You've got a young team that can shoot the 3 very well...good stuff in the future for ya'll.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Plain and simple this team was not in it tonight. It was my first experience at Texas Hall and I can see why that place is really really bizarre. That could have had something to do with it but this was just one of those nights where the team, staff etc did not have it. Sometimes that happens. The positive thing is that this team is young and all of the young jewels on this team are freshmen so you can only think and hope that as the season progresses they'll be improving.

And yes they were completely rattled...so many turnovers...so many careless times when there was a straight up talking candy from a little baby steal....it was just a disaster.

Some say throw the tape and some say watch it over and over again...definitely schools of thought but I say you can have a balance of both. I think it would be vital for the team to look at this as this was the first time a lot of these guys have experienced something like this together so they need to build character through some adversity. This team certainly isn't bad as what they showed tonight but they probably aren't as good as we saw them against Texas Tech...at this point in time at least. No need for some kneejerk reactions....these things happen from time to time.