UT - Arlington (11/22/11)

I don't care if it's a week away...this is now the most winnable game on our tough road swing to start the season.

UTA is 1-0 with a 99-64 win over East Texas Baptist...they play La. Tech at home on Saturday so I'll be curious to see how playing a patsy to start the season prepared them to play Tech...

UTA returns 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season...so this is a veteran team and will be a stern test for our kids.

What I'd like to see:

More Alzee...I just don't think we can get away with Jordan Williams at the 2. I think a 3 man rotation of Alzee, Jones and Norris at the 1 and the 2 gives you a versatile backcourt...JWill and Franklin sharing time at the 3...and Holmen, Hogans, Edwards and Niko rotating at the 4,5.

• Downvote 1

I don't care if it's a week away...this is now the most winnable game on our tough road swing to start the season.

UTA is 1-0 with a 99-64 win over East Texas Baptist...they play La. Tech at home on Saturday so I'll be curious to see how playing a patsy to start the season prepared them to play Tech...

UTA returns 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season...so this is a veteran team and will be a stern test for our kids.

What I'd like to see:

More Alzee...I just don't think we can get away with Jordan Williams at the 2. I think a 3 man rotation of Alzee, Jones and Norris at the 1 and the 2 gives you a versatile backcourt...JWill and Franklin sharing time at the 3...and Holmen, Hogans, Edwards and Niko rotating at the 4,5.

You button pusher, you.

I wonder if Alzee is still trying to get his legs all the way back and that is why his minutes have been somewhat limited...

Sa-Weet!!! MY school district is off all next week. I'll definitely be there. It'll be my first road game to go to for the Basketball team (not counting tournament).

Do I buy tickets when I get there? Ahead of time? How does that work?

I've tried to buy tickets to UTA home games (against NT) in advance and I have been told they don't do that kind of thing. :blink: Be prepared for a long line at the ticket window so try to get there as early as you can.

Sa-Weet!!! MY school district is off all next week. I'll definitely be there. It'll be my first road game to go to for the Basketball team (not counting tournament).

Do I buy tickets when I get there? Ahead of time? How does that work?

You'll buy your ticket on the east side of Texas Hall, on the theater side that faces Cooper. The pedestrian bridge is maybe 150 feet east from these doors so when you see the pedestrian bridge that crosses Cooper you'll know where Texas Hall is. The other night it was first come first serve and they let you sit where ever, and we sat right behind the team bench, which is maybe 5 feet away. That didn't used to be the case. Back in the 80's when our athletic department actually promoted our away games on and around campus the week of the games we took so many down there that we held home court advantage. So eventually UTA forced us all to sit on the theater side behind the orchestra pit, rather than the back stage side behind the team's bench. But I suspect like as was for the women the other night you'll be able to buy and sit wherever for the men.

You can park west of Texas Hall on Greek Row Dr and have a short 1 block walk to Texas Hall. If you get there ahead of time I suggest you walk across the pedestrian bridge and go across campus east to Pecan St and see the new complex.

Hope this helps,

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You'll buy your ticket on the east side of Texas Hall, on the theater side that faces Cooper. The pedestrian bridge is maybe 150 feet east from these doors so when you see the pedestrian bridge that crosses Cooper you'll know where Texas Hall is. The other night it was first come first serve and they let you sit where ever, and we sat right behind the team bench, which is maybe 5 feet away. That didn't used to be the case. Back in the 80's when our athletic department actually promoted our away games on and around campus the week of the games we took so many down there that we held home court advantage. So eventually UTA forced us all to sit on the theater side behind the orchestra pit, rather than the back stage side behind the team's bench. But I suspect like as was for the women the other night you'll be able to buy and sit wherever for the men.

You can park west of Texas Hall on Greek Row Dr and have a short 1 block walk to Texas Hall. If you get there ahead of time I suggest you walk across the pedestrian bridge and go across campus east to Pecan St and see the new complex.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Sweet! Looking forward to meeting some of you guys!

I've never been to a game at Texas Hall. I'll definitely be there and experience it. And no better way to watch my team playing. Hope we can get this game.

It is a very dangerous place to play BB. on the side of the court facing the auditorium seats is an orchestra just a few steps from the BB court pitt that players could fall into, and at the both ends of the BB court within a couple of steps you hit a solid wall.

Fans could lean over a railing and hold something over the heads of the visiting players sitting just in front of the of the visitor team...take a tire tool and use it to beat a metal garbage lid over just overhead of the visitor teams bench. Try a dead chicken.

Security guards did nothing. Oldtimer

I RECOMMEND NT FANS ARRIVE EARLY FOR THE GAME (AT LEAST 30 MINUTES...TO FILL THE SEATS BEHIND THE NT BENCH.

It is a very dangerous place to play BB. on the side of the court facing the auditorium seats is an orchestra just a few steps from the BB court pitt that players could fall into, and at the both ends of the BB court within a couple of steps you hit a solid wall.

Fans could lean over a railing and hold something over the heads of the visiting players sitting just in front of the of the visitor team...take a tire tool and use it to beat a metal garbage lid over just overhead of the visitor teams bench. Try a dead chicken.

I RECOMMEND NT FANS ARRIVE EARLY FOR THE GAME (AT LEAST 30 MINUTES...TO FILL THE SEATS BEHIND THE NT BENCH.

Ah yes, time for some ancient UTA Urban Legends. :rolleyes:

I see this story every time we play UTA. It hasn't happened in years and I would hope it never happens anywhere including UTA. If it does it should be grounds for immediate expulsion from the arena.

Besides, NCAA rules prohibit artificial noise makers. We had a ref stop play at the Super Pit one game because someone was banging a ring they were wearing on their hand on the guardrail.

• Downvote 1

Ah yes, time for some ancient UTA Urban Legends. :rolleyes:

I see this story every time we play UTA. It hasn't happened in years and I would hope it never happens anywhere including UTA. If it does it should be grounds for immediate expulsion from the arena.

You will continue to see this come everytime we play UTA it left such events occuring with the permission of police, etc. An image that remains in me forever. I left out the insults hurled at the NT bus black drivers.

Besides, NCAA rules prohibit artificial noise makers. We had a ref stop play at the Super Pit one game because someone was banging a ring they were wearing on their hand on the guardrail.

The orchestra pit is still there, the concrete walls are still within a couple of steps from the sidlines.

The orchestra pit is still there, the concrete walls are still within a couple of steps from the sidlines.

And the floor is made of wood. :o

The orchestra pit, while below floor level, is still no more dangerous than the floor seats or scorers table along the sidelines of the Super Pit.

I think the walls are a little more than a "couple steps" from the end lines otherwise there's be no room to inbound the ball from under the basket.

FUN FACT about artificial noisemakers!!

They are apparently no longer a rule violation, so long as they aren't used during play. You can use them during everything but live game action (including free throws, so no air horns during attempts).

Noticed the rule seems to have changed when I looked up exhibition rules for D-1, D-2, and NAIA schools.

If the Pit Crew wants "more cowbell" during any and all timeouts, that seems to be legal now. I'll look it up again and post the specific rule later tonight.

FUN FACT about artificial noisemakers!!

They are apparently no longer a rule violation, so long as they aren't used during play. You can use them during everything but live game action (including free throws, so no air horns during attempts).

Noticed the rule seems to have changed when I looked up exhibition rules for D-1, D-2, and NAIA schools.

If the Pit Crew wants "more cowbell" during any and all timeouts, that seems to be legal now. I'll look it up again and post the specific rule later tonight.

And, as promised, from the 2012 update to the Men's and Women's Basketball rulebook (either page 98 or 102, bold emphasis added by me):

Art. 8. Team followers, as in Rule 4-27, shall not commit an unsportsmanlike act, including, but not limited to, the following:

a. Using musical instruments, amplified music or artificial noisemakers while the game is in progress, except timeouts and intermissions.

b. Using laser pointers.

c. Throwing debris on the court after officials’ jurisdiction has begun.

d. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play, such as but not limited to, followers entering the playing court before the player activity has been terminated. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.

e. Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar or obscene.

Note 1: Before penalizing a follower(s) of a team for violating Rule 10-2.8, the officials shall have knowledge as to which team’s follower(s) committed the act.

Note 2: When the misconduct of the follower(s) is extreme or excessive, such behavior may be penalized by the official requesting home/contest management to eject from the premises the team follower(s) involved in the misbehavior. In such a case, a technical foul shall not be assessed.

So, what counts as a "follower" per rule 4-27?

Section 27. Followers

Followers are fans, bands, cheerleaders and mascots associated with a particular team.

Basically... During timeouts, you can go as wild as you want (as long as you don't curse) with any artificial noisemakers that the good folks who run the Super Pit will allow you to bring in.

Yup, I have seen two players end up in the orchestra pit over the years.

I won't miss the stage at all after it's basketball days are done. We rarely shoot well there and I have always wondered if it wasn't because of the curtains swinging behind the buckets when the AC/heat is turned on?

Seems every game for us there is a grind?

Rick

if you get a chance, try to walk around Texas Hall and take in all the views. It's neat. I'll miss it, but can't wait to see the new arena either.

I saw UNT play on TV the other night...Mavs are gonna have their hands full.

UTA is a veteran team this year, have several guys that can get hot from outside. Not much post scoring, but some guys that can gather up errant shots and put them back for 2 points. And kinda like ya'lls superstar freshman guard that was penetrating all night on Tech, we've got Cameron Catlett who has a similar game, so watching those two probably guard each other will be fun. Our best scorer is Bo Ingram, a senior who can score from outside or inside. Fun to watch. Our post play might be a weak spot, since most of our scoring is outside of 8 feet. UNT shoots and makes a lot of 3s, but we try to go a little more inside, but will take the open 3 if needed or someone gets hot. Lagerson, our 7' center, will block some shots and is still developing his offensive game.

No doubt the arena has helped our recruiting. We're bigger and more talented than ever. Enough to beat a well-coached UNT team that's been recruiting exceptionally well now for several years? Good question.

I see UNT as super-skilled and young, UTA is a veteran team that is still learning how to win close games (we lost a bunch of 2-4 point games last year)...so I see another close game at the Hall.

Prediction: UTA 87, UNT 85 in a nail-biter classic (as they often are).

Here's a page with some pics of the arena in progress:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/UTACollegePark

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Our top scorers last year in this game obviously aren't on the team this year. Looking at who is on the team this year that played last year doesn't tell us much (anything) either.

Catlett had an average game against us last year and we held Bo Ingram to only 6 pts in 24 minutes of play. UTA closed late to make the game closer than it appeared throughout. Even late in the game, I remember feeling comfortable about the game simply because we had the veteran advantage at home shortly after winning close games against Tech, Rice, and a come from behind win at Tx St. This year that advantage goes to UTA, I would think.

The leading scorer for UTA was LaMarcus Reed III, a 6-5 JR swingman. This year he's a SR and should see significant PT against us again.

Hogans and Odufuwa literally owned the boards and were able to block 4 shots between the 2 of them. Odufuwa had a double-double and Tristan Thompson was only 1 rebound short of one himself.

I really feel like Chris Jones' offensive game is similar to Tristan's in that they get to the iron, but Jones is better at finishing where Tristan was real good at drawing contact. Not saying Jones is bad at drawing contact, he's actually pretty good. For some reason, I feel like he's not getting calls that Tristan got last year. Tristan had 29 pts last year in this game, 11 of 12 from the line and 12 from 3pt range. If Jones can get around the post players I think he can get to the foul line often enough to get them into some foul trouble.

I'm really looking forward to this game and I hope that as UTA moves into the WAC and with their new stadium that this annual game continues.

Keep me honest UTAMav91. Thanks for dropping by.

Edited by MeanMag