QB situation

MrStrange62

I was ok with it; my take is that it was situational, and I was glad to see the first TD no matter who scored it. Once that McNulty (in a series after he scored the TD) threw into triple coverage for an incomplete pass, I could understand why Thompson is our starter. McNulty will be fine, so will Osborn, but both, like a lot of young QB's, will have to learn about recognizing coverages, protecting the ball, and being a field manager.

It's for different situations. McNolte (potential photoshop opportunities available) is in there to run, Thompson doesn't have much speed.

No, but I thought Thompson was smart deciding when to tuck and run. With the exception of the interception, I thought he showed poise in the midst of dealing with a secondary that outmatched his receivers.

Last year I got sick of Riley running when his first option was covered instead of checking down.

I have no problem with Thompson as the starter, but I do wish McNulty would get a series or two occasionally. One play at a time is great, but I'd like to see him able to get into even a tiny rhythm and have maybe one drive a half (plus situational use)..... assuming he can throw even a little bit (which i think he can). Coming in for one play and then right back out would seem to mess with both OB's tempo (and that of the entire offense), but who knows.

Either way, I would like to see us go vertical even once in a blue moon.... we hardly even TRIED to look deep, even just to give UH a different look. If we want to free up Lance and the short passing game, even a mild threat of a deep ball would sure be nice. Even if we just send Chancellor on a straight fly and overthrow him by 5 yards, the effect is there.

I think Thompson's play was decent. He still seems to hold the ball a little too long. Overall, a decent game. He will get better with experience.

UH started teeing off when McNulte came in. He was an absolute 0 pass threat. I'm sure that will change with time as well....

This offense is definitely tailored for a dual threat QB.

Why is our new WR coach not giving our two running QBS Baine and Teegarden any reps since being move to WR over the summer? Baine started 2 games at QB last year and it looked like Teegarden had a good spring. I watched 3 drops last week against FIU and Thompson upset at wrong routes . Ex QBs know the "O" better than anyone so I would think the wrong route runing would not be a problem. I know Im just a (Arm Chair Coach) but having a starting QB (Baine) as a threat to throw the ball on some type of trick play would be a plus for Coach Chico.

Edited by saysojoe
  • Upvote 1

Why is our new WR coach not giving our two running QBS Baine and Teegarden any reps since being move to WR over the summer? Baine started 2 games at QB last year and it looked like Teegarden had a good spring. I watched 3 drops last week against FIU and Thompson upset at wrong routes . Ex QBs know the "O" better than anyone so I would think the wrong route runing would not be a problem. I know Im just a (Arm Chair Coach) but having a starting QB (Baine) as a threat to throw the ball on some type of trick play would be a plus for Coach Chico.

amen brother.

I really wanted to see Osborn. Thompson takes forever to make a decision, and he takes forever to get rid of the ball. Thompson also never looks off the coverage. His eyes are on his first passing option the entire time. He's not accurate either, we couldve had some big plays yesterday if the throws were in the right spot. I thought Mcnulty (makes me think of the Wire) looked great out there all things considered. Our offense (especially Lance) has been a disapointment. I did think the play calling was a lot better in this game though.

I really wanted to see Osborn. Thompson takes forever to make a decision, and he takes forever to get rid of the ball. Thompson also never looks off the coverage. His eyes are on his first passing option the entire time. He's not accurate either, we couldve had some big plays yesterday if the throws were in the right spot. I thought Mcnulty (makes me think of the Wire) looked great out there all things considered. Our offense (especially Lance) has been a disapointment. I did think the play calling was a lot better in this game though.

You've been disappointed in Lance's play? What the what?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you have 2 QBs, you have none. I don't have a problem with what we are doing as a change up with McNulty, but I will be concerned if we start trading out on drives or it seems like we don't have a clear #1.

Totally agree. do NOT want to alternate drives. Maybe one pre-determined drive per half, a wildcat situation, whatever... but more than that, just change the depth chart.