Visiting Fans

It was a good run of +'s for me but I fully realize the -1's I am about to invite.

Fuzzy's is a chain... and not even a good one.

The DFW area alone consists of 26 of them including the one in Sherman. The greater Houston area where our guests will be traveling from already has 3. In fact, the chain is as far north as Madison, WI and as far west as Tempe, AZ.

If we want to recommend Fuzzy's, we may as well also include Taco Cabana, Olive Garden, and Dairy Queen as a Denton Must-See attraction.

If we must recommend a chain with Dallas area headquarters, I would prefer we send them to Baja in Grapevine or Blue Goose in Highland Village for some quality mexican food. Our Fuzzy's is most likely supporting Fort Worth as much as it is Denton.

We are currently suffering through a local mexican food drought in Denton which Austin based Chuy's is not helping. I truly wish that either guapo's or mazatlan could resolve this issue but constantly finding small bones in every meal and not providing a good margarita has ruined their chances.

I'll stick with pushing Metzler's, Rooster's, and J&J's until a true mexican food contender can step up and be worthy of my recommendation. I just wish Casa Galaviz had more to offer than great breakfast burritos.

Love Shack is delicious and I'm proud the so-called "tool" owner is from here, but we are the 3rd and I have a terrible feeling that place will be all over the state in no time.

You're the kind of guy who cleans out his iPod the second his favorite band goes big, aren't you?

• Upvote 6

It was a good run of +'s for me but I fully realize the -1's I am about to invite.

The DFW area alone consists of 26 of them including the one in Sherman. The greater Houston area where our guests will be traveling from already has 3. In fact, the chain is as far north as Madison, WI and as far west as Tempe, AZ.

If we want to recommend Fuzzy's, we may as well also include Taco Cabana, Olive Garden, and Dairy Queen as a Denton Must-See attraction.

If we must recommend a chain with Dallas area headquarters, I would prefer we send them to Baja in Grapevine or Blue Goose in Highland Village for some quality mexican food. Our Fuzzy's is most likely supporting Fort Worth as much as it is Denton.

We are currently suffering through a local mexican food drought in Denton which Austin based Chuy's is not helping. I truly wish that either guapo's or mazatlan could resolve this issue but constantly finding small bones in every meal and not providing a good margarita has ruined their chances.

I'll stick with pushing Metzler's, Rooster's, and J&J's until a true mexican food contender can step up and be worthy of my recommendation. I just wish Casa Galaviz had more to offer than great breakfast burritos.

Love Shack is delicious and I'm proud the so-called "tool" owner is from here, but we are the 3rd and I have a terrible feeling that place will be all over the state in no time.

Gegree on everything but the Mexican food drought statement. You're dead on that Guapo's, Mazatlan, OTB, El Fenix, El Chico, Mazatlan and etc.. suck. For sure they do. El Matador, Mi Ranchito, and La Milpa(not a full bore endorsement quite yet) do not.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Four years ago Fuzzy's only had two stores and was considered a "hole in the wall" or "local place." The reason why it's exploded so much is because it's good and very cheap. The same thing can be said about Chuy's.

I grew up in Grapevine and have been to Baja a ton and I can say without a doubt that Chuy's blows it out of the water. I've never understood why people think once a place starts expanding that it's food somehow becomes crap. If you're mad about the local restaurants not being very good don't take it out on the good chains we have in town.

I agree with you on the Love Shack. Who cares if some people think Tim Love is a douche, the man makes great burgers and that's why I eat there. However, cant say I enjoy their fries. Waaaayyyy too skinny.

That would explain why they have been there for 20 years....For unbiased opinions look online, they get 4+ stars for every food review site there is.

My opinion on it being the worst Mexican food I've ever had doesn't have much to do with how long it's been there. Applebee's is a successful national chain, but that doesn't make it good.

That would explain why they have been there for 20 years....For unbiased opinions look online, they get 4+ stars for every food review site there is.

Weren't Mazatlan and Guadalajara owned by the same person(s)? I haven't been east of TWU on 380 since I moved from Denton, so when I saw that Guadalajara was gone (Ft. Worth Dr.), I assumed that Mazatlan was gone as well.

My once a year pilgrimage to Denton usually includes trips to my old stand-bys of New York Sub, Hooya (worked there for 4 years), Loophole (usual post-game stop off) and Greenhouse (it's nothing exceptional, but I've never had a bad meal there and can confirm greenminer's stance on the bar staff).

I am intrigued by Love Shack...where is it located? Fuzzy's is good...grew up with the Berry Street location in Fort Worth...may swing by for my first try at the Denton locale.

• Downvote 1

My once a year pilgrimage to Denton usually includes trips to my old stand-bys of New York Sub, Hooya (worked there for 4 years), Loophole (usual post-game stop off) and Greenhouse (it's nothing exceptional, but I've never had a bad meal there and can confirm greenminer's stance on the bar staff).

I am intrigued by Love Shack...where is it located? Fuzzy's is good...grew up with the Berry Street location in Fort Worth...may swing by for my first try at the Denton locale.

Fuzzy's is on Industrial, right next to Dan's Silver Leaf.

Love Shack is right around the corner on Hickory, between the square and Industrial.

Fuzzy's is on Industrial, right next to Dan's Silver Leaf.

Love Shack is right around the corner on Hickory, between the square and Industrial.

Thanks...knew where Fuzzy's was...I really like what's going on down on Industrial.

If I only had money 5 years ago when I called that area was going to pick up...

• Downvote 1

Weren't Mazatlan and Guadalajara owned by the same person(s)? I haven't been east of TWU on 380 since I moved from Denton, so when I saw that Guadalajara was gone (Ft. Worth Dr.), I assumed that Mazatlan was gone as well.

I thought Mazatlan and El Matador were same owners.

Mazatlan is pretty good for breakfast. But we're an El Matador family for any other time. While their menu items are good, I think the specials of the day are almost always better.

Anyone else remember the Art Prostitute, right off Industrial?

I never got to visit the place, but walked by it several times to/from Dan's.

I remember that place...they had some creative stuff, but again, no money when I lived on the Square so I never patronized the place.

• Downvote 1

Gegree on everything but the Mexican food drought statement. You're dead on that Guapo's, Mazatlan, OTB, El Fenix, El Chico, Mazatlan and etc.. suck. For sure they do. El Matador, Mi Ranchito, and La Milpa(not a full bore endorsement quite yet) do not.

1 cockroach incident a few years ago has prevented me from returning to matador.

milpa is so aggravating - great salsa/queso/chips, tasty deserts, competitively priced drinks... but then they have the nerve to serve bland entrees. they are also plagued by the same gnat infestation as hooligans. my wife and i go there for happy hours occasionally.

Denton has some of the best amateur (future professional) musicans in the known universe. Many of them play local clubs. Some of them you will see in future Grammy Awards Shows, but if Denton hotels are full...

...about 15 minutes south of the Denton City Limits are some fine hotels in the vicinity of the Texas Motor Speedway off Interstate 35-W. Probably would be less Game Day traffic coming from that interstate back into Denton than the other interstate that goes to Dallas. Just sayin...

Denton Doin's...

http://nightlife.upt.../961704249.html

http://nightlife.upt.../403552513.html

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Love Shack is just off the square on East Hickory. I recommend Rooster's Roadhouse which is next door to Fuzzy's.