Tulsa Game

Everyone expects the new stadium and the addition of coach Mac to increase our home attendance this season. My question is will it lead to an increase in away game attendance. Our closest non-conference game will be at Tulsa. That's not too far of a drive for most of our fans. Will we see a bump in Mean Green fans attending this game? I know I'm planning on being there, but is this something the athletic department and we as a fan base are going to make a priority? In addition to increasing our home attendance, making this one of their highest attended games of the season should be a goal of ours.

Edited by Side Show Joe

If they make the Tulsa game an EVENT with some pre and post activities I think they can really get a good draw - easy drive from the Metroplex. Kind of sounds like it could be like Rice a few years ago with fun festivities - tragic outcome but definitely a memorable well planned event with meeting place - pep rally...

GMG

If they make the Tulsa game an EVENT with some pre and post activities I think they can really get a good draw - easy drive from the Metroplex. Kind of sounds like it could be like Rice a few years ago with fun festivities - tragic outcome but definitely a memorable well planned event with meeting place - pep rally...

GMG

I agree. It could be a great event. Do we have an alumni chapter in Tulsa, or any alum that can provide information about places to go?

Should be plenty of seats available - Tulsa starts with three of first four on the road, including trips to OU and Boise State. They host Oklahoma State on the Sept. 17.

Realistically, they'll be 1-3 when we arrive. It will be a pivotal game for both, especially if we roll in at 1-3 or 0-4 as well.

When Bill Blankenship was promoted, he hired Brent Guy as defensive coordinator. Guy is the former Utah State head coach who hired Darrell Dickey as his offensive coordinator.

It's safe to say Guy is going to be a step down from coordinating the defense. And, that's not good for Tulsa because defense was never its bread and butter. Even with Todd Graham, a former DC, and Keith Patterson, the Golden Hurricane defenses were never stout. They did have their moments; but, generally, TU outscored teams.

They will not outscore OU on the road, OSU at home, or Boise State on the road. They will be returning from a road beating at Boise State when we roll into town. After a 10-3 record in 2010, they could be demoralized about their season beginning 1-3. Heck, if Tulane "upsets" them, we'll be facing a very surprised 0-4 Tulsa team on October 1.

I'm not sold on TU's elevation of Bill Blankenship as a coach. He was a high school wonder-coach at powerhouse Tulsa Union for years. But, it's like Dodge and his Southlake story: If you've seen Union's facilities and compare them to other in the Tulsa area, there really is no excuse not to succeed there. The only school rivaling it from Tulsa to OKC is Tulsa suburbs' Jenks.

It's true that Blankenship put in four years as an assistant to Todd Graham. And, Todd Graham left him with a veteran team. I'm just not incredibly impressed with his assistant hires, and not sold that he - or, they - can do the job at this level.

When Tulsa and North Texas square off on October 1, both will likely be 1-3 or 0-4. This game will be a season changer for one or the other. I think it has the look of the "turn around/springboard" game for McCarney and his group of coaches at North Texas. They are shockingly longer in the tooth than TU's new staff. If the players respond well, we'll have the "upset" of Tulsa on October 1, and will sail into the meat of our Sun Belt schedule with the wind at our backs.

So...let's go up there and watch my undergraduate alma mater pummel my grad school alma mater! Now, they will pay the price for hiring a coach whose main experience as at a rich, suburban are high school. My how times and fortunes change.

We're 6-16 all-time against Tulsa and haven't beaten them since 1969 - a seven game losing streak. We haven't beaten them in Tulsa since 1968.

2005: Kragthorpe versus Dickey, 54-2 Tulsa

2006: Kragthorpe versus Dickey II, 28-3 Tulsa

2008: Graham versus Dodge, 56-26, Tulsa

2011: Blankenship versus McCarney...I like our chance here. We've finally got a coaching staff with more experience than TU!

(Also, as a side note: We were conference mates with Tulsa and played them for 14 consecutive seasons, 1957-1970. This is a regional rivalry that never should have died. Tulsa is a school we should be playing every year since they come into Texas and recruit heavily.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have tried to make their annual Big 12 game another OU-Texas rivalry. We should do the same with Tulsa. Among current FBS schools, we've only played New Mexico State (34) and ULM (27) more than we've played Tulsa (22). As close as they are geographically, this is a game we should be playing more annually, if not semi-annually.)

• Upvote 3

Should be plenty of seats available - Tulsa starts with three of first four on the road, including trips to OU and Boise State. They host Oklahoma State on the Sept. 17.

Realistically, they'll be 1-3 when we arrive. It will be a pivotal game for both, especially if we roll in at 1-3 or 0-4 as well.

When Bill Blankenship was promoted, he hired Brent Guy as defensive coordinator. Guy is the former Utah State head coach who hired Darrell Dickey as his offensive coordinator.

It's safe to say Guy is going to be a step down from coordinating the defense. And, that's not good for Tulsa because defense was never its bread and butter. Even with Todd Graham, a former DC, and Keith Patterson, the Golden Hurricane defenses were never stout. They did have their moments; but, generally, TU outscored teams.

They will not outscore OU on the road, OSU at home, or Boise State on the road. They will be returning from a road beating at Boise State when we roll into town. After a 10-3 record in 2010, they could be demoralized about their season beginning 1-3. Heck, if Tulane "upsets" them, we'll be facing a very surprised 0-4 Tulsa team on October 1.

I'm not sold on TU's elevation of Bill Blankenship as a coach. He was a high school wonder-coach at powerhouse Tulsa Union for years. But, it's like Dodge and his Southlake story: If you've seen Union's facilities and compare them to other in the Tulsa area, there really is no excuse not to succeed there. The only school rivaling it from Tulsa to OKC is Tulsa suburbs' Jenks.

It's true that Blankenship put in four years as an assistant to Todd Graham. And, Todd Graham left him with a veteran team. I'm just not incredibly impressed with his assistant hires, and not sold that he - or, they - can do the job at this level.

When Tulsa and North Texas square off on October 1, both will likely be 1-3 or 0-4. This game will be a season changer for one or the other. I think it has the look of the "turn around/springboard" game for McCarney and his group of coaches at North Texas. They are shockingly longer in the tooth than TU's new staff. If the players respond well, we'll have the "upset" of Tulsa on October 1, and will sail into the meat of our Sun Belt schedule with the wind at our backs.

So...let's go up there and watch my undergraduate alma mater pummel my grad school alma mater! Now, they will pay the price for hiring a coach whose main experience as at a rich, suburban are high school. My how times and fortunes change.

We're 6-16 all-time against Tulsa and haven't beaten them since 1969 - a seven game losing streak. We haven't beaten them in Tulsa since 1968.

2005: Kragthorpe versus Dickey, 54-2 Tulsa

2006: Kragthorpe versus Dickey II, 28-3 Tulsa

2008: Graham versus Dodge, 56-26, Tulsa

2011: Blankenship versus McCarney...I like our chance here. We've finally got a coaching staff with more experience than TU!

(Also, as a side note: We were conference mates with Tulsa and played them for 14 consecutive seasons, 1957-1970. This is a regional rivalry that never should have died. Tulsa is a school we should be playing every year since they come into Texas and recruit heavily.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech have tried to make their annual Big 12 game another OU-Texas rivalry. We should do the same with Tulsa. Among current FBS schools, we've only played New Mexico State (34) and ULM (27) more than we've played Tulsa (22). As close as they are geographically, this is a game we should be playing more annually, if not semi-annually.)

I'm planning to make the trip up there. Been to several UNT road games before, but wasn't able to make Tulsa previously. Looking forward to it.

GMG

I still believe that the Rice game in Houston was the low point for our alma mater since being back at the FBS level. There is just no way of trying to explain how little ol' Rice could beat our football so badly. The scariest part about that game was that they SHOULD have scored 100 points that day. They basically took the 4th quarter off. If Texas, OU, LSU, Alabama, etc. beat us like that, then you can easily chalk that up to their resources, status, and talent, all while enjoying a nice check. That Rice game basically told every HS coach in Texas that Todd Dodge was not going to ever make it as a successful college coach. As I said in another thread, Thank God for Western Kentucky being in the SBC.

• Upvote 1

I still believe that the Rice game in Houston was the low point for our alma mater since being back at the FBS level. There is just no way of trying to explain how little ol' Rice could beat our football so badly. The scariest part about that game was that they SHOULD have scored 100 points that day. They basically took the 4th quarter off. If Texas, OU, LSU, Alabama, etc. beat us like that, then you can easily chalk that up to their resources, status, and talent, all while enjoying a nice check. That Rice game basically told every HS coach in Texas that Todd Dodge was not going to ever make it as a successful college coach. As I said in another thread, Thank God for Western Kentucky being in the SBC.

True. Rice's victory over us in 2008 was sandwiched between a 52-10 loss to Texas and a 63-28 loss to Tulsa. So, it wasn't like we were facing the 1987 Miami Hurricane defensive unit.

NM Green, Tulsa is to OK what NYC is to NY, so lots going on around Tulsa the weekend of the game like;

Fall Fun at the Farm at Pocola, Haunted Castle Halloween Festival in Muskogee, A Candlelight Walking Tour in Doaksville and don't forget Reding Farm Maize & Fear Festival in Chickosha, but the event I'm taking my dog to is the Punpkin Palooza in Hobart!

• Upvote 1

NM Green, Tulsa is to OK what NYC is to NY, so lots going on around Tulsa the weekend of the game like;

Fall Fun at the Farm at Pocola, Haunted Castle Halloween Festival in Muskogee, A Candlelight Walking Tour in Doaksville and don't forget Reding Farm Maize & Fear Festival in Chickosha, but the event I'm taking my dog to is the Punpkin Palooza in Hobart!

If the Cow Chip Throwing Contest or the State Prison Outlaw Rodeo aren't happening that weekend, then count me out!

Hopefully, these type of humiliations will cease now that we have real coaches on board. I haven't been back to Fouts since the Tulsa game...neither have my guest I brought...I decided never to go back to Fouts...had my full of that place. Now that we have a change in the admin, stadium and coaches....things will be brighter for sure. Went to the Rice game in Houston and it was pathetic...TD should have been fired after the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Hopefully, these type of humiliations will cease now that we have real coaches on board. I haven't been back to Fouts since the Tulsa game...neither have my guest I brought...I decided never to go back to Fouts...had my full of that place. Now that we have a change in the admin, stadium and coaches....things will be brighter for sure. Went to the Rice game in Houston and it was pathetic...TD should have been fired after the game.

No direct knowledge, but have thought that the drug screening NT did not long before that game had a lot to do with the debacle. I still think that drug test was a major blunder on part of the administration and Dodge.

Edited by GrandGreen

No direct knowledge, but have thought that the drug screening NT did not long before that game had a lot to do with the debacle. I still think that drug test was a major blunder on part of the administration and Dodge.

Logic:

Some college students smoke weed. College football players are college students. Therefore, some college football players smoke weed.

I personally think weed is a waste of time and money...but, I'm a 42-year old man with a wife, kids, mortgage, and career. There's a lot of time to kill in college between classes, practices, and sex. I'm just sayin'....

• Downvote 1