Possible Running Backs Coach

SUMG

Football Scoop is reporting that Coach Mc talked to Atif Austin about being our RB coach. He has coached in college, played for McCarney at Iowa State....and is currently (I believe) the head football coach at Tarpon Springs, Fla. High School:

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051607aab.html

• Upvote 2

No disrespect to this candidate but I would rather have Shelton Gandy. He has proven he can coach running backs to a high level.

On occasion, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. McCarney was hired to right the ship. It's only natural that he wants a crew that he is comfortable with and has confidence in. His call and I'm OK with any selection he makes.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 5

On occasion, the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. McCarney was hired to right the ship. It's only natural that he wants a crew that he is comfortable with and has confidence in. His call and I'm OK with any selection he makes.

some were ok with anything 4 years ago too. we will see the results in 9 months.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

He looks like a real energetic, up-and-comer to me! His leadership would probably be great for our stable of running backs. Another superior Mac hire as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto. Please, lets stay away from ANY and ALL High School coaches.

So what's the real issue? This guy has coached at both the high school and college levels. Would he have been better off and had better credentials if he'd just sat at home and watched TV during the years he was coaching high school?

I think we can take some issue with coaches that ONLY have high school coaching experience. This guy doesn't fit that mold.

Ditto. Please, lets stay away from ANY and ALL High School coaches.

He is not a HS running backs coach, he is a HS Head Coach. There is a big difference. He has been at the college level before in the exact position we are hiring him for. I do not see the problem. Making the jump from HS to college is not as big of a jump if you move down to a position coach.

He is not a HS running backs coach, he is a HS Head Coach. There is a big difference. He has been at the college level before in the exact position we are hiring him for. I do not see the problem. Making the jump from HS to college is not as big of a jump if you move down to a position coach.

When Art Briles, who had never coached at the college level before, left Stephenville HS he took a position coach job, I believe RB's, at Texas Tech for one season before going to U of H as Head Coach. Austin is more qualified.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

So what's the real issue? This guy has coached at both the high school and college levels. Would he have been better off and had better credentials if he'd just sat at home and watched TV during the years he was coaching high school?

I think we can take some issue with coaches that ONLY have high school coaching experience. This guy doesn't fit that mold.

Some folks just luv to beleive they are arm chair experts. We hired McCarney to make these decisions.

• Upvote 1

See info below regarding Austin... He would be an excellent guy to get. As you can see, he ONLY coached High School for 1 year. All of his other coaching experience is at the college level.

Austin took the UNI running game to a higher level in 2008 as Corey Lewis set the Panthers' all-time rushing mark with 4,003 yards. Austin will be entering his fifth season as the Panthers' running back coach in 2009 and will also take on the duties of Special Teams Coordinator.

Not only was Lewis rewriting the UNI record book, Derrick Law was also contributing as he nearly eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark as Lewis' backup. The Panthers' 32 rushing touchdowns in 2008 tied for the second-most in school history.

The Panthers' running attack reached new levels in 2007 as the squad rushed for a school record 2,956 yards and 39 touchdowns. Leading the way was Lewis as he rushed for a school record 1,513 yards, including 220 in UNI's 38-35 win over New Hampshire in the NCAA FCS playoffs. Lewis averaged 116.38 yards per game to rank No. 2 in the conference and No. 19 in the nation. Austin was instrumental in helping running back Darian Williams attain Missouri Valley Football Conference Newcomer of the Year honors in 2006. Williams ranked eighth in the league in rushing yards per game (59.4) and ranked second on the team with 653 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns. The Panthers' other feature back in '06 was Lewis, who rushed for a team-high 894 yards and 10 rushing touchdowns. Lewis ranked No. 27 in the nation and No. 5 in the MVFC in rushing yards/game (99.3).

In 2005, Austin helped running back David Horne set the UNI single-season rushing touchdown record with 17. Horne rushed for 1,141 yards to lead the Panthers into the program's first-ever appearance in the NCAA FCS national title game. Along with Horne's accomplishments, the Panthers were able to mix in fellow senior Terrance Freeney into the UNI running game. Freeney rushed 172 times for 656 yards and nine touchdowns in 2005. Prior to the 2007 season Austin was selected to attend the 2007 NCAA Football Coaching Academy in Indianapolis, Ind. The academy, targeted for minority coaches, is a preparatory class for becoming a head coach with participants selected by a committee from the NCAA.

Austin served as a graduate assistant at Southwest Minnesota State University (2003-2004), the first working with the secondary and the last aiding with the inside linebackers. Additional duties included helping with athlete strength and conditioning during the season, video coordination, breaking down of game film, and recruiting.

A native of Tarpon Springs, Fla., Austin was a four-year starter as a defensive back at Iowa State University from 1998-2002. He received honorable mention All-Big 12 honors by The Associated Press in 2001 and was presented the 2002 Reuben J. Miller Award, given to the player whose conduct on and off the field has brought honor to ISU. He redshirted in 1998, then compiled 173 career tackles, including 146 solos and 27 assisted stops. He also was credited with 33 pass deflections and two interceptions.

As a senior, he was voted the team's defensive MVP against Florida State when he tallied five tackles, including four solos. He started 10 games in 2001, finishing the year ninth on the squad with 55 total stops and leading the team with 10 breakups. He started the last nine games in 1999 and was moved from running back to cornerback when he earned a spot in the two-deep heading into fall practice.

• Upvote 3

Some folks just luv to beleive they are arm chair experts. We hired McCarney to make these decisions.

This is very true...I just didn't see how the product that Shelton delivered on the field could be overlooked. If he was replaced by...say a BCS's RB Coach then I could possibly better understand it. What Shelton did at both LA Tech and here will land him a job that overshadows our own position. Just think if Hambone had been healthy and utilized to the extent that he could have been?? Then Shelton would have two RBs with over 1k yds this year and you could bank on that. I trust McCarney but just didn't see how Shelton's worth was not more examined.

I trust McCarney but just didn't see how Shelton's worth was not more examined.

How was his worth examined? When you say "more examined" what is your thought of his worth and how could it have been examined more/less to keep him on staff? What talks did McCarney have with Shelton? How much film did McCarney watch of Shelton's progress? Did Shelton express interest about staying on staff with NT? Did Shelton interview with other programs? How do you know what McCarney's thoughts were on keeping or not keeping Shelton?

How was his worth examined? When you say "more examined" what is your thought of his worth and how could it have been examined more/less to keep him on staff? What talks did McCarney have with Shelton? How much film did McCarney watch of Shelton's progress? Did Shelton express interest about staying on staff with NT? Did Shelton interview with other programs? How do you know what McCarney's thoughts were on keeping or not keeping Shelton?

If Coach McCarney doesn't retain Shelton Grandy (sp) then I believe coach Grandy will land on his feet with one D1 coaching somewhere if he chooses. Coach Grandy might even get a raise going to another program.

Lot's of folks had big issue with coach Darrel Dickey when he was here, but many of his assistants were hired by BCS school based on their work at UNT. Another RB's coach Kitchen's that went to Old Miss if I'm not mistaken after coaching Kevin G. and Patrick Cobbs. There are other assistant coaching examples of this on DD's staff. Not so much with Todd Dodge's staff. I think coach Leftwitch (sp) OLine is the only one that comes to mind. Coach Leftwitch (sp) gets a goal star in my mind for leaving when he did.

which of your 15 questions did you want me to answer first? I am merely saying that Shelton was one coach that I felt warranted keeping on...and if replaced I would hope that the guy who replaces him can surpass what he has done thus far at UNT.

which of your 15 questions did you want me to answer first? I am merely saying that Shelton was one coach that I felt warranted keeping on...and if replaced I would hope that the guy who replaces him can surpass what he has done thus far at UNT.

Coach Gandy like Coach Canales always seemed to have a smile on his face and was very program-friendly to outsiders and recruits. Sometimes that quality is missed when coaching changes are made.

Mack Brown hired Bruce Chambers to get into Dallas Carter. (No prior college experience) Chambers has coached Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and others. This hire could hopefully help tap into Florida. Imagine top kids in Texas and Florida. FIU and FAU have done well. Florida, FSU, S. Florida and Central Florida have not been too bad either.

Go Mean Green

Edited by Cooley

Coach Dodge had college experience too. Not to mention numerous state championships....how did that hire work out for us?

There is more to making the transition from HS to college than just coaching techniques. The question of "how are the players going to react to being coached by someone previously at the HS level" has to be addressed. From the players I have spoken with, there were very few that believed Dodge had what it took to take this team to the next level and therefore it was hard for them to give their all for him...even though he had previous college experience.

Coach Dodge had college experience too. Not to mention numerous state championships....how did that hire work out for us?

There is more to making the transition from HS to college than just coaching techniques. The question of "how are the players going to react to being coached by someone previously at the HS level" has to be addressed. From the players I have spoken with, there were very few that believed Dodge had what it took to take this team to the next level and therefore it was hard for them to give their all for him...even though he had previous college experience.

Apples to oranges, when you are comparing the jump from HS to college head coach versus a to a college position coach. Guz Malzahn did an awfully good job jumping right to an SEC offensive coordinator from coaching high school.