It's Like Some Sort Of Football Dream World!

These hires are great! All BCS-quality guys. Bowen part of the Kansas program that climbed all the way to the Orange Bowl in 2007. McCarney with Florida. Canales with Arizona and ties to great coaches out west.

This is a serious coaching staff. If they start winning big here, the sky is the limit on where we can go. Many here nitpick about which bigger small conference to join.

But, if these are the types of coaches we can now draw, and we win and fill that stadium, forget about the MWC and CUSA...go straight for the Big 12-2. They are now short a couple of teams, and we are right in their geographic wheelhouse. And Big 12 pol Donnie Duncan attending for McCarney's hiring.

Somebody pinch me!

If the Big XII-II lost its southern teams down the road, which I think will happen in the next 3-5 years, we could possibly move there. I think Texas will either go independent or will join the Pac-12 down the road. If they go west, Tech, OU, and OSU will follow, while A&M goes to the SEC. If they don't go west and go independent, I believe that the SEC will take A&M and OU. Either way, it would be good for us. The Big XII-II without any of the Southern teams, except Baylor, would provide an instant need for Texas teams. Since Baylor hates TCU and won't play in a conference with them, that would probably help our cause. At worst, at least CUSA and MWC would have even more interest in us, assuming we give them something to be interested about!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

These hires are great! All BCS-quality guys. Bowen part of the Kansas program that climbed all the way to the Orange Bowl in 2007. McCarney with Florida. Canales with Arizona and ties to great coaches out west.

This is a serious coaching staff. If they start winning big here, the sky is the limit on where we can go. Many here nitpick about which bigger small conference to join.

But, if these are the types of coaches we can now draw, and we win and fill that stadium, forget about the MWC and CUSA...go straight for the Big 12-2. They are now short a couple of teams, and we are right in their geographic wheelhouse. And Big 12 pol Donnie Duncan attending for McCarney's hiring.

Somebody pinch me!

I think you need to take your foot off the gas and tap the breaks...

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

If the Big XII-II lost its southern teams down the road, which I think will happen in the next 3-5 years, we could possibly move there. I think Texas will either go independent or will join the Pac-12 down the road. If they go west, Tech, OU, and OSU will follow, while A&M goes to the SEC. If they don't go west and go independent, I believe that the SEC will take A&M and OU. Either way, it would be good for us. The Big XII-II without any of the Southern teams, except Baylor, would provide an instant need for Texas teams. Since Baylor hates TCU and won't play in a conference with them, that would probably help our cause. At worst, at least CUSA and MWC would have even more interest in us, assuming we give them something to be interested about!!

I think that the UT to the PAC-12 ship has sailed. They are not going to allow a member institution to have their own network and UT is not going to give that up. I would think that the independent route is the likely scenario.

I think that the UT to the PAC-12 ship has sailed. They are not going to allow a member institution to have their own network and UT is not going to give that up. I would think that the independent route is the likely scenario.

Maybe in the future UT will go independent, but right now they have everything they want. They have a conference which makes scheduling everything easier. It is a BCS AQ conference so if they win it, they are in and if they are close to winning they have still have a shot to be in. The conference has juggled the finances so instead of equal shares, a winning UT will get a greater share. They will have their own network soon so they get that revenue in addition to the juggled finances.

Going independent doesn't get them more than they have already and it would cost them some extra in scheduling. No reason to change till another conference deal will result in still more money than the juggled Big XII is providing and that isn't going to happen for till the contracts come up in 5 to 8 years depending on the conference.

An indidendant UT and A and M going to the SEC with OU leaving room for us, Houston UTEP and a couple others (you tell me, at that point it would be too awesome to matter) would be Mean Green Paradise. However, it would require TTU, Mizzou, KU, et al to grow a pair and demand to be treated like equal partners in a conference of peers. I don't see it happening too soon, but everyone has a breaking point, right?

However, it would require TTU, Mizzou, KU, et al to grow a pair and demand to be treated like equal partners in a conference of peers. I don't see it happening too soon, but everyone has a breaking point, right?

Let's say that happens, and UNT takes it's rightful place as the king of the conference you envision.

Let's also say that UNT delivers the largest TV market in the conference, has the biggest fan base, travels well to out of town games--providing sellouts to those programs in the process--sells the most tickets, merchandise, and leads the conference in revenue earned.

Should UNT split it's earnings in proportion to what it makes for the conference, or should it share equally with programs that don't pull the weight that UNT does?

My head is spinning from these coaching changes. TWO coaches from the Gators, and TWO from South Florida (Canales included).

i know its water under the bridge, but when you compair coach mac's staff to the high school coaches dodge brought with him, it just makes me want to.........[fill in the blank]. we are finally moving up to the big time!

• Upvote 1

Let's say that happens, and UNT takes it's rightful place as the king of the conference you envision.

Let's also say that UNT delivers the largest TV market in the conference, has the biggest fan base, travels well to out of town games--providing sellouts to those programs in the process--sells the most tickets, merchandise, and leads the conference in revenue earned.

Should UNT split it's earnings in proportion to what it makes for the conference, or should it share equally with programs that don't pull the weight that UNT does?

I'd tell you what I really want, but I really don't want to get into a Todge or PMG style rant. However, I do think there needs to be some kind of balance between an institution's wants and the needs of the conference. To bring things back to reality, the success of our SBC sister wives is good for us, especially if we can manage to get back to whuppin up on them as we all hope. The same would be true if we were dominating the Big 12 if that fantasy land scenario ever happened.

I understand your arguement. I just don't agree with it.

An indidendant UT and A and M going to the SEC with OU leaving room for us, Houston UTEP and a couple others (you tell me, at that point it would be too awesome to matter) would be Mean Green Paradise. However, it would require TTU, Mizzou, KU, et al to grow a pair and demand to be treated like equal partners in a conference of peers. I don't see it happening too soon, but everyone has a breaking point, right?

Screw Texas and OU and A&M. Let's say they all leave. The Big 12 doesn't automatically lose its AQ bid. That would leave - Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, and Iowa State. They could easily bump up to nine or ten by inviting us and another regional school or two that makes sense - Tulsa or Houston or both.

(And, not just football-wise would this be cool - except Tech and Baylor, all of those schools have been good basketball traditions; and, Baylor is getting there)

Yes, it's a dream, but screw waiting on the big players to move. Let's get big. We're now building and hiring big.

i know its water under the bridge, but when you compair coach mac's staff to the high school coaches dodge brought with him, it just makes me want to.........[fill in the blank]. we are finally moving up to the big time!

I agree with your comparison of how the current coaching staff just dwarfs Dodge's. But I said this in another thread. We didn't have to spend any extra money to make things better during the Dodge tenure. All Dodge had to do was keep Bliel, along with any defensive coaching staff he wanted to retain, and his (but mainly OUR) situation would have been worlds better.

Oh well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The PAC 10 ould have to want Tech, OU, and OSU first. I think they just want t.u. That is if the ship hasn't sailed, as was previously mentioned.

I think you need to take your foot off the gas and tap the breaks...

oddballkellysheroes2T1.jpg

My head is spinning from these coaching changes. TWO coaches from the Gators, and TWO from South Florida (Canales included).

I am not trying to stir the pot here, in part, because I don't know the answer to this, but do Ohio State or Florida get more than Northwestern and Vandy for being the king of their conferences? It seems that both schools do everything that Texas does for the Big XII, Again, I don't know the answer on that. How about USC? Do they get more too in the Pac-10 than Washington State? And if they don't get more, why should Texas get more than the others if they are truly equal members of a conference? It just seems like the Big XII is the only league that I have ever heard this imbalance occurring in. Does it happen in the SEC, Big Ten, or Pac-10, as well?

I am not trying to stir the pot here, in part, because I don't know the answer to this, but do Ohio State or Florida get more than Northwestern and Vandy for being the king of their conferences? It seems that both schools do everything that Texas does for the Big XII, Again, I don't know the answer on that. How about USC? Do they get more too in the Pac-10 than Washington State? And if they don't get more, why should Texas get more than the others if they are truly equal members of a conference? It just seems like the Big XII is the only league that I have ever heard this imbalance occurring in. Does it happen in the SEC, Big Ten, or Pac-10, as well?

The Big 10 splits all conference bowl revenue evenly between the 11 schools.

The Big 10 splits all conference bowl revenue evenly between the 11 schools.

I heard that the SEC splits evenly amongst its 12 teams, too. If this is true, why does Texas require a deal that is different than Ohio State and Florida, two other peer institutions that have similar positions within other major conferences?

Edited by untjim1995

I heard that the SEC splits evenly amongst its 12 teams, too. If this is true, why does Texas require a deal that is different than Ohio State and Florida, two other peer institutions that have similar positions within other major conferences?

Just to be clear ... it's not just Texas. Nebraska loved it when at first when they were winning big. Oklahoma prefers the rules as they are. It's not just Texas.

• Upvote 1

SEC splits regional TV coverage not all TV revenue. Each SEC team gets their own local deal on their local RSN.

Thanks for the information--I didn't know that, but it makes more sense. I figured there had to be something to this, otherwise, Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't fight so hard for more $$$.

The 18 million that you see each team get for BCS game and other bowl games do not go to the school it goes to the conference, then gets split up accordingly.

For all yall who dont know the ideal teams in each conference is 12, look it up. Reason being is because of competitive balance and conference championship payouts because the mininum amount of teams required for championship game is 12. The Big 12 will either come back with 12 teams or die and another conference will form. I HIGHLY doubt any conferences will have over 14-16 teams, it doesnt make since economically. If you think to disagree I would be happy to inform you

• Downvote 1

Probably true. The WAC tried 16 schools back in the day. It's too unwieldy. I hope for either a Big 12-2 invite. Or, joining up with the remaining Big 12ers once OU, Texas, and A&M bail out...which they will. Possibly this summer.

Texas surely isn't happy that they didn't get their way. They should do everyone a favor and just go independent. The problem is, being independent with their own TV deal hasn't helped Notre Dame be more competitive. And, it likely won't help BYU either.

The question is, where does Texas go for TV? It will have to be a BYU-like school controlled station because not enough people in America give enough of a crap about the Longhorns for them to sign with a network or even a major cable outfit.

So, Texas...put your money where your big, fat mouth is. Step off the ledge into the world of the totally delusional. You'll be in good company there with Notre Dame and BYU.