Canales Chance As Hc

houstonmeangreen

I would have loved to seen UNT get a win here before playing a good K-State team. I think that it will be virtually impossible for Canales to keep this job, unfortunately. From the stats and the score, it seems to me like the defense just was non-existent and why did Dunbar have 110 yards at halftime and only about 10 in the second half? Anyone have the answers? I couldn't watch the game

I would have loved to seen UNT get a win here before playing a good K-State team. I think that it will be virtually impossible for Canales to keep this job, unfortunately. From the stats and the score, it seems to me like the defense just was non-existent and why did Dunbar have 110 yards at halftime and only about 10 in the second half? Anyone have the answers? I couldn't watch the game

Just finished looking at the stats, and nobody was doing any good running for us in the second half, and they were getting good runs out of several players. My theory is that we were facing a better defense than they were.

The Sun Belt is not harder this year than it has been in the past. I believe there is ONE team with a winning record coming into today's games and that team got absolutely hammered today.

I do not believe that our next head coach is currently on staff nor do I believe that the University paid 40k for a firm to name a current coach. But who knows.

Reread what I said. The Belt, as a whole, has gotten better over the years, compared to what it was when we dominated. The players have gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. It may take a year before we start running the tables like we used to. No, the records of SBC members are not stellar this year, but most of our schools aren't playing cupcakes OOC. Look at who FIU has played, and nearly beat in some cases.

That said, It is still ludicrious to judge Canales based on one game. You have to take into account the injuries, how recruiting has looked thus far, how the players have bought into him, and how he will sell the program.

If Canales is hired, and especially if DeLoach does not return, I would fully expect him to offer Leavitt the DC job.

With everything else being said, IF the university intends to name a new HC by the KSU game, I think the decision has already been made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Reread what I said. The Belt, as a whole, has gotten better over the years, compared to what it was when we dominated

Yeah, no. There's not a single team in the conference with a winning record and our best team just got obliterated in Columbia. If this conference has improved in football at all, it's by a margin so small that it can't be measured.

Yeah, no. There's not a single team in the conference with a winning record and our best team just got obliterated in Columbia. If this conference has improved in football at all, it's by a margin so small that it can't be measured.

No wonder Wright Waters has tried to get jobs elsewhere as I believe I recall reading a year or 2 back. His league is being held together by chewing gum and bailing wire.

North Texas has seemed to have wanted to follow than lead hence Troy's recent multi-year run in a much better SBC than it was in its first 4 years. Being redundant here but in the Belts 10 year history, unfortunately, we still seem to compete best in this league when it is in down mode; of which all but 1 or 2 of its teams seem to be this Fall.

We must start out-recruiting the Lousiana schools (save LSU--lets be realistic here) because if we suddenly had on our team all the best players these 2 or 3 other La. schools recruit in our own backyard, then we start having teams that will easily transcend the Sun Belt Conference best and then we begin our rise which could eventually take us to Boise type success.

This new stadium with the right staff (coaches and ancillary adminstrative) in it can be a huge difference-maker and I think several La. schools getting "OUR" Texas kids now know their days may be numbered in Texas to keep that cycle going.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Reread what I said. The Belt, as a whole, has gotten better over the years, compared to what it was when we dominated. The players have gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. It may take a year before we start running the tables like we used to. No, the records of SBC members are not stellar this year, but most of our schools aren't playing cupcakes OOC. Look at who FIU has played, and nearly beat in some cases.

North Texas has seemed to have wanted to follow than lead hence Troy's recent multi-year run in a much better SBC than it was in its first 4 years. Being redundant here but in the Belts 10 year history, unfortunately, we still seem to compete best in this league when it is in down mode; of which all but 1 or 2 of its teams seem to be this Fall.

Two quotes from above, I will ask the same question I have asked before. Prove that the Belt is significantly better than when NT dominated. I continually see this thrown out there, although it is usually not from NT fans; no one has ever been able to offer much proof that the Belt is better; they just think it is. The facts are that the Belt teams other than this year usually have better records because there are more conference games and there are a few more big OC wins because there are a few more Belt home games against the bigger names. This comment is usually used to put down NT dominance in the early Belt. The truth is that the Belt is marginally better than the early Belt but the Belt ranking among the conferences has not improved and the best NT teams of 2002 and 2003 could complete with anything that has come later. Just because NT has generally been bad for the last six years does not mean the rest of the league has gotten better.

Edited by GrandGreen

My guess would be that 83 of those yards came on a single carry on an injured ankle. They probably evaluated at half time and let him take it easy for the rest of the game.

Which brings up the point why did Byrd only have 4 carries? You don't leave an injured player in the game so he can take it easy. Let him take it easy on the sideline and let a very capable backup take over.

**edited to remove sarcasm.

Preface: did not hear or see the game.

Everyone of us needs to be prepared to admit that a coach, even the best ones, have bad days. We can blame it on individuals and/or circumstance...whatever your agenda. But we can all admit to hearing our favorite coaches saying after a bad game "we just got out coached and outplayed today."

We should not be in a position to be out recruited by LaMo in the grand scheme of things, but that apparently is the case right now; and, for reasons we can only speculate, Canales did not overcome that yesterday.

I still like Canales. I still like Leavitt as my no. 1.

Edited by greenminer

**edited to remove sarcasm.

Preface: did not hear or see the game.

Everyone of us needs to be prepared to admit that a coach, even the best ones, have bad days. We can blame it on individuals and/or circumstance...whatever your agenda. But we can all admit to hearing our favorite coaches saying after a bad game "we just got out coached and outplayed today."

We should not be in a position to be out recruited by LaMo in the grand scheme of things, but that apparently is the case right now; and, for reasons we can only speculate, Canales did not overcome that yesterday.

I still like Canales. I still like Leavitt as my no. 1.

I very much agree with this assessment.....except for the Leavitt part.

In the coaching show last week Canales mentioned that there were several very good players on the ULM team that were from the D/FW area. He indicated that in the future, if he is head coach, he wants to make sure that those guys come to North Texas. Before that, in one of his interviews, he said that one of his biggest priorites in recruiting would be defensive linemen. He said that championship teams all have great D-lines. Interesting comment from an OC don't you think? Even more interesting when you look at the results of yesterday's game where we didn't get adequate D-line play, since ULM averaged about 6 or 7 yards on every first down play. Plus thier QB had time to launch several long TD passes.

Regardless of the reasons for the loss yesterday, IHMO we either need Canales to be our next coach, or we need someone just like this guy. On a very basic level, I believe that this guys gets us and knows what this program really needs.

Leavitt built a program from nothing, but that's much easier to do than re-building a program that has had a bad record, a BAD IMAGE, and a VERY BAD ATTITUDE for decades. Let me repeat that FOR DECADES.

People, it's like the difference in being a successful parent, and being a successful step-parent....with teenage step-children. Raising your own children from birth is challenging enough, but successfully taking over the parenting of someone else's children takes a special person. In this scenario, North Texas is the teenage step-children.

Canales has already immersed himself into this challenge, and I believe that he has the best handle on what to do next with our step-child-like program.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4

In the coaching show last week Canales mentioned that there were several very good players on the ULM team that were from the D/FW area. He indicated that in the future, if he is head coach, he wants to make sure that those guys come to North Texas.

Who doesn't know that? The question is can Canales deliver?

In the coaching show last week Canales mentioned that there were several very good players on the ULM team that were from the D/FW area. He indicated that in the future, if he is head coach, he wants to make sure that those guys come to North Texas. Before that, in one of his interviews, he said that one of his biggest priorites in recruiting would be defensive linemen. He said that championship teams all have great D-lines. Interesting comment from an OC don't you think? Even more interesting when you look at the results of yesterday's game where we didn't get adequate D-line play, since ULM averaged about 6 or 7 yards on every first down play. Plus thier QB had time to launch several long TD passes.

Regardless of the reasons for the loss yesterday, IHMO we either need Canales to be our next coach, or we need someone just like this guy. On a very basic level, I believe that this guys gets us and knows what this program really needs.

Leavitt built a program from nothing, but that's much easier to do than re-building a program that has had a bad record, a BAD IMAGE, and a VERY BAD ATTITUDE for decades. Let me repeat that FOR DECADES.

People, it's like the difference in being a successful parent, and being a successful step-parent....with teenage step-children. Raising your own children from birth is challenging enough, but successfully taking over the parenting of someone else's children takes a special person. In this scenario, North Texas is the teenage step-children.

Canales has already immersed himself into this challenge, and I believe that he has the best handle on what to do next with our step-child-like program.

Wow...this has to be a record for me...this is the second post from Silver that I have to agree with 100% in the last week or so! This game's result has nothing to do with the enthusiasm I feel for Canales being our next HC. Silver said it perfectly when he said we either need this guy or one exactly like him. No one here will change the opinion of anyone else regarding their personal choice for HC, but to say Canales' chances just dropped to nothing due to this loss is really being "out of touch" with reality. Canales may or may not be our next HC, but it will not be based on a loss to Monroe any more than it would be based on a win over WKY.

We will all soon know who will be the next HC of the Mean Green...let's just hope the guy brings a new DC with a new attitude along with him......

Who doesn't know that? The question is can Canales deliver?

Since he has been going out in the community already more than any of the past several coaches he's shown both the willingness and ability to do that. And he has show he can motivate a seriously down set of players. While some will graduate, most will not and they are already showing loyalty to Canales. According the quotes from a number of others including Jim Leavitt, Canales is a great recruiter.

And, he doesn't have the baggage attached to slow him down when he starts that a few other potential coaches have.

• Upvote 2

Really? Who knew?

You knew, just like the rest of those who actually support this program through "good times and bad". Silver, like you, me and a bunch of others have stood by this program through the good times and the bad, and I know we'll continue to do just that...the "good news" is that it seems to me that the "ship is beginning to right itself". So, it will be a lot more fun in the seasons to come.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Really? Who knew?

People who have studied the growth of football programs transitioning from 1AA to 1A and now from FCS to FBS. The shorter the period of time in 1aa or FCS the quicker the program starts winning at the 1A or FBS level. Florida Atlantic for example. That is also why people like Arkstatefan have said UTSA has an edge over TSSM. WKU was so convinced their success at the 1aa level would equate to success at the 1a level they ignored the reality for a couple of years before starting to make changes. In business, you would say they are let sunk costs influence their decision, i.e. "Since we already have invested X time and dollars in a project we should keep investing more so what is there wasn't wasted." That's a complete fallacy - sunk costs are just don't and don't worry about them.

Silver Eagle is quite right on this one!