Canales Chance As Hc

houstonmeangreen

Harry,

It's also sad that people seem too been waiting for a loss so they can write off Canales. I guess if we hire someone else the expectation is that they will not lose????

And what is wrong with this? There is nothing wrong in being picky and elevating your standards that you want a coach that will win and take you to the next level of FBS football. Time is not on our side if we screw this thing up once more.

It is better to have no history than tainted history.

Maybe so but I think that is an excuse for accepting less than mediocre product. Based on the resources, growing support and school pride, I think NT is playing a different game at this point that it hasn't seen in probably ever and I don't think the tainted history will play in to what our future holds. The key is if you want something done then it can be done no matter what type of past you have.

People who have studied the growth of football programs transitioning from 1AA to 1A and now from FCS to FBS. The shorter the period of time in 1aa or FCS the quicker the program starts winning at the 1A or FBS level. Florida Atlantic for example. That is also why people like Arkstatefan have said UTSA has an edge over TSSM. WKU was so convinced their success at the 1aa level would equate to success at the 1a level they ignored the reality for a couple of years before starting to make changes. In business, you would say they are let sunk costs influence their decision, i.e. "Since we already have invested X time and dollars in a project we should keep investing more so what is there wasn't wasted." That's a complete fallacy - sunk costs are just don't and don't worry about them.

Silver Eagle is quite right on this one!

As stated before a while ago, it hardly takes a rocket scientist to see UT-San Antonio (located in what many would call a tourist destination city) and the Road Runners moving to a major stadium, ie, the Alamo-Dome "might very well do" what South Florida pulled off a few short years ago (maybe not quite as grandiose as USF) but.........

............ still such a feat that would leave one particular Sun Belt school's constituency dead in its long existing traditional tracks with a growing number of NT Exes asking: "What the hell do we keep doing wrong in Denton as all these schools post-Missouri Valley Conference days up to even now have kept "Beep-Beeping" past us while we still try to find our identity? And we doing this while we beat up on 'Belt schools seemedly only when the 'Belt is in down mode? (A reason so many DFW alums still do not want to be part of this on-going charade led by some personnel who might not should be employed at an FBS school at all and what year after year green flags seem to indicate that)? Pretty cushy jobs it has seemed to many who can see through all this.

All one has to do to get away from that big vat of green Kool-Ade and merely go outside the Denton City Limits into the realistic world of Dallas-Fort Worth to get a true reading of this from many on the outside looking in. Whats that saying about the trees and the forest?

I hope all of Chuck Neinas' reports turned into Prez' Rawlins office does not mince words as to why UNT, ie, the 3'rd (or still 4'th?) largest university in the Lone Star State which seems to keep all the same players in place who have kept giving us the same results with so many buying into the BS (which that part may even be the worst part of all). Ever read the story of the Emperor's or King's Clothes and how his subjects treated him with such regale as they said behind his back as you know they had to be thinking: "What the hell is all this about" with our clotheless King and just look at us praising the sumbich)? :blink:

Meanwhile, how do we feel when we see a school with no football program in Texas do like all those in Florida and get to our almost 100 year football history level pretty quick or way past it, ie, U of South Florida? As said, I do not hope Neinas minces words in his full report. We tend to let some state employees float when some need to be torpedo'd out of the state system period and that not just in Denton, either.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

Nope.

But, then again, I care about the program, not a head coach candidate.

Good answer, UNT90...

Fact is, if we did not care none of us would waste one minute of our time on this message board.

Some of us Older Gun Alums are running out of time to see marked change at UNT, subsequently one reason some of us might be a bit more graphic with what we see as answers to our dilemma. Wish past UNT powers would have been a bit more graphic to address all of this themselves than accept what they've had to accept right along with us, to.

GMG!

Which is more important for UNT's current situation, perceived baggage or proven head coaching experience?

It's not "perceived baggage." How many articles have been written about his great coaching record verse the number about his dismissal and lawsuit in the last year?

All I'm writing is why buy a head ache when you don't have to?

I think that was it for Chico. While I think the team has improved since he took over, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for what we're looking for. My dream scenario would have Leavitt as HC and Chico as OC, but I'm sure he won't be up for that.

My friend and I drove and went to the game and we couldn't help but think that we were playing in a high school stadium. Their home side looked good from the field, but their signs are all spraypainted and the age showed. It made us appreciate Fouts a little bit more!

Did anybody take advantage of the drive through daquiri joint near the stadium?

• Upvote 1

I think that was it for Chico. While I think the team has improved since he took over, it just doesn't seem like the right fit for what we're looking for. My dream scenario would have Leavitt as HC and Chico as OC, but I'm sure he won't be up for that.

My friend and I drove and went to the game and we couldn't help but think that we were playing in a high school stadium. Their home side looked good from the field, but their signs are all spraypainted and the age showed. It made us appreciate Fouts a little bit more!

Did anybody take advantage of the drive through daquiri joint near the stadium?

Your friend sounds like a real jerk

What makes you think this?

You're really going out on a limb with this expectation.

Im not really going out on a limb.

Why do I think that Canales would offer Leavitt a position?

1. They worked well in the past. Twice.

2. Leavitt is currently out of work

3. Canales could pluck Leavitt's brain on building a program.

4. They worked well in the past. Twice.

Nope.

But, then again, I care about the program, not a head coach candidate.

I care about the program as well. I guess we all have a chance to make fans or run them off. I would rather choose to make fans.

Regarding the coaching search, the right head coach is essential in building a program and I think Canales has shown the ability to do this in his short time in the interim position.

Levitt: Built USF, got them into the Big East, team always finished middle of the pack, left under player abuse allegations and doesn't appear to have many supporters in Tampa.

Leach: Brought TTech out of the the middle of the Big XII to contend for the conference/national title, teams played no defense, never showed an interest in mingling with the supporters of the Tech program, left under player abuse programs and divided the fanbase.

Franchione: Was successful at NMU as well as TCU, although Patterson has taken them to another level, failed at Alabama due to program issues, was run out of College Station due to a subscription based newsletter and divide the fanbase.

Everyone of the coaches you support has some type baggage attached, that ended up hurting the program in the long run.

Again, to clarify my position on the coaching search, I want the right coach that will build this program, unite the community, alumni, students and faculty and staff, recruits Texas, and specifically the Metroplex well, fits NT's budget, demands excellence both on and off the field from the young men on the team, and if chosen by another program as their HC and he accepts, has the staff in place to provide continuity similar to what Boise State and TCU have done.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, no. There's not a single team in the conference with a winning record and our best team just got obliterated in Columbia. If this conference has improved in football at all, it's by a margin so small that it can't be measured.

Right, Troy did get "obliterated" by S. Carolina. Not sure if you saw the little "17" by the university's name, but that means they are ranked as the 17th best team in the nation.

FIU has lost to Rutgers by 5, TAMU by 7 in a game in which they could have won, Were competitive against Maryland for at least a half before giving way, and then lost to Pitt.

If you are judging by this year alone, then yes, the SBC is bad. If you are taking the conference as a whole, over the past few years, then the conference has gotten better. But, let's use your argument. So the Big 12 is a crappy conference too then, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Right, Troy did get "obliterated" by S. Carolina. Not sure if you saw the little "17" by the university's name, but that means they are ranked as the 17th best team in the nation.

FIU has lost to Rutgers by 5, TAMU by 7 in a game in which they could have won, Were competitive against Maryland for at least a half before giving way, and then lost to Pitt.

If you are judging by this year alone, then yes, the SBC is bad. If you are taking the conference as a whole, over the past few years, then the conference has gotten better. But, let's use your argument. So the Big 12 is a crappy conference too then, right?

So we shouldn't expect our top tier teams in the Belt to be competitive versus ranked opponents ?

Close only counts in horseshoes , i don't like to play the woulda coulda game. If that's the case we just might be bowling this year

SunBelt is garbage , simple as that. 10 years and we still haven't seen a team ranked and we average 1 bowl game win every 2 years for the conference

• Upvote 3

So we shouldn't expect our top tier teams in the Belt to be competitive versus ranked opponents ?

Close only counts in horseshoes , i don't like to play the woulda coulda game. If that's the case we just might be bowling this year

SunBelt is garbage , simple as that. 10 years and we still haven't seen a team ranked and we average 1 bowl game win every 2 years for the conference

The MAC had a team come within a single win of qualifying for the BCS two years ago. They went at least two and I think three decades before they had a top 20 team.

The Belt is progressing just fine. Clearly it is in better shape than the WAC.

Don't forget hand granades. Id even add in land mines.

I want them to be competitive, yes. but let's face it SBC schools have a long uphill battle. But I don't think it is accurate to say that the Belt has not improved.

The MAC had a team come within a single win of qualifying for the BCS two years ago. They went at least two and I think three decades before they had a top 20 team.

The Belt is progressing just fine. Clearly it is in better shape than the WAC.

a win over Buffalo that year would not have qualified them for a BCS bid. If my memory is correct they weren't even in the top 12 before that game. That was a very overrated team , a team that even we beat the next year. They got blown out by Tulsa in the bowl game

If we do nothing then eventually the WAC will pass us by again. Their track record is better than ours , i.e Benson > Waters. If we do nothing the WAC will somehow surive , we need to do our part and just kill that conference or join it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't forget hand granades. Id even add in land mines.

I want them to be competitive, yes. but let's face it SBC schools have a long uphill battle. But I don't think it is accurate to say that the Belt has not improved.

It just seems that every time this conference takes a step forward it shoots itself in the foot and takes 2 steps back

a win over Buffalo that year would not have qualified them for a BCS bid. If my memory is correct they weren't even in the top 12 before that game. That was a very overrated team , a team that even we beat the next year. They got blown out by Tulsa in the bowl game

If we do nothing then eventually the WAC will pass us by again. Their track record is better than ours , i.e Benson > Waters. If we do nothing the WAC will somehow surive , we need to do our part and just kill that conference or join it

While I agree it's possible for the WACky to pass us by again, I don't see how it can happen. They are getting destroyed by defections. I think it would take the SBC taking major steps back to allow the WACKy to pass us by.

Tell you what, since you are such a Levitt fan, how about Missouri hire Levitt and you send Pinkel to Denton?

Yep, there you are, making friends.

At least that guy makes it clear he isn't a fan and you know his exact agenda. Eltoro and his ilk will be gone from this board in 2 weeks, meanwhile they pretend to be fans to push for Coach Canales.

I wish all of them would go away and let the fans of this program discuss this program's issues.

I wish all of them would go away and let the fans of this program discuss this program's issues.

Yeah, this is something new? What exactly do they expect to accomplish?

Maybe my memory fails me but I don't remember this happening after Dickey got fired. For example, are there new people on the Colorado fan board pushing certain candidates that have no ties to the Colorado program?

I don't get it.

Hahahahahahahahaha....Benson better than Waters?.....man you guys are killing me.

Benson has managed to kill a conference TWICE.

Waters is trying to make something with nothing, Benson made nothing out of something.

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 3

Hahahahahahahahaha....Benson better than Waters?.....man you guys are killing me.

Benson has managed to kill a conference TWICE.

Waters is trying to make something with nothing, Benson made nothing out of something.

I don't think building a conference where teams leave for better opportunities would be considering killing it. When SMU,Rice,Tulane,TCU,Tulsa all bolted for C -USA he brought in powers Boise & Nevada.

If teams left the Belt right now this conference would die , Waters couldn't save it. Not saying that Benson has done a wonferful job , but at least he's done something.

WAC has been head and shoulders above the Belt

5 years down the line if we are in better shape than the WAC I guess I'll just take my lumps.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1