Texas Tech (11/16/10)

CMJ

Figured we should get this one started. Banner raising night, Big XII school, thousands of fans, etc..

ULM hung with Tech for a good while IN Lubbock. So, despite our sluggish early play, this is most definitely a game we can win.

Outside of Roberson and Singletary (and Henderson, but he can't play this year), do they have anyone that we would covet?

I am really amped about this game. This is definitely a winnable game, but they will have to come out sharp and on target early on.

Pre-season, I thought for sure we'd win... but the opening 2 games shook me a bit.. One important factor though: JJ teams sometimes play to the level of their opponent, and saw that in these early games again. I hope this works in our favor for the Texas Tech game - Josh White in particular has been known to show up in spectacular fashion for big time games... GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

I am really amped about this game. This is definitely a winnable game, but they will have to come out sharp and on target early on.

Pre-season, I thought for sure we'd win... but the opening 2 games shook me a bit.. One important factor though: JJ teams sometimes play to the level of their opponent, and saw that in these early games again. I hope this works in our favor for the Texas Tech game - Josh White in particular has been known to show up in spectacular fashion for big time games... GO MEAN GREEN!

Tristan looked ok against K State last year... ;)

• Upvote 2

3.. Ncaa Tournament Banner, SunBelt Postseason Tournament Championship, and Sunbelt West Division Champion.

West division champion? eh...kinda pointless since we were Sun Belt tournament champions. Personally, I think teams should only raise banners for championships or in the case of NCAA basketball Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Figured we should get this one started. Banner raising night, Big XII school, thousands of fans, etc..

ULM hung with Tech for a good while IN Lubbock. So, despite our sluggish early play, this is most definitely a game we can win.

They did beat ULM by 19 though. So does that make Tech a good Tech team or ULM a bad ULM team.

We beat ULM by 17 early last season but then, seemingly, squeaked by them by 3 points at the end of the season and again by 3 in the tourney. Is that ULM team the same that played Tech or did they lose some guys to graduation etc?

They did beat ULM by 19 though. So does that make Tech a good Tech team or ULM a bad ULM team.

We beat ULM by 17 early last season but then, seemingly, squeaked by them by 3 points at the end of the season and again by 3 in the tourney. Is that ULM team the same that played Tech or did they lose some guys to graduation etc?

That score is very deceiving...ULM hung right with Tech for 35 minutes...at least 20 lead changes and ULM opened up a double figure second half lead at one point. Problem is ULM has little to no serviceable depth...they have a good new coach, but their last coach left them with APR problems that cost ULM 2 scholarships. One of those is being held for a transfer, so ULM has 10 available scholarship players this season.

Tech looked very beatable.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

West division champion? eh...kinda pointless since we were Sun Belt tournament champions. Personally, I think teams should only raise banners for championships or in the case of NCAA basketball Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours.

I disagree, to put in another context- Rangers will raise both the AL West banner and AL Championship banner, both should rightfully be raised. Same can be said about UNT.

For the game itself, in my three years at UNT this is the most excited I have been for a sporting event. Our basketball team is set for another great run and I think this is the first step of getting the team and fans on board for a run at the Big Dance.

• Upvote 2

The Sun Belt West Title is a regular season conference championship, so that gets a banner.

The Sun Belt Tournament Title is a postseason conference championship, so that gets a banner.

The NCAA Tournament banner just shows our participation in the tournament, which I think most schools display in some form.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

I disagree, to put in another context- Rangers will raise both the AL West banner and AL Championship banner, both should rightfully be raised. Same can be said about UNT.

For the game itself, in my three years at UNT this is the most excited I have been for a sporting event. Our basketball team is set for another great run and I think this is the first step of getting the team and fans on board for a run at the Big Dance.

The AL West title means something though because every division winner is given a spot in the playoffs. What did UNT get for winning the west division in the Sun Belt? Nothing. There shouldn't even be divisions in college basketball since almost every team makes the conference tourney.

I don't really care either way, just a personal preference

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The AL West title means something though because every division winner is given a spot in the playoffs. What did UNT get for winning the west division in the Sun Belt? Nothing. There shouldn't even be divisions in college basketball since almost every team makes the conference tourney.

I don't really care either way, just a personal preference

They got a trophy actually....just like Troy got one for winning the East.

• Upvote 1

Texas Tech is returning a great squad that was just a second away from the NIT Semifinals. The ULM game wasn't much of a showing by the Red Raiders but, I think North Texas will keep it a closer game then ULM did. It'll be fun seeing just how good both teams can play against quality competition. Keep your Eagle Claws high because there will be a sea of Guns Up in the Super Pit tomorrow.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas Tech is returning a great squad that was just a second away from the NIT Semifinals. The ULM game wasn't much of a showing by the Red Raiders but, I think North Texas will keep it a closer game then ULM did. It'll be fun seeing just how good both teams can play against quality competition. Keep your Eagle Claws high because there will be a sea of Guns Up in the Super Pit tomorrow.

Good luck!

So you expect Tech to win? Hmmmm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas Tech is returning a great squad that was just a second away from the NIT Semifinals.

I don't think a great squad and NIT belong in the same sentence. Especially for a Big 12 team. I'd say Tech has a decent or nice team. They are middle of road in Big 12. Kansas, KSU, Mizzou, Baylor, Texas and A&M are all better.

Tech is better than North Texas but UNT has a real shot tomorrow.

• Downvote 3