We Must Have A Big Name Coach Asap

FLAUNTER

Why has no one mentioned Chris Peterson's name when discussing big name coaching candidates? He's proven he can win at a non BCS school, he's proven he can help build a program, and he'd love to give up the national spotlight just to get into the Texas recruiting pipeline.

He'd be crazy leaving Boise State. The man can do absolutely no wrong there right now and I think he is one of the few coaches that really realizes that. Why mess up something so great. And no he would never come here in these circumstances. We probably have a better shot at Mike Leach than Chris Petersen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU was in just as much disarray when they got June Jones. Thats what 10 individuals putting up $1M a piece gets you. We don't have the funds. Our only selling point for a big name coach would be our brand new stadium and recruiting/talent pool around the area. If we can't figure this out as an administration and sell someone on those points, then we should just give up and go down to 1-AA already.

Boy, we do have some dreamers in this fanbase, thats for sure.

For those of you "it has to be a big name guy", I would like to invite you all out to eat at Ruths Chris Steakhouse with $5 in your pocket and no other form of payment.

Their bread and butter is complimentary, so it can be done with a little nerve and imagination. B)

Boy, we do have some dreamers in this fanbase, thats for sure.

For those of you "it has to be a big name guy", I would like to invite you all out to eat at Ruths Chris Steakhouse with $5 in your pocket and no other form of payment.

for those of you that think low hanging fruit is the best unt can do, please stand in the back of the room. there is going to be a new sheriff and it will not be a tenderfoot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This turned into the worst thread I have ever read on this board and that's saying something. I think our fanbase is delusional if the name Chris Petersen shows up on a wish list. I can only imagine the laughter on other boards around the country at him being listed on this wish list. Peterson has to make a very high salary and bonus at Boise (surely it comes close to a million dollars, if not more, as a package). We need to make a nice hire here, for sure. But Chris Petersen is a Top 10 coach in the country. I would put him up there with Saban, Meyer, Stoops, Tressel, Mack Brown and Gary Patterson as some of the best program leaders in college football. He has proven that he can build up a program to even greater heights than where it was when he took over for several years.

We need Franchione, Kragthorpe, one of the Bowdens, Glen Mason, or someone like this to get the ball rolling here. For each one of those guys, a package of $500K would get any of them and have $$$$ left to spare. But just stop with the Mike Leach and Chris Petersen stuff. It ain't happening here.

Unfortunately Coach Dodge will not be back but he has cleaned up the program. Whomever RV hires I hope will be able to win and recruit quality athletes. If whomever is selected and can put 7 to 8 wins a year he will have a good career at NT until he decides to retire or move on. However, with all that said I am still behind both the coaches and players as I would like nothing better than the team to win the remainder of their games this year.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Unfortunately Coach Dodge will not be back but he has cleaned up the program. Whomever RV hires I hope will be able to win and recruit quality athletes. If whomever is selected and can put 7 to 8 wins a year he will have a good career at NT until he decides to retire or move on. However, with all that said I am still behind both the coaches and players as I would like nothing better than the team to win the remainder of their games this year.

GMG

So, you think 7-5 every year is a "good career?" That's only one game above 500. 8-4 is a little better but I'm still not satisfied with that being the expectation. With our future OOC schedules, I don't realistically expect to ever go undefeated but I don't think a 10-2 or 11-1 mark should be out of the realm of expectations either.

You guys need to consider David Bailiff. He used to be an assistant

here at TCU. He left to become Head Coach at Texas State I think. I heard

that he did very well there. I think he may have left there and is coaching

somewhere else now. Just a thought. :)

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Here is the man you are looking for. Native Texan, outstanding overall record, former Hayden Fry assistant, and has proven he can beat big time programs.

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=104462&SPID=12811&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=1548734&Q_SEASON=2010

No way. Jerry Moore ruined a good returning veteran Fry team at NT in 1979 and 80 and sent us on our way down to 1-AA. Keep him in the hills! :P

• Upvote 1

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Yeah I think you'll find him in Houston, coaching the Rice team that's gone 2-0 against us in Dodge's tenure. If you can't beat em, hire em? I like it.

GO FROGS!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

I know Dick Bumpas has no interest in being a head coach, but are any of your other current assistants thought of as head coach material? Maybe Justin Fuente? Bring Clay Jennings, a UNT alum, along as his DC? I'd take that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think our fanbase is delusional if the name Chris Petersen shows up on a wish list. I can only imagine the laughter on other boards around the country at him being listed on this wish list.

I'm tired of our fans wanting to be a big time program but continuing to think of ourselves as 'the little guy.'

• Upvote 2

Why not just "cool your jets" and see how it plays out? Fun to speculate, for certain, but I really do not think most on this board (including me) have any real idea how much in the way of $$$$ RV will have or who might be on his "wish list". There is no name that anyone on this board can mention that RV has not probably thought of or considered. If you don't think that calls and resumes from coaches are already piling up I would think you are sadly mistaken. RV is probably being "recruited" as much as any 4-star running back in HS is being recruited. Head coaches are talking up their assistants, unemployed coaches are calling and other possible candidates are probably making some inquiries as well.

It's all a matter of time and it will play out in the normal course of business. In the meantime, there is a season still underway that needs our attention and the attention of all members of the Mean green nation. There is a game this Saturday and the Mean green need everyone to be there in support for the current players and coaching staff and for THEIR UNIVERSITY.

GO MEAN GREEN...see you Saturday at Fouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why not just "cool your jets" and see how it plays out? Fun to speculate, for certain, but I really do not think most on this board (including me) have any real idea how much in the way of $$$$ RV will have or who might be on his "wish list". There is no name that anyone on this board can mention that RV has not probably thought of or considered. If you don't think that calls and resumes from coaches are already piling up I would think you are sadly mistaken. RV is probably being "recruited" as much as any 4-star running back in HS is being recruited. Head coaches are talking up their assistants, unemployed coaches are calling and other possible candidates are probably making some inquiries as well.

It's all a matter of time and it will play out in the normal course of business. In the meantime, there is a season still underway that needs our attention and the attention of all members of the Mean green nation. There is a game this Saturday and the Mean green need everyone to be there in support for the current players and coaching staff and for THEIR UNIVERSITY.

GO MEAN GREEN...see you Saturday at Fouts.

Agree...

If Kragthorpe is calling then someone needs to find the soundbite of him being just a tad condescending toward North Texas when asked if he would be interested in our job a few years ago. Life Lesson? Don't burn your bridges.

GMG!

I'm tired of our fans wanting to be a big time program but continuing to think of ourselves as 'the little guy.'

There's a big gulf in between not settling for bottom of the rung and prying Petersen away from Boise. It's gonna take a helluva contract AND a perfect situation to pull him away from there. He's seen Koetter and Hawkins fail elsewhere (with both admitting maybe they should have stayed). I don't think he'll leave unless someplace like a Michigan or Notre Dame calls. One of the truly big boys - ie top 10 program alltime - could pull him away. I'm not thinking he'd leave for an Arizona State or Colorado or a North Texas.

Edited by CMJ

There's a big gulf in between not settling for bottom of the rung and prying Petersen away from Boise. It's gonna take a helluva contract AND a perfect situation to pull him away from there. He's seen Koetter and Hawkins fail elsewhere (with both admitting maybe they should have stayed). I don't think he'll leave unless someplace like a Michigan or Notre Dame calls. One of the truly big boys - ie top 10 program alltime - could pull him away. I'm not thinking he'd leave for an Arizona State or Colorado or a North Texas.

I was really just kidding. I was told the same thing when I mentioned in another thread that Leach would never come here.