Uniform Comments

Harry

Rick or anyone have a picture of the uniforms he is talking about here? Too many changes and too many years have passed for me to remember. I'm thinking these were the white pants with the double green stripe and the white shirts with the shoulder stripes if memory serves me right. If so, I would agree.

This?

Scott_Davis.jpg

Here's a picture of it during the UT Screw Job of 1988:

88nontdcatch2.jpg

Still gets my blood boiling! And the announcer is correct, that was the second bad call, the first one being worse than the second in my oppinion when they called their fullback down after he fumbled while being stood nearly straight up earlier at the beginning of the game. Our defense goes running off the field with the ball only to have to turn around and go back out. We had a 14-0 and should have had the ball back near the redzone with a chance to go up 21-0 early.

Once you witness a David vs Goliath game like that you'll be a Mean Green fan for life!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Here's a picture of it during the UT Screw Job of 1988:

I actually showed the 1988 video to my girlfriend last night after a questionable call in the boise game...needless to say she was disgusted.

There are some interesting comments underneath the video on the youtube website...including one ut fan that basically said texas was bad back then, so if UNT had won it would not have been anything to be proud of. :huh: I guess he forgot we were 1-AA...

I don't mind the all white but would love to see a little more color. Love the color green of our numbers and would like to see that color incorporated more into our pants.

No green pants, no black jerseys and please get us a green helmet with a logo.

It'll never happen as long as RV is A.D. He LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS that text "North Texas" because it's easily read in any picture taken, and video footage. His idea, his theory. You gotta remember, he came from Southern Mississippi, where their helmets said "SOUTHERN MISS". Im with you, but the idea stops at RV's door. You never know, with a great season and a new stadium, he might be open to it next year....

It'll never happen as long as RV is A.D. He LOVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS that text "North Texas" because it's easily read in any picture taken, and video footage. His idea, his theory. You gotta remember, he came from Southern Mississippi, where their helmets said "SOUTHERN MISS". Im with you, but the idea stops at RV's door. You never know, with a great season and a new stadium, he might be open to it next year....

And the only reason anyone is even aware of Southern Miss has to do with Brett Favre, not their helmets stating the name. To me, it says exactly what RV apparently wants: we're so small time, that we're going to print the name of our school on the helmet so that you can't go 3 seconds without seeing it and forgetting who we are. Someone needs to tell Boise State and Utah that we've found the key to football marketing success.

And the only reason anyone is even aware of Southern Miss has to do with Brett Favre, not their helmets stating the name. To me, it says exactly what RV apparently wants: we're so small time, that we're going to print the name of our school on the helmet so that you can't go 3 seconds without seeing it and forgetting who we are. Someone needs to tell Boise State and Utah that we've found the key to football marketing success.

Ole Miss and Cal both have their name in script on their helmets, and Florida has "gators" in script on their helmets. All 3 are big programs.

As for UNT, I like them how they are now. If our helmets changed though, for me it would be a toss up between the eagle logo, and an interlocking "NT". I don't think the helmets we have right now say "small time" though.

Edited by Mean Green Matt

Ole Miss and Cal both have their name in script on their helmets, and Florida has "gators" in script on their helmets. All 3 are big programs.

The schools that spell out all or part of their names on their helmet (not including those where it's part of a logo, their nickname, or their initials, eg. UH for Houston):

Cal

Illinois

North Texas

Ohio

Mississippi

Pitt

Southern Miss

Temple

Toledo

Tulsa

Some might argue that Pitt's helmet is iconic, but I'd argue that none of them are. That list is made up of some of the worst helmets in FBS. Here is the list if you want to compare.

Personal opinion, stacked letters or initials are almost universally as bad with a couple exceptions.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

North Texas is easy to read about 12" down from helmet, the NORTH TEXAS that goes across the front of the jersey. Do we really need to have it in two places? Thursday night when MTSU was playing Minnesota, they had MT on their helmets, I doubt anybody watching didn't see Middle Tennesse up in the corner of the screen with the score and Middle Tennessee on their jerseys.

Who cares what RV wants or likes, is he an alum of NT? Shouldn't it be more about what the paying alum, coaches and players want?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have no complaints about our current modern UA template (South Carolina's minus the shoulder stripes). Green pants in the same shade as the numbers would work, or at least a metallic green helmet for road games.

If we did get a black-for-black's-sake (bfbs) jersey in the same style as the current jersey, it should be worn with the white pants only. Philly's bfbs/green pants is regularly panned on UniWatch.