Uta To Finally Get Off The Stage

Duck_Mav

Coach Cross did a fine job with Coach McCarter's players. It will be interesting to see how he does with his own recruits.

I remember seeing a newspaper story once about McCarter's teams finishing better than their pre-season predictions for about 9 straight years or some other ridiculous number. I thought he did a good job there and deserved a chance to coach his best team.

I've been to several games at Texas Hall. Where will the new "gym" be built ?

map-large.jpg

The proposed site for the special events center is at the northeast corner of campus between South Center and South Pecan streets at West Second street. The Center's location is strategic for both the campus community and downtown development.

They are wanting to make a "college town" of restaurants, shopping, etc. and connect the university to downtown Arlington. The arena will be on the west end of that area. There's going to be a new parking garage adjacent to the new arena, so parking should be pretty easy for events over there.

They are wanting to make a "college town" of restaurants, shopping, etc. and connect the university to downtown Arlington. The arena will be on the west end of that area. There's going to be a new parking garage adjacent to the new arena, so parking should be pretty easy for events over there.

A college town...something the UNT campus could really use...such areas are great for "game days", out of town visitors, locals to spend some $$$$, etc., etc. Was hoping the Fry Street area would develop into a bit of a "campus corner" for UNT...still might. I'll keep my fingers crossed...but, there are always the "not in my backyard" folks around who seem to want to stop most any development where ever it may be in Denton. We'll just have to wait and see.

They're not going to ticket people for parking in the lot that are attending the events are they? I still haven't paid the last one I got that night before Thanksgiving. Of course, they got the state wrong when they wrote the ticket. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Cross did a fine job with Coach McCarter's players. It will be interesting to see how he does with his own recruits.

I remember seeing a newspaper story once about McCarter's teams finishing better than their pre-season predictions for about 9 straight years or some other ridiculous number. I thought he did a good job there and deserved a chance to coach his best team.

Interesting story perhaps. If it said that, it was not accurate. Scott Cross and other assistants recruited most if not all of McCarter's best players, so Cross has been working with his own recruits for many years. While McCarter could not take complete credit for the talent brought in, he definitely earned his reputation as a below-average coach during the last two minutes of any game. He was not able to close the deal, and that's one of the reasons he was let go.

As for getting a chance to coach his best team, McCarter did, in 2003-04. They tied for the regular season championship, then lost in the conference tournament semifinals to SFA, blowing a lead in the last minute. Talk about getting a chance! UTA kept McCarter for 14 years, despite his overall losing record.

Here's a pic for any of you Mavericks that happen to be perusing the board.

1957 Rose Bowl Pennant for UTA (then Arlington State JC)

fbarlingtonpen.JPG

Sold recently by a collector in California on his web site for $45. That would look pretty cool framed in a game room.

Edited by ADLER

Here's a pic for any of you Mavericks that happen to be perusing the board.

1957 Rose Bowl Pennant for UTA (then Arlngton JC)

fbarlingtonpen.JPG

Sold recently by a collector in California on his web site for $45. That would look pretty cool framed in a game room.

Sic transit gloria. Maybe someday soon we'll finally get the go-ahead to be a real university and play football. Lamar recently announced their 2010 football schedule and UTSA is gearing up to start play in 2011, leaving UTA and TAMU-cc as the only non-FB schools in the Southland.

I hope we can get a few more really big crowds in the SuperPit before the luxury boxes are added. Those would probably take out at least acouple thousand of seats.

I always thought it might be easiest to convert the current concession stands into boxes and build new concessions on the outside of the arena. Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

I always thought it might be easiest to convert the current concession stands into boxes and build new concessions on the outside of the arena. Just a thought.

It was officially approved today by the folks in Austin. Here's a story, with the latest conceptual drawings...gonna be a great facility. If we've been able to be competitive in our conference and beat good teams like UNT once in awhile recruiting to Texas Hall, imagine what this could potentially do for us talent-wise. That's why UNT has been so good--Super Pit is a great facility.

http://www.utamavs.com/genrel/111209aaa.html

It was officially approved today by the folks in Austin. Here's a story, with the latest conceptual drawings...gonna be a great facility. If we've been able to be competitive in our conference and beat good teams like UNT once in awhile recruiting to Texas Hall, imagine what this could potentially do for us talent-wise. That's why UNT has been so good--Super Pit is a great facility.

http://www.utamavs.com/genrel/111209aaa.html

Congrats. $78 million seems to be the going price for new metroplex college venues this year. Here are links to more UTA pics from the HKS site (plus UNT stadium, TCU proposal, etc.)...

http://hks.hksinc.com/#/sports/experiences...57&id=album

We're thinking of going to the game at UTA next week. I know there is bleacher and theater seating. Which is better?

GMG!

There are actually three options: lower/floor theater seats (first few rows sit below stage level and look up at the action - a unique way to watch basketball), balcony theater seats (look out and down on the action, the quiet choice), or old-style bleachers on the stage (rowdy and up close to the action).

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/images_si...urces_photoview

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_sto...eyword=topstory

Edited by NT80

There are actually three options: lower/floor theater seats (first few rows sit below stage level and look up at the action - a unique way to watch basketball), balcony theater seats (look out and down on the action, the quiet choice), or old-style bleachers on the stage (rowdy and up close to the action).

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/images_si...urces_photoview

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_sto...eyword=topstory

As a longtime UTA fan who's attended probably 50 games up there, I'd say the balcony, about 5 rows up. I personally don't like the lower floor. The bleachers on the stage side are very good too--it's only like 10 rows high so you're literally sitting right on top of the benches. But for the overall bird's-eye view of the court but not too far way, I like the balcony. It's also right across from the benches so you can see who's subbing in/out of the game easier. And when you get a good crowd in there (seats 3000 for hoops...I'm guessing it'll be 1500-2000 fans there next week) it's pretty loud no matter where you sit.

I went to the last UNT game there two years ago. I tried to sit in the lower floor seats but looking up at a stage to watch a bball game was just too wierd. I then moved to the bleachers which were packed. It was more of a traditional way to watch the game, but still felt odd since the bleacher section is small. I may try the balcony next time. Also, if you are going to the game, show-up early. Last time we played there the line to buy tickets was very long. Many of the UTA fans were surprised by this. That's what happens when you schedule a local team. SMU and TCU should try this, hint, hint.

I went to the last UNT game there two years ago. I tried to sit in the lower floor seats but looking up at a stage to watch a bball game was just too wierd. I then moved to the bleachers which were packed. It was more of a traditional way to watch the game, but still felt odd since the bleacher section is small. I may try the balcony next time. Also, if you are going to the game, show-up early. Last time we played there the line to buy tickets was very long. Many of the UTA fans were surprised by this. That's what happens when you schedule a local team. SMU and TCU should try this, hint, hint.

I think it's been mentioned before...but a UNT-SMU-UTA-TCU tourney would be pretty cool. I think except for SMU which has been down the last few years, that could be a anyone-can-win tourney with some entertaining basketball to be played if the UNT-UTA series has been any indication of the intensity that might be involved. Could also be a nice chance to showcase the college programs to local high school stars that might be considering staying close to home. Rotate the tournament site once UTA gets the new arena. Could be fun.