H-towngreen

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Riley score both of those last touchdowns? I missed the 4th quarter =(

(from the Dallas Morning News high school blog:

It wasn't quite Plano East-Tyler John Tyler of '94, but the North recovered two onside kicks and scored three times in the final three minutes to win a wild THSCA all-star game, 16-15.

Riley Dodge connected with former Highland Park receiver Seth Gardner to get the North on the board. Then, after a recovered onside kick, Braden Smith threw to former Lubbock Estacado receiver Jeremy Watson. The two-point conversion failed, leaving the score 15-13 South, but then the North recovered a second onside kick.

Former Argyle kicker Ben Parks nailed a 41-yard field goal to put the North up, 16-15. Parks also made the saving tackle on D.J. Monroe's long kickoff return that followed. The South's attempt at a 45-yard field goal in the final seconds was blocked.

The North's winning field goal was set up by a pass from Dodge to Gardner that got the team in field-goal range. A nice final memory for Gardner, who will play baseball at Arkansas.

Edited by SUMG

Wasn't Ben Parks on our recruiting radar screen at one time?

Yeah. Ben's dad is a nice guy...owns a pizza place here in Argyle. Our coaches talked to Ben, but I don't think we ever offered him. He originally committed to Wyoming....before taking a late offer from Baylor.

SUMG, although I was 12 at the time I still remember that Plano East game. I still feel so bad for those kids.

Darien Williams was extremely impressive tonight. This kid looks like the real deal, just not much was known since he is coming from 3A and played QB this past year. Same goes for Royce Hill, he did get beat on the deep TD pass, but he was in the right position. Just a good throw and catch, not much else he could have done.

Edited by H-towngreen

best 2 minutes of a football game i think i have ever seen.....touchdown...onside recovered....touchdown with missed 2pt conv...another onside recovered....41 yard fg made....then let up a 60 yard kick return but block the FG to win....absolutly amazing!

I agree.... that has to be the most incredible ending to a game I have ever seen!

(from the Dallas Morning News high school blog:

The North's winning field goal was set up by a pass from Dodge to Gardner that got the team in field-goal range. A nice final memory for Gardner, who will play baseball at Arkansas.

Fox Sports needs to prep their sideline reporter a little better, when he interviewed Seth Gardner after the TD catch............he made mention of Petrino looking forward to him playing football at UA, wrong...........he's playing baseball. Staying with the football connection, he said something along the line of Seth getting a lot of football offers, even though he was going to play baseball................and to that Seth replied, no he hadn't.

If your going to have highlights in your hair AND report on football, you should be a good looking female.

What a fantastic game. The North Texas players were all over and throughout this game tonight and accounting for something like 3 of the 7 turnovers?, which shows the quality of athletes our staff has assembled. And congrats to Seth Parks getting the game winner. He didn't have the best of games in the Oil Bowl but came back in this one and got the win on a clutch kick.

The Rodge TD went for about 47 yards in the air. He looked very accurate when he wasn't running for his life.

Did anyone count how many times the snap rolled back to the North QB in the 4th quarter? Seemed like every other time?

Great entertaining game.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Fox Sports needs to prep their sideline reporter a little better, when he interviewed Seth Gardner after the TD catch............he made mention of Petrino looking forward to him playing football at UA, wrong...........he's playing baseball. Staying with the football connection, he said something along the line of Seth getting a lot of football offers, even though he was going to play baseball................and to that Seth replied, no he hadn't.

If your going to have highlights in your hair AND report on football, you should be a good looking female.

I thought she was hot.

A very exciting game, Dodge came through in the end when it counted most. I thought Dodge although probably rusty ran well and had plenty of arm strength. In general, the North offensive line was manhandled most of the game and both North QB's were getting roughed up. Hill and Williams both looked good and thought Hill looked much larger than what NT has listed. I would have liked to seen Brigman on offense, but he played well in the defensive backfield. Fortenberry didn't start but played, couldn't tell much about his performance but he did look big.

Got to love all the attention the Dodge's got at the game.

Expect Riley to have a huge game. He will make a ton of plays with his scrambling ability and lack of quality secondary for the South.

I expect him to be the poster child for the game as he was interviewed last night on live TV at the Basketball all star game. Good exposure for UNT football and Todd Dodge.

A secondary with D.J. Monroe cannot be considered a non-quality one. Not only was he very impressive on defence he was the most valuable offensive player of the game. He will see alot of playing time for the longhorns this year.

........ the North offensive line was manhandled most of the game and both North QB's were getting roughed up.

:D What a great strategy by the North. Let the South’s D-line run wild for the first 45 minutes, and then in the last 2 to 3 minutes of the game you have them exhausted and right where you want them :D

Hey... it's the old Rope-a-dope! Works everytime! ;)