Unt Terminates Radisson Lease

marc_moffitt

Potentially huge development?

Yeah, I didn't believe when RV said the termination had nothing to do with the stadium. The BOR calls a special meeting to terminate a revenue generating lease. Dr B says its to develop athletic facilities, and it's a stone's throw from the location of the new stadium.

Believe it, folks. A big announcement is coming soon.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently stayed in the Radisson, on the fourth floor I think, overlooking the stadium. I was shocked at what a terrific view of the stadium/playing field there was from up there. It would have been a terrific place to watch the game while listening to KNTU...honestly, you could see everything. I wondered if folks had ever rented rooms just for that purpose. Fouts looks pretty good from that vantage point, I'll tell you.

I actually watched with binoculars from that hotel parking lot last year after being locked out of a pre-season scrimmage. How desperate was that for football? You could see very well from there, great place for spies. Humm, didn't I see some guys with OU shirts there also? What was that game score again?

Seriously, I think NT is realizing the value of that corner at I-35 and NT Blvd. Someone posted earlier they thought NT would soon have that Sack-n-Save space also nearby. Perhaps the Radisson will become a University-run hotel or dorm? I can't see them tearing that building down, it is too nice, and too high up on that hill to connect to any stadium we may someday have down by the AC. At least Dr. B mentioned future athletic facilities (like someone has a plan somewhere?). :)

Edited by NT80

That is the way that LSU did it. I don't know that you are allowed to do that anymore. interesting idea although friends who went to LSU said it did not make for good dorms or a great athletic facility.

Yes years ago, funding was denied for a new staduim, so they incorporated dorms and recieved the funding. Dorm are now empty, but it got the job done. Truly amazing to watch a game from that stadium.

You weren't in the Radisson, that was Section E row 40! It only SEEMED like you were across the highway

Love the comedy!!! :clapping: Some one has to know something come on out with it people!!! ty sports I'm looking at you.

Edited by filmerj

Extended Article

From the DRC.

UNT has long-term plans to build a football stadium just north of the existing hotel.

Would that not put the new stadium right in the middle of Interstate 35? Or are they saying a long time ago a Stadium was built to the north of the Hotels current location.

Radisson

Rayzor Ranch has plans to build a 12 story Marriott full service hotel and convention center in Denton...

But insider word has it that the entire Rayzor Ranch project lost financing because of the subprime mortgage issue and the entire project is in the tank...

That also included the new Walmart and Sam's Club....

How can a city of 120,000 only have one Walmart in town....

Rayzor Ranch has plans to build a 12 story Marriott full service hotel and convention center in Denton...

But insider word has it that the entire Rayzor Ranch project lost financing because of the subprime mortgage issue and the entire project is in the tank...

That also included the new Walmart and Sam's Club....

How can a city of 120,000 only have one Walmart in town....

Nope here it is no capital. http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...r.5b4235a6.html

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

I know that it isn't a Raddison or Hilton but there is a VERY nice new Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites behind Carinos off of I-35. Meeting facilities, fitness center and even an indoor pool and hot tub.

very odd statement from RV indeed... :huh:

Vito just corrected the statement and said the "if" was not part of RV's statement and placed in error (think he got a call from RV??)......

March 28, 2008

Correcting a mistake

At the Denton Record-Chronicle -- or any other newspaper for that matter -- reporters strive to get the story straight and quotes correct. Unfortunately, today we got one wrong. Athletic director Rick Villarreal gave me a quote on the future of the property that the Radison sits on for the paper. I read it to another reporter over the phone while I was at football practice and it was put into a story written by still another reporter, Randena Hulstrand.

Maybe you saw it in the paper today:

“We all know that the proposed stadium has a footprint on the piece of land,” said UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal. “It does not affect what we are doing, but I don’t know what the university has planned for that piece of property. If the president is supportive of what we do, she will keep our development in mind.”

The typo is obvious. There is no "if" when it comes to whether Gretchen Bataille supports what the athletic department is doing. This is a woman who comes to games clad in green, cheers for the Mean Green and talks about how important athletics is to the future of the university. She is a big reason why UNT is as far along as it is in its efforts to build a new football stadium.

The typo probably went unnoticed by most people, but there were a few people who saw it.

We regret the mistake at the Denton Record-Chronicle and apologize to Rick and Gretchen.

For the record, we would like to strike that misplaced "if" from the record.

Posted by Brett Vito at 10:21 AM

One only has to go into the current Walmart once to really wonder how this town can only have one. You would think walmart could figure out how to build another one in town, but as long as there is only one, I will continue to not buy from them.

Wal-Mart building additional stores isn't the problem. The problem in a few cases is some citizens not wanting a Wal-Mart "in their back yard" and taking municipalities, Wal-Mart, etc. in to court to fight the retailer building a store.

I don't know what Denton's case is. It could very well be that Wal-Mart hadn't identified a suitable location to build a 200,000 sq ft store.

Wal-Mart building additional stores isn't the problem. The problem in a few cases is some citizens not wanting a Wal-Mart "in their back yard" and taking municipalities, Wal-Mart, etc. in to court to fight the retailer building a store.

I don't know what Denton's case is. It could very well be that Wal-Mart hadn't identified a suitable location to build a 200,000 sq ft store.

Northeast corner of I35 and & 380 construction starts in June

Guest GrayEagleOne

According to the UNT Master Plan, the land from the Radisson northwestward to Bonnie Brae is to be for multi-functional use. Reading between the lines that tells me that nothing has been finalized.

One scenario that I heard about that seemed plausible was that the Radisson would be run by the university (School of Merchandising and Hospitality Management in particular) as a training facility for hands-on experience.

Not too far from the hotel will be a pedestrian bridge connecting the parking lot that will cover roughly the area that Fouts and the Green and Yellow lots occupy now. There will also be a parking garage across from the Coliseum (Orange lot and part of tailgating area).

The area from the bridge to Bonnie Brae may very well be z commercial strip mall. Those would actually produce ongoing revenue for the University.

Everything is to be tastefully done to blend with the new stadium and Mean Green Village.

Yes, someone misspoke. The new stadium will be southwest of the Radisson.

One scenario that I heard about that seemed plausible was that the Radisson would be run by the university (School of Merchandising and Hospitality Management in particular) as a training facility for hands-on experience.

That does makes a lot of since when I first thought about the school running the hotel it really didn't make much since but it really could increase the prestige of the Hospitality programs.

The Radisson is going to be leveled and a new hotel will be built to tie the Athletic Complex, the multi-use stadium, and this new 4 star quality hotel together. Demolition and re-construction is said to begin fairly soon. Also announced in around 3 months will be the decision that is the result of 3-4 large firms in battle for marketing opportunities with this state of the art complex. This complex will be visable to more than enough traffic to make a multi-million dollar deal worth it for both the university and this company. The marketing dollars will make up the difference of the $55M tht we see budgeted in the capital fund campain. Cool stuff. The University may be on the verge of "fixing the problem", or some of it. By the way, if you have not already figured it out, the lease termination with Radisson has everything to do with the new stadium. And, none if this information is really that hot off the press. Many reading this board may have already known this. I just thought it was interesting.