Unt Terminates Radisson Lease

marc_moffitt

The Radisson is going to be leveled and a new hotel will be built to tie the Athletic Complex, the multi-use stadium, and this new 4 star quality hotel together. Demolition and re-construction is said to begin fairly soon. Also announced in around 3 months will be the decision that is the result of 3-4 large firms in battle for marketing opportunities with this state of the art complex. This complex will be visable to more than enough traffic to make a multi-million dollar deal worth it for both the university and this company. The marketing dollars will make up the difference of the $55M tht we see budgeted in the capital fund campain. Cool stuff. The University may be on the verge of "fixing the problem", or some of it. By the way, if you have not already figured it out, the lease termination with Radisson has everything to do with the new stadium. And, none if this information is really that hot off the press. Many reading this board may have already known this. I just thought it was interesting.

What is the source of this information?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the UNT Master Plan, the land from the Radisson northwestward to Bonnie Brae is to be for multi-functional use. Reading between the lines that tells me that nothing has been finalized.

One scenario that I heard about that seemed plausible was that the Radisson would be run by the university (School of Merchandising and Hospitality Management in particular) as a training facility for hands-on experience.

Not too far from the hotel will be a pedestrian bridge connecting the parking lot that will cover roughly the area that Fouts and the Green and Yellow lots occupy now. There will also be a parking garage across from the Coliseum (Orange lot and part of tailgating area).

The area from the bridge to Bonnie Brae may very well be z commercial strip mall. Those would actually produce ongoing revenue for the University.

Everything is to be tastefully done to blend with the new stadium and Mean Green Village.

Yes, someone misspoke. The new stadium will be southwest of the Radisson.

yes, i believe your right....the goal is to getm all parking out of the middle of campus....parking garages would help solve that!

What is the source of this information?

Just keeping my ear to the ground! Folks are funny about putting to much official word out until the real word comes out because of the obvious loss of negotiation

power with the deal. What I have posted is supposed to be common knowledge. Is it not?

If a new hotel is in the works will UNT own it? How does that figure into the state money for non educational purposes? Will Paris Hilton fund the project? Maybe it will be a Hilton and the Ex Gov. from New York will run it.

You got it! I can believe someone figured it out so quickly. :D Actually, I 'm not certain about the ownership. I'm assume it will be UNT owned and leased to this hotel developer, much like the Radisson agreement.

The Radisson is going to be leveled and a new hotel will be built to tie the Athletic Complex, the multi-use stadium, and this new 4 star quality hotel together. Demolition and re-construction is said to begin fairly soon. Also announced in around 3 months will be the decision that is the result of 3-4 large firms in battle for marketing opportunities with this state of the art complex. This complex will be visable to more than enough traffic to make a multi-million dollar deal worth it for both the university and this company. The marketing dollars will make up the difference of the $55M tht we see budgeted in the capital fund campain. Cool stuff. The University may be on the verge of "fixing the problem", or some of it. By the way, if you have not already figured it out, the lease termination with Radisson has everything to do with the new stadium. And, none if this information is really that hot off the press. Many reading this board may have already known this. I just thought it was interesting.

Truly exciting stuff... I hope all of this comes to pass.... and soon!

Just keeping my ear to the ground! Folks are funny about putting to much official word out until the real word comes out because of the obvious loss of negotiation

power with the deal. What I have posted is supposed to be common knowledge. Is it not?

not. maybe after the quartery meeting if we ever have one againn. when do contracts get signed to make all this fluff officiall so the common fan can hear abot it/?

Edited by LoveMG

Multi-use Stadium?? No, Fouts is multi-use, we want the new stadium to be single use... Football only!

Why would anyone want to link a 4-star hotel to an outdoor football stadium, dorm, practice fields, tennis courts, and a softball stadium?

Because with a decent football stadium you can bring in decent football teams...their team, band, fans, parents, etc. Just a guess though.

Decent opponent teams wouldn't stay that close to the playing site and other school's fans before a game.

I do agree Denton needs a premier hotel and that would make a great location for game visitors and UNT. I believe the new development at hwy 380 is to have a hotel.

Edited by NT80

Multi-use Stadium?? No, Fouts is multi-use, we want the new stadium to be single use... Football only!

Why would anyone want to link a 4-star hotel to an outdoor football stadium, dorm, practice fields, tennis courts, and a softball stadium?

To me, multi-use can mean the same thing as how Texas Stadium is used. Texas stadium was built for football, but it's been used for many more things. Outdoor concerts would be the first thing that comes to mind.

That does makes a lot of since when I first thought about the school running the hotel it really didn't make much since but it really could increase the prestige of the Hospitality programs.

As a grad of that program I have been asking why we haven't taken over that hotel for years, all of the premier Hotel Management schools in the country have on campus student run hotels for educational purposes and the degree from that hotel is greatly respected because of that hand's on experience. I see no reason why the football stadium and the Hospitality Management school run hotel can't work together seemlessly. To me it only makes sense and it will just increase the prominence of school in football and hospitality management, win win situation!

Guest 97and03

Of all the speculators, you seem to have the best info. There has been a lot of movement on the stadium recently and things are moving forward. The hotel will be level and a new structure will be built. The way it was described to me was not specifically a hotel, but I didn't have time to get into too many specifics. The word "tower" was used though. There was also mention of concerts and I am pretty sure that it was reference to the stadium.

For those of you nay-sayers, now might be the time to get on the stadium bandwagon!

(Multi-use may also mean it has classroom space, by the way. That was not mention, just speculation on my part.)

Of all the speculators, you seem to have the best info. There has been a lot of movement on the stadium recently and things are moving forward. The hotel will be level and a new structure will be built. The way it was described to me was not specifically a hotel, but I didn't have time to get into too many specifics. The word "tower" was used though. There was also mention of concerts and I am pretty sure that it was reference to the stadium.

For those of you nay-sayers, now might be the time to get on the stadium bandwagon!

(Multi-use may also mean it has classroom space, by the way. That was not mention, just speculation on my part.)

Who described this to you? Not trying to be a naysayer, as I have remained cautiously optimistic, but "facts" without substantiation have proven to lead to dissapointment in the past.

Guest 97and03

Who described this to you? Not trying to be a naysayer, as I have remained cautiously optimistic, but "facts" without substantiation have proven to lead to dissapointment in the past.

Conversation with RV at the scrimage.

Not wishing to add to this wild speculation but I think it is interesting. None of you guys probably remember but Helwig at one time talked about a partnership with a hotel to build a stadium. The hotel was going to be in one end and the field built around it. It never went anywhere but I was involved in the early explorations. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Craigs idea was the one that RV used.

Here is the official announcement from the Prez!!!

>>>>

March 31, 2008

To: The UNT community

Today, the university terminated the land-lease agreement for the Radisson Hotel and assumed control of the property, including the hotel building. While the hotel will no longer operate under the Radisson brand, the hotel will continue to operate for the immediate future under another hotel operator selected by the university. During this transition time, UNT will be working with the hotel operator on a plan to address room and event reservations and the overall impact of this change on the hotel's staff members.

UNT had been in discussions with the former hotel operators, Denton Hotel Associates, for some time about the future of the hotel, and the hotel was marketed for sale in 2007.

The hotel's location at the apex of I-35 E and I-35 W makes it a signature piece of property and a visual gateway to the university. Assuming control of the property, which the university has owned since1948, will ensure that its future use is complementary to UNT's plans and that it will continue to be viewed as an asset to the city of Denton. Having a full-service quality hotel in proximity to UNT is important to a vibrant campus life, especially when it comes to athletic, academic and cultural events; graduations; and the employment of our students.

UNT will remain mindful of the impact that development has on the surrounding neighborhoods, and we will ensure that our neighbors are kept appropriately informed as our planning unfolds.

This is an exciting opportunity for the university, and I look forward to giving you periodic updates through InHouse, our faculty-staff e-newsletter and web site.

With green pride,

Gretchen M. Bataille

President