Unt Terminates Radisson Lease

marc_moffitt

UNT terminates deal with Radisson Hotel 11:34 AM CDT

11:36 AM CDT on Thursday, March 27, 2008

By Randena Hulstrand / Staff Writer

The University of North Texas Board of Regents voted unanimously today via a teleconference meeting to terminate a lease agreement with the Radisson Hotel located at 2211 Interstate 35E.

“The termination of the lease is effectively the purchase of the property,” said Alan Stucky, assistant general counsel for UNT.

While the university owns the property, Denton Hotel Associates has been leasing and running the Radisson since 1998.

Seven of the nine regents voted on the action, in the specially called meeting..

UNT President Gretchen Bataille would not give specific details of the university’s plans for the property, but said “it will be complimentary to our other plans to develop the athletic facilities and the Murchison [Performing Arts Center],” Terminating the lease gives the university more control to ensure the usage is consistent with their long-term plans, she said.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish Glad to be Green or someone in the know could come on here and let us in on what is happening. I am trying to stay positive and hope for the best but I've been doing that for quite a few years now and its easy to get discouraged. The more colleges stadiums I travel to and watch games, the more I detest Fouts. I would give anything to watch home NT games with the slope and sightlines of Amon Carter Stadium.

Effective when ? does this mean that the Radison is going away ? To be leased by another leasor/hotelier ? Torn down ? Perhaps a hotel with a view of the new PlummGreen Stadium ? The elimination of the Radison or whatever the hotel is called would take away the only "top drawer" hotel in the city.

We need some insight from Glad to be Green.

Go Tops

Go Sun Belt

GO MEAN GREEN

I recently stayed in the Radisson, on the fourth floor I think, overlooking the stadium. I was shocked at what a terrific view of the stadium/playing field there was from up there. It would have been a terrific place to watch the game while listening to KNTU...honestly, you could see everything. I wondered if folks had ever rented rooms just for that purpose. Fouts looks pretty good from that vantage point, I'll tell you.

Isn't there some kind of loophole that allows for state funding of a football stadium if a dormitory is attached to it? I think the dorm gives the construction an "educational purpose".

If so, bring on Radisson Hall!

That is the way that LSU did it. I don't know that you are allowed to do that anymore. interesting idea although friends who went to LSU said it did not make for good dorms or a great athletic facility.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the mention of the Murchison ... Anyone else? What does that have to do with the Radisson lease?

It is a little hard to read things into some of the things said, and I have to agree, the mention of Murchinson is a little concerning. I still think we are years away from a stadium, but who knows, maybe they have kept this thing pretty quiet.

Maybe someone can clarify for me what the "terminatting" the lease means - does this mean that the Radisson Hotel has to stop doing business with a certain period? Wasn't the hotel just rennovated a few years ago?

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

It is a little hard to read things into some of the things said, and I have to agree, the mention of Murchinson is a little concerning. I still think we are years away from a stadium, but who knows, maybe they have kept this thing pretty quiet.

They are going to turn the Murchinson into our new indoor practice facility. Perfect size and wouldn't need too many modifications.

I recently stayed in the Radisson, on the fourth floor I think, overlooking the stadium. I was shocked at what a terrific view of the stadium/playing field there was from up there. It would have been a terrific place to watch the game while listening to KNTU...honestly, you could see everything. I wondered if folks had ever rented rooms just for that purpose. Fouts looks pretty good from that vantage point, I'll tell you.

You weren't in the Radisson, that was Section E row 40! It only SEEMED like you were across the highway

That view is comparable, although probably a little better, than 50 yard line seats IN the stadium.

3,2,1...until FFR reposts his diagram of Fouts front row distance to the field. :lol:

Maybe someone can clarify for me what the "terminatting" the lease means - does this mean that the Radisson Hotel has to stop doing business with a certain period? Wasn't the hotel just rennovated a few years ago?

I know everyone keeps crying "but where's the money?" Has anyone considered that maybe, just maybe, we dont know where ALL the funds are coming from? Or that UNT hasnt made financing plans public? RELAX people. If I'm a betting man, I'd say something is comin soon.

Need I remind you, aside from numerous "hints" from RV, to date we now have...

a. HKS under a $300,000 contract.

b. Riley Dodge leaked that "a stadium should be completed by his sophmore year". (Im no expert, but I'd say he's pretty close to a source, dont ya think?)

c. Now, the Radison lease terminated. Anyone wanna take a gander what that lease costs per year to UNT? You dont shut down that kinda money and Real Estate for the Helluvit. It would only make sense to replace that type of investment with something equal or bigger.

Trying to stay positive....

Parking for the new stadium and for the Music center???

Or maybe parking and some sort of outdoor concert venue built into the hill, that would be pretty sweet.

Maybe they have plans for expanding into part of Fouts, so when they finally level that concrete monstrosity that will play in to the Performing Arts plans.