Football Stadium

greendog

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A source has told me that the firm has been selected to build the stadium, and should be announced soon.

We're one step closer to getting a stadium at least.

Isn't this first selection just for the firm that will design the stadium to specs and give us what options could be available? Then construction bids will be taken for our final wish-list stadium to see what the build-price is, what we need to trim out, and a construction firm retained after that phase? Maybe I have the process mixed up, anyone in construction know the sequence?

BTW, I am still available to be selected for the volunteer "this is what I want" stadium fan design team. :)

Edited by NT80

Isn't this first selection just for the firm that will design the stadium to specs and give us what options could be available? Then construction bids will be taken for our final wish-list stadium to see what the build-price is, what we need to trim out, and a construction firm retained after that phase? Maybe I have the process mixed up, anyone in construction know the sequence?

BTW, I am still available to be selected for the volunteer "this is what I want" stadium fan design team. :)

You dont have it mixed up, youre pretty close. The process is:

1. Select an architect, negotiate a DESIGN contract, NOT a construction contract. (According to the timeline THIS was to be completed this week)

2. Design Development = Architect meets with UNT to gather ideas, info. Architect produces schmatic ideas, concepts, models, identifies and solves problems. (could be 8-10 weeks)

3. Construction Drawings ("Blueprints") are produced from the Architect, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Engineer. These drawings will be used for both to submit to Denton for permit and for general contractors to bid from. (Constrcution Drawing phase could be 3-5 months for a project this size)

4. Drawings are submitted to Denton for permit, which will probably take several weeks. Possibly at the same time, General Contractors will be bidding on those same drawings. (roughly 4 weeks)

5. General Contractor is selected/awarded the project - - construction contract is finalized - 2 weeks.

6. Construction begins.....

You dont have it mixed up, youre pretty close. The process is:

1. Select an architect, negotiate a DESIGN contract, NOT a construction contract. (According to the timeline THIS was to be completed this week)

2. Design Development = Architect meets with UNT to gather ideas, info. Architect produces schmatic ideas, concepts, models, identifies and solves problems. (could be 8-10 weeks)

3. Construction Drawings ("Blueprints") are produced from the Architect, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Engineer. These drawings will be used for both to submit to Denton for permit and for general contractors to bid from. (Constrcution Drawing phase could be 3-5 months for a project this size)

4. Drawings are submitted to Denton for permit, which will probably take several weeks. Possibly at the same time, General Contractors will be bidding on those same drawings. (roughly 4 weeks)

5. General Contractor is selected/awarded the project - - construction contract is finalized - 2 weeks.

6. Construction begins.....

Thanks for outlining the process.

How is the overall cost predicted or is it not known for sure until construction bids come in? I mean does UNT go in saying what can we get for $xx million? Or does the architect just ask what UNT wants, then he gives ideas and draws it based on estimates, then both see what the bids are?

A 35-40,000 seat stadium would have to have a lot of variables that could affect cost. % of chairbacks vs. bench seating, size of logo at midfield, those type decisions. Whatever the design, I hope for a grass-sloped endzone with few seats, more on the sidelines! :)

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

to cut the guy some slack, in printers terms M is commonly used to reference thousands...a gift to us from the Romans.

Oh, because in business terms, M is usually used to reference millions. K is used to reference thousands. But the Roman numeral for 1,000 is M without question.

Parking's going to be a nightmare!

Keith

I can't wait to see the Denai residents protest a stadium that can hold 55M.

Thanks for outlining the process.

How is the overall cost predicted or is it not known for sure until construction bids come in? I mean does UNT go in saying what can we get for $xx million? Or does the architect just ask what UNT wants, then he gives ideas and draws it based on estimates, then both see what the bids are?

A 35-40,000 seat stadium would have to have a lot of variables that could affect cost. % of chairbacks vs. bench seating, size of logo at midfield, those type decisions. Whatever the design, I hope for a grass-sloped endzone with few seats, more on the sidelines! :)

The athletic department probably showed their model / concept to some design firms and asked for an engineering estimate; which would give them an idea of roughly how it would cost (plus/minus 10%). That way they would know about how much cash to go raise. Once the construction drawings are complete, they will have constructions firms quote building the stadium that is depicted in the construction drawings. That will be the cost.

I can't wait to see the Denai residents protest a stadium that can hold 55M.

The athletic department probably showed their model / concept to some design firms and asked for an engineering estimate; which would give them an idea of roughly how it would cost (plus/minus 10%). That way they would know about how much cash to go raise. Once the construction drawings are complete, they will have constructions firms quote building the stadium that is depicted in the construction drawings. That will be the cost.

This is exactly what was described to me by the Development office. We are in the planning phase of fund raising and will soon move in to the quite phase. We have to know what the price tag is before we know how much money to pickup I was told we have a little over $5M already in hand (in the Development department) for the stadium. I believe there is more money to be added to the total that comes from the state through the budget. We have some money but we also have a ways to go.

We are in the planning phase of fund raising and will soon move in to the quite phase.

Haven't we been in the quite phase for something like the past 6-7 years? :blink: At this rate I'll be 85 years old before the first shovel of dirt is turned for the new stadium. Please, just be sure the stadium has elevators.