Tidbits From Todd's Radio Show

SUMG

1) Robert Peachey is back practicing. This week, he will go into the game as the backup to both Venegas and Menard.

2) J-Mo practiced all last week. So, if he practices this week....he may get into the game Saturday.

3) Georgie asked TD about blitzing, and Todd had a great quote: "Every time you blitz....some team's fight song is about to be played."

4) What job would TD likely have if he wasn't a coach?: Meteorologist. He said that he's fascinated by weather, and that his favorite show is "Storm Stories" on the Weather Channel.

Georgie asked him if he's ever wanted to chase a tornado, and Todd said "yes." (Note within a post: A tornado doesn't have a chance against The Great TD.)

5) Todd pointed out that his first game ever at UT, was against a Howard Schnellenberger Miami team.

6) I tipped my Hooter's waitress about 30%, and felt that I should have done more.

Edited by SUMG

1) Robert Peachey is back practicing. This week, he will go into the game as the backup to both Venegas and Menard.

2) J-Mo practiced all last week. So, if he practices this week....he may get into the game Saturday.

3) Georgie asked TD about blitzing, and Todd had a great quote: "Every time you blitz....some team's fight song is about to be played."

4) What job would TD likely have if he wasn't a coach?: Meteorologist. He said that he's fascinated by weather, and that his favorite show is "Storm Stories" on the Weather Channel.

Georgie asked him if he's ever wanted to chase a tornado, and Todd said "yes." (Note within a post: A tornado doesn't have a chance against The Great TD.)

5) Todd pointed out that his first game ever at UT, was against a Howard Schnellenberger Miami team.

6) I tipped my Hooter's waitress about 30%, and felt that I should have done more.

John - those of us that are busy on monday nights, thank you for this post. Good stuff.

The crowd was much better last evening than the week before, so the word must be getting out. We even had Exes from dallas show up for the event...an Exes Board member no less...and several of the current Denton Exes Chapter Board members were in attendance. It is great to see the turnout. Rick V, Hank D. and Todd D certainly notice the support...BUT...we need to fill the place! Great "stuff" from Coach Dodge and it was a bit "fun" to see Rick V.'s face when George asked him about the new stadium. I think that question came out of the blue and it was fun to listen to the answer...something like...yes, we will have a new stadium...it is part of the vision for facilities at UNT...no, I am not ready to announce anything as yet.

I am sure there is lots of work going on behind the scenes and lots of "private" fundraising going on for the new stadium...they probably want a sizeable chunk of it in hand before they announce too many specifics or start a new campaign.

By the way...I met two guys from Arkansas who were at the show last evening...they were in Denton, heard about the show and came over...Big U of Ark. supporters...they stated how impressed they were with T Dodge and how they knew of his reputation for success and how they thought it was nothing but UP for UNT under Coach Dodge. Man, the word is out...the Green is Flyin' once again...get on the wagon...let's fill Fouts Field for every home game!!!!!

Go Mean Green! Great evening at Hooters...see you next Monday evening at 6:30PM. :lol:

4) What job would TD likely have if he wasn't a coach?: Meteorologist. He said that he's fascinated by weather, and that his favorite show is "Storm Stories" on the Weather Channel.Georgie asked him if he's ever wanted to chase a tornado, and Todd said "yes." (Note within a post: A tornado doesn't have a chance against The Great TD.)

To me, the funny part is how surprised Georgie was at the answer. He kept saying "wow, that's surprising" and "wow, that's interesting", several minutes after he asked the question.

If Venegas doesn't keep his butt still until the ball is snapped, Peachey won't be a backup for long.

I'll stick up for Adam on one of those false start penalties:

At the SMU game.....he moved on one of the 3rd down plays, when the bastards at SMU cranked up the volume on their thunderous horse noise. To me, that was total bush league crap on their part. If actual crowd noise causes a false start....that's one thing. To pipe in sound and cause it......stinks.

But, hey that's why they're SMU.......souless turds that they are. (okay, I exaggerate....a little).

I'll stick up for Adam on one of those false start penalties:

At the SMU game.....he moved on one of the 3rd down plays, when the bastards at SMU cranked up the volume on their thunderous horse noise. To me, that was total bush league crap on their part. If actual crowd noise causes a false start....that's one thing. To pipe in sound and cause it......stinks.

But, hey that's why they're SMU.......souless turds that they are. (okay, I exaggerate....a little).

That 'It's Time For Pony Thunder' canned noise should have drawn a sideline warning to the home team the first time it was played and an unsportsmanlike conduct flag every subsequent time.

NCAA rules cleary state that canned noise must stop once the team breaks the huddle. There is no opportunity for canned noise to be played when players are approaching the line of scrimage in the no-huddle offense.

Boise State tried the same thing with their third down cheers against Wyoming this past week and were warned to cease or they would be penalized every time.

I am kind of surprised the CUSA refs weren't familiar with the rule.

That 'It's Time For Pony Thunder' canned noise should have drawn a sideline warning to the home team the first time it was played and an unsportsmanlike conduct flag every subsequent time.

NCAA rules cleary state that canned noise must stop once the team breaks the huddle. There is no opportunity for canned noise to be played when players are approaching the line of scrimage in the no-huddle offense.

Boise State tried the same thing with their third down cheers against Wyoming this past week and were warned to cease or they would be penalized every time.

I am kind of surprised the CUSA refs weren't familiar with the rule.

Those were Sun Belt refs.

Man, do I have some major problems with this quote. Blitzing is a fundamental and effective way into forcing you opponent into mistakes and puts pressure on the quaterback...two things we have been terrible at through two games.

Man, do I have some major problems with this quote. Blitzing is a fundamental and effective way into forcing you opponent into mistakes and puts pressure on the quaterback...two things we have been terrible at through two games.

Thought that too , then thought maybe TD didn't want to get into a discussion about the Defensive play calling , so he gave a funny answer.

More times than not , in the next years we are going to be playing teams with more talent than us. In order to give yourself a chance to WIN , you have to create turnovers. Best chance to create turnovers ?? BLITZING

That's common knowledge and I'm sure TD knows this , I think he didn't want to throw Mendoze under the bus by saying something like " We need to Blitz more"

Edited by NT03

Hey fellas....having been at the show, I didn't take Coach's comment to be an anti-blitzing statement. It was more along the lines of, when you blitz.....you better get to the guy or it might be a big play offensively.

I sure didn't come away thinking that Coach was saying that he didn't believe in blitzing.

While I agree with your statement, you completly missed what Dodge was trying to say.

He ment that when you blitz it is usually either a big play by the offense or the defense, either way somebody's fight song is about to play, he then went on to say that hopefully our will be playing more then their's.

He was not saying the blitz is a bad thing, just saying that defensivly you better get there, and offensivly it provides an opportunity to make something big

While I agree with your statement, you completly missed what Dodge was trying to say.

He ment that when you blitz it is usually either a big play by the offense or the defense, either way somebody's fight song is about to play, he then went on to say that hopefully our will be playing more then their's.

He was not saying the blitz is a bad thing, just saying that defensivly you better get there, and offensivly it provides an opportunity to make something big

Yeah...he was really saying it in a joking kind of tone with Jub-Jub. He said that offensively, you'd like to be good enough at getting the ball out of the QB's hands that you welcome the opposing team blitzing you...cause big plays can happen. Fight song plays.

Conversely, if the defense comes with the blitz and gets effective pressure on the QB, good things happen for the defense. Fight song plays.

To those that didn't hear the interivew, please don't take the quotes out of context. George and TD were joking around quite a bit last night. It was actually a pretty entertaining show.

Edited by Green Lantern

Doesn't the NT fight song play when we get a sack on D or cause a turnover? :D