Footballscoop says it is down to 3

Harry

I find it difficult to believe we actually had a shot to hire Jimbo or Jim.  I imagine those were choices recommended to us but I serious doubt we would have ponied up to not only pay their salary but also the salaries of the assistants they would've brought in.  While it would have been great to have one of the other two I don't loose any sleep over this. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

and while we're at it, lets put the Eagle decal on the helmets and scrap the "mean green" slogan. never have felt that a color can be intimidating and represent strength, courage and fighting spirit. an Eagle can however! our uniforms do need some improvement.

Hey! At least we got something right!

Man that kind of statement can get you banned on here. Just kidding but seriously there are like 200 different college teams that have Eagles as their logo. We are uniquely Mean Green and proud as hell of it. GMG!

...dammit, Harry!

------

But really, this just brings the depression to a new low.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Harbaugh was using us for interview experience. His salary demands were said to be in the $450k or more range, which at the time, was about 50% higher than what we paid Dodge. Harbaugh got hired by Stanford later that winter...he was never coming here.

Fisher could've been had, though. 

• Upvote 2

I was completely unaware we were also looking at Jimbo Fisher, as in the coach who just recently won a national championship. Excuse my french here, but what the fuck UNT? What. The. Fuck

This is reason alone to fire RV. It's bad enough that he tried to pass Dodge off as a good hire, but the other 2 finalist just show how inept he is at picking coaches. 

When will RV's 17 friends realize that he just can't get it done here?

• Upvote 1

Fisher could've been had, though. 

lee-corso.png

Are we sure he'd have come here?

Jimbo Fisher @ FSU:His contract initially guaranteed a base salary of $215,000 with incentives increasing the total package into the low $400,000 range.[ 

Todd Dodge @ NT:Because the contract begins Dec. 26 and runs through August 2012, Dodge actually will receive six years of base salary at $185,000 per year, with annual 5 percent increases starting in 2008. His base pay over five seasons averages $241,448. Dodge's $75,000 per year in guaranteed compensation includes a $30,000 radio stipend, $20,000 in end-of-season deferred money and $25,000 for North Texas maintaining its NCAA certification, Division I-A status and Sun Belt Conference membership. He'll also receive an annual $6,000 car allowance.

• Upvote 2

Whether or not the Jims were actual possibilities, it is funny to play "which one does not belong?" after the fact with the NC-title-winning coach, the program/NFL-rebuilder, and the guy who has the worst record in program history / now a mediocre HS coach. 

So I guess you're welcome Jim and Jimbo for your Super Bowl and NC appearances 

RV's not all bad, he made championships happen.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

One again another glaring example of how fundraising is the most important aspect of being a college AD.  Dodge was who we got because he had the most upside for what we could afford.  The Jim's were not coming here for under 200k and frankly that being all we could pay was laughable for a D-1 program.  

A day late and a dollar short... UNT Athletics. 

• Upvote 3

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

The year is 2023. Todd Dodge is retired from coaching. His son is the Southlake Carroll Head Coach.

Jim Harbaugh was just suspended for 3 games at Michigan for sign stealing.

Jimbo Fisher was fired from Texas A&M with a 76 million buyout.

I'm still posting nonsense on GMG and we have only 1 bowl win during this 17 year stretch. Depressing.....

Almost a life sentence 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I got here because I had an notification of thread necromancy. I re-read my post and agreed and laughed at it and was about to give it a like until I was prevented in so doing because it was my own. 

Somewhat relatedly, I watched some old video of my kids when they were younger and laughed when they said something cute. The cameraman, also me, laughed at the same thing. 

Either some things are universal and true always or I am immature. Or both, you know. 

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 11.39.47 AM.png

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

This regurgitated thread is downright depressing.  We passed on Jimbo Fisher for how much money?

About $200k more. He got $400k to be OC at FSU and Todd Dodge got around hald of that. Not only that, if you recall our coordinators only made $93k at that time. I’m not sure that would have been enough to pull the staff that Jimbo would’ve required to come here. Dodge was making $90k as head coach of Southlake Carroll. 

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

About $200k more. He got $400k to be OC at FSU and Todd Dodge got around hald of that. Not only that, if you recall our coordinators only made $93k at that time. I’m not sure that would have been enough to pull the staff that Jimbo would’ve required to come here. Dodge was making $90k as head coach of Southlake Carroll. 

Actually, wasn't Jimbo subsequently hired to be the head coach at UAB but the Alabama regents wouldn't approve the hire?