DMN Article

Mad Hatter

UNT program direction up for discussion

Dickey, Villarreal to meet in coming days to talk about disappointing season, future of team

07:16 AM CST on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

North Texas athletic Rick Villarreal and head coach Darrell Dickey will meet in the coming days to discuss what both described as a disappointing season and the direction of the program, Villarreal said Monday.

UNT came into the season off a fourth straight Sun Belt Conference title and was picked to win the league again in the preseason coaches' poll. The Mean Green failed to live up to expectations and finished 2-9 after dropping their last six games.

UNT lost five games in conference play by a total of 21 points, including a season-ending 31-24 loss to Arkansas State on Saturday.

"There are concerns I have about areas with the program that I want to discuss with Coach Dickey in the next week so that we can keep this football program at a level that allows us to be respected across the country," Villarreal said. "This season was a big disappointment to him, the players and the fans. I want to make sure we are on the same page as to the reasons why that happened and how we can avoid that happening again."

Geoff Anderson / For the DRC

Darrell Dickey has been head coach at North Texas since 1998. Dickey also expressed disappointment in the outcome of the season and indicated that that he would address concerns he had about the program in the coming weeks.

The majority of the Mean Green's coaching staff left Denton on Monday morning to recruit.

"Right now I am in the process of evaluating everything," Dickey said. "I think that we need to remember that this coaching staff was the same one that won four conference championships. They didn't become bad coaches overnight because we lost some close games. With that said, we have to evaluate all of our strengths and weaknesses. I have to evaluate myself and recruit players that we can count on."

UNT examines QB situation

UNT is considering pursuing a junior college quarterback to join a crowded race for the starting job in the 2006 season that could include Joey Byerly.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Meager started every game this season for the Mean Green and split time with freshman Matt Phillips, who came off the bench to rally UNT in several games.

"We will consider recruiting a junior college quarterback if we can find an older guy that fits our offense and we think can come in here and compete for the starting job," Dickey said. "We are still going to have our top two quarterbacks who will be sophomores next year. Recruiting a junior college quarterback is a possibility, but it isn't something we are obsessed with because we feel good about the progress our two guys made."

At this point last season, Byerly appeared as if he was on his way to being the Mean Green's starter in 2005.

The former West Orange Stark standout backed up Scott Hall as a redshirt freshman and was expected to compete with Meager for the starting job.

Byerly lost that opportunity when he was ruled academically ineligible during the summer.

The loss of Byerly forced UNT to enter the season without a quarterback who had taken a snap in a college game.

UNT finished last in the Sun Belt in passing offense with an average of129 yards a game. Meager led UNT with 941 yards passing on the season.

"We are looking at his situation," Dickey said of Byerly. "He was supposed to be getting his grades in order at another school so that he could get back into school at North Texas in the spring. At that point we would find out what his plan is to get his academics in order so that he can compete next year."

UNT to have extra time in recruiting

UNT's coaching staff will face a different set of circumstances during the next few weeks than it has in the previous four years when the Mean Green were preparing to play in the New Orleans Bowl.

The change will have an effect both on UNT's recruiting efforts and its preparation for next season. Playing in the New Orleans Bowl gave UNT's coaches several extra days of work with its younger players and an added draw in recruiting.

"From the practice standpoint it hurts," Dickey said of not playing in a bowl. "We got 12-15 extra practices in. We have taken time to work out some extra guys."

The lone benefit will be the extra time UNT's coaches have to focus on the Mean Green's recruiting efforts.

"In recruiting it evens out," Dickey said. "All of our coaches are out on the road now, but it's easier to go out and sell that you are going to a bowl game."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not realize that Byerly had gone elsewhere for the Fall, I was under the impression that his ineligibility was due to Credit Hours, but this seems like GPA troubles??  blink.gif

Does anyone else worry about Johnny Quinn declaring for the NFL draft if the QB situation does not improve before this spring ?

"Right now I am in the process of evaluating everything," Dickey said. "I think that we need to remember that this coaching staff was the same one that won four conference championships. They didn't become bad coaches overnight because we lost some close games. With that said, we have to evaluate all of our strengths and weaknesses. I have to evaluate myself and recruit players that we can count on."

This is NOT the same coaching staff that won 4 straight championships. There are key differences, namely Gary DeLoach. We feel his absence in our recruiting efforts and defensive philosophy.

IMHO UNT/DD/RF have the talent to win the SBC next year and at least one OOC game.

I think this year was DD's wake up call. Evidently, if he does not produce next year, and face it, UNT has DD for at least one more year......(sorry plumm)...he may be gone!!! My reading between the lines is purely speculation but when RV and DD agreed that an evaluation of the program "must" take place to me that means someone (or many) are/ is on the "hot seat."

Of course RV can not come out and tell the world that if "any" coach does not produce the next year they are fired. In some programs that is a given.

Speculation again but if DD does not win the SBC we may see a coaching change. UNT has the talent but I truely believe that everyone is in agreement that the talent was misused by the coaching staff. I think that may have been some of the problem and the other problem was that UNT had a young team and inexperienced Freshmen QBs. Why did not DD and the staff go after a JUCO QB?? Surely they must have know that there was a possibility that Byerly had a good chance of NOT making the grades!!! The coaching staff did not have a PLAN B?????? That is "below average in basic headwork" by the coaching staff.......... "F" for planning. By not getting an experienced JUCO QB, IMHO again, that cost UNT victories on the field!!!!!

We will all have to wait until next September to see what re-evaluations that DD accomplished. If we see the same offensive scheme we saw the last couple of three games of the season I think that will be a good indication that DD has accepted that he needs to open up the offense and not face 7 or 8 in the box to stop DD ball. Hopefully, our defense will stop the runs better.

Next year.

This is NOT the same coaching staff that won 4 straight championships.  There are key differences, namely Gary DeLoach.  We feel his absence in our recruiting efforts and defensive philosophy.

Another key difference is losing Eric Wofford to Arizona. The O-Line hasn't been the same since.

I have become very unpopular with my buddies on this whole subject of Dickey. Since I was the one leading the charge to get rid of him back in 2001 - you would think that I would be right back on board with the new group effort... but I just am not. Sure he has pissed me off in every single possible way over the years... by talking down to the fans, playing up shitty competition like they were freaking Notre Dame after we lost to them by 50+ points, and he cannot win a freaking OOC game to save his life... but firing him this year would be bad for the program. There is no other way to say it. Nebraska can get away with firing a 7-4 coach... but barely.... and that is only because of the money that they bring in... NT cannot afford to fire Dickey this year - politically or financially. We simply don't have the money or clout to pull it out. Should he be fired? Well - I will leave that up to the board to argue over. I see the points - Coming in last place in the Sun Belt (yep, we came in LAST PLACE in the Belt) would merit the firing of most coaches - but not if they had gone undefeated in the same league for four straight years leading up to it. It is too tricky. And Dickey IS North Texas - he gives us an identity. Hell, I can't imagine having anyone else as coach. I know that sounds wierd - -but I have grown to love my "love/hate" relationship with Dickey's coaching philosophies. I have accepted that he will not adapt/change - and I think I know why - he doesn't know how to coach any other way. So it either works or it doesn't.... It has worked for awhile and now it doesn't - You just have to wait until next year. If this happens again next year then Dickey will be gone, I have faith in that. So why sweat it? Just enjoy the bowl season, cheer on the ASU Indians in the Lafayette Bowl, and lay off the Mean Green Kool Aid until after SMU.

Come to think of it, I believe that Gak told me something about a basketball team that we have, maybe I will go see them a little bit this year. See, I told you Gak, the only thing that you needed to get people out to basketball game would be a losing football season. You watch, people will show up this year. They still need their fix.

We did go after a juco qb last year. Zac Taylor the starting qb at Nebraska. Apparently we had him in the bag till they came in at the last second.

We should go after a juco this year but only if they can come in the spring and learn the system. It does no good for them to come in the fall.

We have 5 qbs on the roster? Why? We can easily get rid of all except MP and DM.

As far as Byerly going somewhere else, I dont think it matters if its for GPA or hours. It is just easier to go to another school. Plus if ruled ineligible I dont know if he would still be on ship. Could just be a $$$$ issue.

It's good to hear that all of the coaches are out on the road already. With an extra month of recruiting, and the new facilities, this SHOULD be his best class. There is no reason why not. We need to see some beef on both sides of the ball, and like last years class, speed in the skill postions. Hey maybe even RF can get someone to come here!

We should go after a juco this year but only if they can come in the spring and learn the system.

Yeah this system is brutal to learn. Much like Mike Leach's system at TT, it takes at least three years of riding the bench and studying game film to determine the precise position in which to place the ball for the maximum hand off efficiency for the always suprising draw play.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Dickey came out of that meeting and held a news conference and thanked all the fans who followed the team through this 'Bataan Death March'? Dickey needs to learn some interpersonal skills....he cannot rely totally on his won-loss record to endear himself to the fan base---assuming that he cares about the fan base. Considering all the negative from the season, the home attendance was decent.

Yeah this system is brutal to learn. Much like Mike Leach's system at TT, it takes at least three years of riding the bench and studying game film to determine the precise position in which to place the ball for the maximum hand off efficiency for the always suprising draw play.

Good Stuff laugh.giflaugh.gif

"There are concerns I have about areas with the program that I want to discuss with Coach Dickey in the next week so that we can keep this football program at a level that allows us to be respected across the country," Villarreal said.

An excellent start! I do think we lost what little respect we gained from winning the SBC, and that was not as much as some would believe. National respect comes from beating non-SBC teams, which we haven't done for 8 years. dry.gif

but firing him this year would be bad for the program.  There is no other way to say it.  Nebraska can get away with firing a 7-4 coach... but barely.... and that is only because of the money that they bring in... NT cannot afford to fire Dickey this year - politically or financially.  We simply don't have the money or clout to pull it out.

Arkansas fired Jack Crowe after the first game of 1992, the game before that had been an Independence Bowl appearance that earned him an extension.

Word afterward was that coaches considered Arkansas radioactive at the time. Several coaches they expected to put their name in wouldn't touch the job and they settled for Danny Ford who had been run out at Clemson for NCAA problems that never quite could be tied to him but certainly could be tied to the guys working for him. I suppose they were doing all that behind his back. laugh.gif

When Nebraska fired Solich Nebraska was considered radioactive as well. It got so bad they were down to Houston Nutt who was coming off a 9-4, 9-5, 7-5, 6-6 streak. He turned it down to stay at Arkansas for less money and a shorter deal.

No matter the underlying problems that one might use to justify a change at UNT, in the coaching ranks all they see is four straight conference titles, four straight bowl appearances and pulling the trigger after one losing season. The reaction will be "What the hell do they want?" and "Do I want to go some place with a quick trigger?"

Go 5-6 next year and pull the trigger and a lot of the stink that would be there this year is gone and you get a better pool of applicants.

hmmm

Hatfield resigning at Rice??

His record is not much worse than DD, plus he has Texas recruiting ties and would be easier to recruit at UNT since Academic Standards are not tough at all, especially compared to Rice.  ph34r.gif

Give up dude. Not that I blame ya, I thought about it too, but it ain't happenin this year. Let's just all pray Dickey pulls something out of hsi @$$ next year and leads us to a bowl game and maybe some OOC wins, because that's all we can hope for at least until after next year.

Does anyone else worry about Johnny Quinn declaring for the NFL draft if the QB situation does not improve before this spring ?

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Dude...are you frickin' delusional or what????? Do you REALLY think JQ is good enough for the NFL? Do you think ANY of these players are?

Look at some of the good players we have had in the past. How many are in the NFL right now?

Love you optimism, though...

We did go after a juco qb last year. Zac Taylor the starting qb at Nebraska. Apparently we had him in the bag till they came in at the last second.

Oh...so you were close to this situation, huh? Big Bad Nebraska stealing one of our recruits. Man, those recruiting wars can be tough...

BULL BUTTER!!! Do you actually believe this to be the case? Got a bridge in Arizona for ya there guy... laugh.gif

Oh...so you were close to this situation, huh?  Big Bad Nebraska stealing one of our recruits.  Man, those recruiting wars can be tough...

BULL BUTTER!!!  Do you actually believe this to be the case?  Got a bridge in Arizona for ya there guy... laugh.gif

Zac Taylor almost signed here. He was our #1 target in the off season.