We Got A Commit

Just now, GMG_Dallas said:

It's his second. McNeese State for 2 seasons then Longwood now UNT. Do you hate him now?

I thought I saw it was just long wood for three years. I stand corrected. Just another dude floating around never happy. These kids are going to struggle bouncing around out there in real life. 10 jobs 15 wife’s 20 countries…. I mean I guess whatever. That’s normal… just move move move move because it’s all about you all the time. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I thought I saw it was just long wood for three years. I stand corrected. Just another dude floating around never happy. These kids are going to struggle bouncing around out there in real life. 10 jobs 15 wife’s 20 countries…. I mean I guess whatever. That’s normal… just move move move move because it’s all about you all the time. 

On the flip side my dad was mostly committed to unemployment but still bounced around in life... 3 wives, 3 countries. Anyways, I think your reasoning is, well, unreasonable but it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I hope Massie does well here and in the post-UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

On the flip side my dad was mostly committed to unemployment but still bounced around in life... 3 wives, 3 countries. Anyways, I think your reasoning is, well, unreasonable but it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I hope Massie does well here and in the post-UNT.

I would like they stay where they started. One transfer and make that about one of 3 things.

1. Family

2. Competitive step up

3. location 

you get one move. Make it count. Better yet stay where you are. Maybe NILs need to be kept in accounts and only guaranteed if you stay in your original location. Paid out at the end unless  you leave or go pro in which case that account is forfeited. There are many reasonable solutions. Instead it’s the Wild West. Anarchy…. It’s ridiculous . 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I would like they stay where they started. One transfer and make that about one of 3 things.

1. Family

2. Competitive step up

3. location 

you get one move. Make it count. Better yet stay where you are. Maybe NILs need to be kept in accounts and only guaranteed if you stay in your original location. Paid out at the end unless  you leave or go pro in which case that account is forfeited. There are many reasonable solutions. Instead it’s the Wild West. Anarchy…. It’s ridiculous . 

That's not a bad idea. I don't see it happening though. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

I better not see you celebrate a single bucket he makes.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

You do realize that most companies are only loyal to making money, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Is that a bad thing?  That's what companies are in business for.

College players are not businesses, or they didn't used to be.  They were given an educational scholarship in exchange for playing for a specific school. 

Then someone said the school (business) is making money by you playing for them; you should also get a cut of that.   I wonder if employees ever sued to get a cut of profits from their employers?  No, they work for contracted salary or pay and just go on strike (withhold service) when they want a better deal.  Maybe players could strike instead of Portal?  

Anyway, I hear junior high kids now don't want just an 8th grade education for playing football....they want a share of school taxes taken in each year.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

College players are not businesses, or they didn't used to be.  They were given an educational scholarship in exchange for playing for a specific school. 

On this I agree 100%.  Wish it was still this way.  College football is getting way out of hand.  Maybe it's just me.

• Upvote 4

I can tell I have never been less excited about MG sports since the 1970's.  NIL has killed it for me.  Part of I enjoyed was watching the progress of he players develop.. I bought my season tickets for football but I am not sure about basketball this year.   It just sucks to be one of the farm teams.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I can tell I have never been less excited about MG sports since the 1970's.  NIL has killed it for me.  Part of I enjoyed was watching the progress of he players develop.. I bought my season tickets for football but I am not sure about basketball this year.   It just sucks to be one of the farm teams.

Ditto, I am thinking about cancelling my season tickets as well.  I just got laid off and so I need to keep the budget lean.  I promise as soon as I land a job I will reup.  Being in IT has been tough.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Yep.  They keep calling me to reup my FB season tickets and I just can't pull the trigger.  No incentive.  Silence around the program.  Nobody up there is driving any type of excitement, spring football came and went with the least amount of coverage as I can ever remember which has led to me not really caring at this point.  Things are more expensive, two kids in college and I have to decide if I want to make the drive, etc.  

Nobody working on Bonnie Brae Street is giving me any reason to at this point.  I may just sit here and watch it on ESPN+

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Gonna be honest: what's killing my Mean Green vibe is not actually NIL, it's all the Mean Green fans griping about NIL.

I know we all have our reasons, but for me and my fandom, I'm pretty good as long as someone is representing Mean Green in college sports.  I like following the players and feel a certain level of attachment to them, but obviously not nearly as much attachment as some of you all do.

PS: maybe I'll be joining y'all done day! Just not there yet.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  They keep calling me to reup my FB season tickets and I just can't pull the trigger.  No incentive.  Silence around the program.  Nobody up there is driving any type of excitement, spring football came and went with the least amount of coverage as I can ever remember which has led to me not really caring at this point.  Things are more expensive, two kids in college and I have to decide if I want to make the drive, etc.  

Nobody working on Bonnie Brae Street is giving me any reason to at this point.  I may just sit here and watch it on ESPN+

Football is swirling around the toilet bowl. Not just UNT football, but "mid major" football in general. I expect salary corrections at this "level" as well as staff reductions in the very near future. The NCAA's lack of forward thinking going on decades+ attorneys attacking the NCAA and relegating them to a meaningless governing body has damaged the ship. Sinking is next. Basketball at our "level" can continue to tread water due to not needing as many parts to create a competitive product. Until, of course, the major programs start whittling away at that a la NIT rule changes, Sankey openly telling the NCAA tourney committee to tread lightly in their selections, etc. Presumably more to follow. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, greenminer said:

Gonna be honest: what's killing my Mean Green vibe is not actually NIL, it's all the Mean Green fans griping about NIL.

I know we all have our reasons, but for me and my fandom, I'm pretty good as long as someone is representing Mean Green in college sports.  I like following the players and feel a certain level of attachment to them, but obviously not nearly as much attachment as some of you all do.

Well, I love the optimism. But the reality is damning. 

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

The damning reality is how shitty we are recruiting right now, regardless of NIL.

NIL can't be disregarded when speaking of recruiting. NIL is recruiting. 

Many on here and the media talk as if money isn't always it. But I promise you it's always a part of it. And for most, it is it. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Is that a bad thing?  That's what companies are in business for.

No, I was trying to say his comparison of loyalty to hopping jobs. A company would drop any one as an employee without the bat of an eye. There is no loyalty on the business side.

• Upvote 3

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

NIL can't be disregarded when speaking of recruiting. NIL is recruiting. 

I am not disregarding it, I'm suggesting we suck at recruiting, with or without NIL.  NIL and the transfer rules are just making the entire process around us, in and outside Denton, move faster.

I don't really care if this is statistically the worse offseason ever.  I still handle emotionally it the same as any other bad offseason, which have been plenty around here.  I'll still be around, watching and rooting for the Mean Green next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1