BREAKING: John Buggs III enters the portal

• Jdawg48 changed the title to BREAKING: John Buggs III enters the portal

We will have a team next season. We do have a coach with a strong track record of identifying, recruiting and developing players.  This is a winning program now with good support, lots of great players will want to be a part of it. The transfer portal is going to take from us, just have to make sure that we get ours too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

We will have a team next season. We do have a coach with a strong track record of identifying, recruiting and developing players.  This is a winning program now with good support, lots of great players will want to be a part of it. The transfer portal is going to take from us, just have to make sure that we get ours too. 

it’s all about the benjamins 

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I will vote for which ever president ends this crap and holds the NCAA  accountable.  End the NIL and end the Portal. 🤣

The NCAA fought the NIL.  Problem is they lost.  The NCAA was made toothless by the courts.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, CMJ said:

The NCAA fought the NIL.  Problem is they lost.  The NCAA was made toothless by the courts.  

Well somebody can fix those courts…. 😏🤣

I am curious how much those backdoor payments were for them 🤣

• Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well somebody can fix those courts…. 😏🤣

I am curious how much those backdoor payments were for them 🤣

They lost the O'Bannon suit so they started the NIL thing.  When when they try to put regulations on it, they still lose.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/02/23/federal-judge-grants-injunction-preventing-ncaa-from-enforcing-nil-rules

33 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

who the hell remembers, let alone has strong feelings about Ed O'Bannon's 19 games as a Dallas Maverick?

I didn't even remember.   Not sure how anyone could think Rajon Rondo's or Lamar Odom's tenures weren't worse.

As for the thread, I think it's really funny that 2-5 days prior, everyone was citing Buggs as an important returning piece (I guess they were assuming he couldn't/wouldn't transfer again?), and then as soon as this news hits, he's "special needs", "one-dimensional player", and "easily replaceable".

People continually misguiding their anger to the players instead of the system.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

For those following how NIL is unfolding across college sports, the case to watch right now is House vs. NCAA. It is a class action lawsuit that could award up to $4B in judgments to former players that the NCAA denied NIL opportunities. 
If the NCAA loses, and it is projected to, then that would likely be a bullet through the head of the NCAA and cause it to collapse. That would give an opportunity for the Eurosoccer style “Super League” that the SEC and Big 10 schools want to form. 
At this point, for North Texas, it is probably best for the NCAA to just go ahead and collapse as the courts have removed any ability for the NCAA to enforce its rules. Without rules, it is anarchy and all of our good players in every sport get taken from us with no compensation.
But under a different system there may be a way to compensate schools like North Texas for those players and help North Texas find new players to replace them. 

• Haha 1

Call me crazy, but i think this is beneficial for Hodge. 

Last year's team, for all the talk about defensive prowess, never seemed to have an identity. To his credit, Hodge moved forward with handing the reigns to Edwards and telling him to just get out there and fill it up, but this squad needed to hit the reset button. Here's to hoping he can build a successful roster moving forward.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1