SMU (1/25/24)

CMJ

Hearing rumblings of 4,000+ tickets sold, not including student walk ups, and season ticket holders.  Could the Pit be rocking like the Tech game years back?  Lets go!

• Upvote 2

This is without question one of the biggest games in the history of the program.  Like them or not SMU has been and always will be our biggest crosstown rival.  We are that team across the tracks, in the hood.  They have all the money in the world and we can barely pay our rent.  It’s the classic underdog story. If Ross can pull this win off at home it will have a huge impact on our future attendance for this season and for years to come.

Unfortunately, UNT is one of the worst in the history of college athletics in these types of transformational opportunities.

Just look at how we handled the Mean Joe statue ceremony game.  Sellout crowd and NFL Hall of Famers all over the place and we somehow with a late lead manage to spit the bit again.   I sure hope I am wrong about tonights game but I fear the UNT curse will strike again.

• Upvote 9
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

This isn't even as big a game as the one Sunday will be.  It's big, but not THAT big.  An opportunity against a ranked league opponent (coming off a FINAL FOUR no less) isn't one that is historically typical for us.  

Not to mention it's an away game on a quick turnaround. Would be waaay bigger of a win.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

IMO If we are serious about wanting to win the conference or at least be a top four seed, we MUST win our home conference games. This one is bigger than Sunday at FAU. When we play Menphis sand FAU at home, THOSE will be huge games. 

That's a good perspective also.

• Upvote 2

So pissed we can’t come to the game! I tripped and tore up my knee and of course our seats are down low in the pit. Husband is afraid I’ll mess it up more. Will be yelling at the tv and scaring my cat!

GMG!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

58 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

IMO If we are serious about wanting to win the conference or at least be a top four seed, we MUST win our home conference games. This one is bigger than Sunday at FAU. When we play Memphis and FAU at home, THOSE will be huge games. 

Agree that we’ve gotta win the home games but @CMJ is right @FAU is a much bigger game than tonight. Any team currently ranked in the Top 25 automatically trumps a good, cross town rival. Sorry. Not to mention a participant in last season’s Final 4. It’s a monster game for us. SMU isn’t even receiving votes for Top 25 yet. 

Edited by Green Lantern
  • Upvote 4

Good article in the Dallas paper about the game. They praised our administration for "going all out" to get a sellout, for this game against SMU. Last time I checked, we were a two-point favorite. With all of this attention, this is an absolute must win!

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, dodgefan said:

Good article in the Dallas paper about the game. They praised our administration for "going all out" to get a sellout, for this game against SMU. Last time I checked, we were a two-point favorite. With all of this attention, this is an absolute must win!

Another down vote for a positive statement NT? What a miserable life you must live.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Another down vote for a positive statement NT? What a miserable life you must live.

I don't think it is personal, if I had to guess it's because your handle gives people PTSD* 

*I'm kidding....mostly 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Agree that we’ve gotta win the home games but @CMJ is right @FAU is a much bigger game than tonight. Any team currently ranked in the Top 25 automatically trumps a good, cross town rival. Sorry. Not to mention a participant in last season’s Final 4. It’s a monster game for us. SMU isn’t even receiving votes for Top 25 yet. 

Let's just win both and not worry about splitting hairs.

• Upvote 6

Both teams are having to earn their buckets. Both sides are playing hard. Super glad Ruben and Buggs are back for this one. Atmosphere seems electric. If home games could be like this every game

Edited by 3_n_out
  • Upvote 1