2 hours ago, Cooley said:

Don't think the NCAA saw this tsunami and failed to have guidelines or rules in place.  

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This should have led to the entire leadership of the NCAA being replaced.

I keep seeing things like this get posted, but the NCAA is doing exactly what the member schools wanted them to do with all of this stuff (stay out of the way). They take their marching orders directly from the member schools. Always have. That’s not new.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This should have led to the entire leadership of the NCAA being replaced. Many people predicted what would happen and that it would be a pay-for-play system. I don't think many thought there would be so much money thrown at players (even backups who rarely play). I would also guess they did not think they would create a system where star players at Blueblood programs would leave their teams. Combine this with the ease of transferring (players transferring multiple times) and the fact that the spineless NCAA would not attempt to stop tampering; you have the perfect storm in place.

The NCAA has no power in enforcing rules that big name schools don't want enforced. Everyone knew what would happen with NIL, this isn't some, "Oh my! We didn't think this would happen" situation. This is what the P5 wanted, and if the NCAA would have tried to stop them they could just split off and form their own playoff. If anything starts hurting the big schools they will pass regulations to dial it back. I've talked about this exact subject in another recent thread, the NCAA can only enforce what it's allowed to, and they take their orders from the programs that have all the money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

When people say college sports don't matter to a university.

"Since Nick Saban arrived in 2007, Alabama's enrollment has increased from 25,000 students to 40,000 students.

That's a 60% jump compared to a 10% national average.

But the *type* of student matters much more.

Alabama went from the majority of its student body consisting of in-state students to the majority now being from out-of-state.

This is important because those students pay 3x more in annual tuition  — $32,000 vs. $11,000 — and it means Alabama increased its annual revenue by hundreds of millions under Nick Saban."

Source:

Edited by GMG_Dallas
Formatting

12 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Should players who sign with a school whose coach leaves right after the signing be allowed out of their NLI?

100% they should be allowed to leave. I know that players leaving sucks, but when a player commits to a school, they commit to playing for that coach and his staff. In a sense, the coach backed out on the player, so the player should be allowed to back out. I'm not a fan of the constant revolving door in CFB, but I do side with the player's ability to leave in this situation

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

When people say college sports don't matter to a university.

"Since Nick Saban arrived in 2007, Alabama's enrollment has increased from 25,000 students to 40,000 students.

That's a 60% jump compared to a 10% national average.

But the *type* of student matters much more.

Alabama went from the majority of its student body consisting of in-state students to the majority now being from out-of-state.

This is important because those students pay 3x more in annual tuition  — $32,000 vs. $11,000 — and it means Alabama increased its annual revenue by hundreds of millions under Nick Saban."

Source:

They say athletics is a window to the university 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

100% they should be allowed to leave. I know that players leaving sucks, but when a player commits to a school, they commit to playing for that coach and his staff. In a sense, the coach backed out on the player, so the player should be allowed to back out. I'm not a fan of the constant revolving door in CFB, but I do side with the player's ability to leave in this situation

Yesterday 9 football recruits at Alabama de-. committed . Probably more to follow.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

Yesterday 9 football recruits at Alabama de-. committed . Probably more to follow.

I would be very surprised if they did not name a new coach by the weekend. Also, keep in mind the portal is now open for 30 days for all Alabama players also.

30 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I would be very surprised if they did not name a new coach by the weekend. Also, keep in mind the portal is now open for 30 days for all Alabama players also.

They’re going to take a big hit in these next 30 days. Luckily they’re Alabama so it’s not like they won’t just rebuild right back. That new coach will bring in guys with them too (whenever they’re eligible to do so) 

• Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, wardly said:

Actually it might have been their #9 recruit. I have read conflicting reports.

You are correct including the #2 player in the '24 class, a WR, who is now leaning towards UT.

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

An article I read stated 'Bama expected to have a replacement named in 72 hours.  Dan Lanning already turned them down.

That seems fast unless the AD had a hint Saban was leaving before everyone else.   

Maybe Dabo Swinney?   It's a no-win position following a Legend like Saban.  

10 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Never said he was offered the job, just said he's staying at Oregon...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39287274/dan-lanning-amid-alabama-rumors-says-staying-oregon

lanning was never going....20 mil buyout, plus about 30 mil in Nike stock that he gets...then another 15 mil per year to coach

• Upvote 1

Pete Carroll would make some sense. He's a player's coach who could keep the roster together. Huge name with college success who could keep things going for this next season. Get him for 2-3 years while you figure out who your next guy is without making a hasty decision. The benefit to Carroll? He needs 1 more season of coaching at the college level to be eligible for the College Football Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 2

I believe it will be Lane. He has just enough villain in him to keep Bama, hated Bama. 

The Carrol idea is interesting and there is no way that coach is done. He needs a gig more than Belichick. 

Plus Kiffin knows the SEC. He’s won at most stops. He recruits grade A talent to Ole Miss. He’s ready and I don’t think this is a thankless job. Alabama will reload not rebuild. You give me a ready made culture with high bars and expectations, and resources out the arse. That is not a bad gig. Sark would be a risk. Need to see him do a bit more at Texas before he gets one of the primo jobs in the old SEC. He’s got one in the new SEC.

I did Dabo but he struggles with the new landscape. Too risky. 

GMG

• Puking Eagle 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:24 PM, Cooley said:

My point is that NIL was created as a result of coaches and universities making millions while players were limited to room & board. Additionally, despite contracts, coaches were allowed to move around (with or without buyouts) They are not required to sit out either.

It's a good point. The massive salaries and mobility of coaches, along with the enormous TV deals, made the total ban on players making money ridiculous.

• Downvote 2