8 years ago today

TripleGrad

Will forever love Seth.  He elevated the program no doubt (just look at the data you posted).  He wasn’t especially charismatic and the game has drastically changed in the last couple of years. I think Eric is great with offensive schemes and can relate to players. Prayers up that that results in some good times 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Will forever love Seth.  He elevated the program no doubt (just look at the data you posted).  He wasn’t especially charismatic and the game has drastically changed in the last couple of years. I think Eric is great with offensive schemes and can relate to players. Prayers up that that results in some good times 

Seth was a very good coach.  He never had this type of losses from his players.  Eric could learn a lot from how Seth handled things if you ask me.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

Seth was a very good coach.  He never had this type of losses from his players.  Eric could learn a lot from how Seth handled things if you ask me.

Absolutely. Dealing with a college football landscape that is completely different than what it currently is, and with resources and assistant pay completely different than his predecessors, Seth really took us to new heights.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To Seth's credit, he did what every North Texas coach has tried to do, but no one has been able to do since Hayden Fry--get offered a head coaching gig at a major conference program.  And to his further credit, he turned it down due to loyalty.  Certainly loyalty to the coaches on his staff, in that he demanded KSU hire them all.  And I believe part of it was loyalty to North Texas, who had given him his first opportunity as a head coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

48 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

To Seth's credit, he did what every North Texas coach has tried to do, but no one has been able to do since Hayden Fry--get offered a head coaching gig at a major conference program.  And to his further credit, he turned it down due to loyalty.  Certainly loyalty to the coaches on his staff, in that he demanded KSU hire them all.  And I believe part of it was loyalty to North Texas, who had given him his first opportunity as a head coach.

Actually the last coach to get hired away to what be became a P5 conference team was Jerry Moore who was hired by Texas Tech after the 1980 season. He was the last coach to leave with a.500 record or better before Seth. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Actually the last coach to get hired away to what be became a P5 conference team was Jerry Moore who was hired by Texas Tech after the 1980 season. He was the last coach to leave with a.500 record or better before Seth. 

Thank you, I forgot about him.  The larger point still stands.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Seth was the first (non-interim) coach to leave with a .500 or better record since 1980. He was only the second coach in at least 40 years to have back-to-back nine-win seasons. When he arrived, NT had been to one bowl game in 11 years, and during his tenure, we went to five bowls in six years. He changed the standard from "Can you get to any bowl game?" to "How many bowl games can you win?" I don't have the exact numbers handy, but roughly 60% of D1 football coaches have less than a .500 record after 5 years putting Seth in the (roughly) Top 40% of D1 football head coaches. 

Unquestionably, he raised the program to a much higher level than it was when he arrived. 

How many conference Championships?  How many bowls wins (in an era when you can go to bowls at 0.500 or below)?  I still see jokes about college football using North Texas as the standard of ineptitude in college football.  Top 40% huh?  So get a 65% in one of classes of your major which technically passing but a D and you are satisfied?  🙄.  We will see how good of a Coordinator Seth is in 2024.  As head coach with the highest paid staff in CUSA most of his tenure he was mediocre.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Seth didn't have to play 4 body bag games a year either; he even cried his way out of the Army series. 

How many teams with a winning record did Seth beat?

How many bowls did Seth win?

How many years did Seth go undefeated in Conference?

How many Conference Championships did Seth win?

How many years did Dickey go undefeated in Conference play? 

I was not a Dickey fan, but given the schedules played, facilities available, and increase in funds for assistant coaches Dickey would have clobbered Seth.

Seth was a big freaking joke, that laughed all the way to bank.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

I'll remember Seth for the great start and the inability to win bowl games and big games aside from shocking Arkansas and knocking off undefeated UTSA.

If he does well as the Sooners OC he'll be in the running for the top job when it comes open next.

• Skeptical Eagle 1