North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

And he only gets the bag if he commits quickly. Cal's offensive system isn't nearly as QB friendly as ours. Hope the money was worth it. Not like Rogers going to get a shot in the NFL anyway at this point, especially leaving us, a system that highlights his talents. Hope his career aspirations in football go down the GD gutter. Bloesh is a douchebaging moron. He knows how to coach a decent line and that's about it.

peanuts, do u realize that new cal's offensive coordinator is ur 2022 offensive line coach mike bloesch?

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/110786/0

15 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Let’s all tell our grandkids about the magical 5-7 season and the quarterback who didn’t even make honorable mention all conference. 

Exactly.  We can also tell them about the ill-timed fumbles and holding on to the ball too long and taking way too many sacks.  But hey screw the 5-7 record, we had a QB that completed more than 60% of his passes!  Yea us.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

I would think the NIL budget has nothing to do with the school's budget, right?

Cal has 1.2M in their NIL bank that only got there from a matching donation of 500k. They are not swimming in fan money and they are certainly not paying a 5 time transferee from North Texas for one year of service the big payout. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

Have we ever stopped to consider the possibility that these players hate the atmosphere of North Texas and genuinely wanted to get away from Morris?

Good riddance. The majority of our players leaving were told it might be better for them to move on. Hell most of them are getting FCS offers. Only a few are getting FBS looks (Miner, Febehchi, Maclin, Rogers, Adaway). If they can't handle the environment at North Texas, good luck playing at a lower level school. 

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

19 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Rodgers was great, but it seems clear that UNT was always going to be his stepping stool. Hasn’t posted any thank you to UNT, just his transfer announcement and his highlights. Maybe I’m just reading into it too much, but doesn’t seem like he bought in to UNT 

@rojomojo  Have we ever stopped to consider the possibility that these players hate the atmosphere of North Texas and genuinely wanted to get away from Morris?

I think y'all are onto something here, and that is concerning.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Good riddance. The majority of our players leaving were told it might be better for them to move on. Hell most of them are getting FCS offers. Only a few are getting FBS looks (Miner, Febehchi, Maclin, Rogers, Adaway). If they can't handle the environment at North Texas, good luck playing at a lower level school. 

You can't type with a straight face that this 5-7 coaching administration looked at Adaway, Maclin, Rogers, and Miner and said "yeah it's better if you left"

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

And he only gets the bag if he commits quickly. Cal's offensive system isn't nearly as QB friendly as ours. Hope the money was worth it. Not like Rogers going to get a shot in the NFL anyway at this point, especially leaving us, a system that highlights his talents. Hope his career aspirations in football go down the GD gutter. Bloesh is a douchebaging moron. He knows how to coach a decent line and that's about it.

This might be one of the dumbest takes I've seen on here in a long time.
Look at what his offense was able to do with Austin Aune under center.   Can you imagine what he could have done here with a dude like Chandler Rogers?

Just reeks of jilted lover syndrome.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure if I’m going to say it’s just a UNT thing. To me, I think it’s an issue for all schools that are like UNT, where players will come to us from smaller schools, but we’re just a place for them to get a step up. Seems to be the new thing all across college football, not just happening in Denton 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm sure all the players the Morris replaced at UIW probably didn't like him either, and then he built a roster that won multiple conference titles and a million dollar transfer QB.

It's still early. This roster is going to be filled with guys who want to be here and want to play for Morris. That's why Kinne was so successful at TX State this year. He went and got guys that actually want to play for him. This is no different IMO.

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Not sure if I’m going to say it’s just a UNT thing. To me, I think it’s an issue for all schools that are like UNT, where players will come to us from smaller schools, but we’re just a place for them to get a step up. Seems to be the new thing all across college football, not just happening in Denton 

I bet it's a little of both honestly.   Sure, some of these guys will have good(better?) opportunities elsewhere.

It's just odd that several dudes who came in for just 1 year under a new regime would decide, "I'll leave after 1 year."  ... unless they didn't buy-in.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm sure all the players the Morris replaced at UIW probably didn't like him either, and then he built a roster that won multiple conference titles and a million dollar transfer QB.

It's still early. This roster is going to be filled with guys who want to be here and want to play for Morris. That's why Kinne was so successful at TX State this year. He went and got guys that actually want to play for him. This is no different IMO.

I haven't gone to look at what's going on at TX St., but it does seem different.

Your example might actually be an exhibit of the point I'm trying to make if Kinne's guys are staying around.   If Kinne brought in a bunch of guys, and they all are staying... but the guys Morris brought in here are leaving... that would indicate those guys bought-into Kinne, but our guys did not buy-into Morris.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I'm confused by this comment. Rogers picked UNT over Cal last year so he didn't use us to get a step up. Maybe he just wanted to play close to home for a year and now wanted to play in a bigger conference?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, rojomojo said:

You can't type with a straight face that this 5-7 coaching administration looked at Adaway, Maclin, Rogers, and Miner and said "yeah it's better if you left"

Adaway- if he wants to leave that's not a big issue to me. He played his tail off for 4 years here and got a degree. This is not a ground and pound offense.

Maclin- P5 bounceback, we knew he was leaving early in the season. Does it suck to lose him, yes but we knew this was happening. Look at the number of WRs we have been targeting this cycle.

Rogers- This one really sucks to lose. I know this caught the staff off guard. I'm concerned about losing him. On a different note, this will be Rogers 5th school, so we should have known he was a flight risk.

Miner- He's more than likely following the OL coach that recruited him here. He was our highest scoring PFF OL. However, we do have a C/G from GA Tech that will replace him. Or we move Duncan over to his spot.

We have 40 spots open, time to see how the staff fills it out. I'm not sad that we lost guys Littrell recruited that barely saw the field. Now if they don't get quality guys in here to fill the roster, I'll be in the WTF category as well.

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I haven't gone to look at what's going on at TX St., but it does seem different.

Your example might actually be an exhibit of the point I'm trying to make if Kinne's guys are staying around.   If Kinne brought in a bunch of guys, and they all are staying... but the guys Morris brought in here are leaving... that would indicate those guys bought-into Kinne, but our guys did not buy-into Morris.

Could be. Based on JD's comments it seems a lot of the guys on offense thought they could get a bag based on how good the offense was this year

To me, it makes zero sense for an offensive player to want to leave this offense, UNLESS he thinks he's gonna get paid. If they're leaving because they didn't buy into Morris, the reasoning could be that he's sticking with Caponi and the defense is hot garbage and will continue to be hot garbage so why bother?

Either way next year we'll know we have a roster that was either A) was recruited by Littrell and genuinely wants to be at UNT or B) Wants to play for Morris.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Rogers- This one really sucks to lose. I know this caught the staff off guard. I'm concerned about losing him. On a different note, this will be Rogers 5th school, so we should have known he was a flight risk.

I am sorry, but I feel like Coach Morris and the staff owe us an explanation on this one.  Why would Rogers choose to leave such a prolific offense?  What happened behind the scenes?  I think some type of explanation is warranted as it leaves us in an extremely precarious position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I am sorry, but I feel like Coach Morris and the staff owe us an explanation on this one.  Why would Rogers choose to leave such a prolific offense?  What happened behind the scenes?  I think some type of explanation is warranted as it leaves us in an extremely precarious position. 

What's the explanation?

Morris-You're our returning starter, the North Texas Collectives are going to try and take care of you.

Cal Collective- Hi, I'm a tech dork with Silicon Valley money, if we give you a 6 figure check will you come be our QB?

Rogers- See ya later UNT.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

But his actions plainly say he doesn't care about North Texas

Newsflash for everyone. NONE of the players, coaches, or athletic department employees care about North Texas if a better option comes along. Please don't question their loyalty because they have none. Bank on that.

And I am not saying anything bad about that. They are all going to do what they perceive as being best for their finances, their football careers, and their families, and there is nothing wrong with that. I too hate to lose players but I want every one of them to always do what they believe is best for their personal situation.

But, and there's always a big but, I expect that while they are here that they are 100% committed to this program, this university, and respect this university's traditions.

I still cant fathom how we let a player that absolutely avoided contact be a defensive captain, how we let a new coach dedicate his first year to playing pirate in honor of a Tech coach, and we let mercenary student athletes select what uniforms they'd like to wear because they'd prefer to disregard our traditions.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Cal has 1.2M in their NIL bank that only got there from a matching donation of 500k. They are not swimming in fan money and they are certainly not paying a 5 time transferee from North Texas for one year of service the big payout. 

Thanks.  Where can one find these NIL numbers per school?

15 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

You are just mad. I’m sure the money will be worth it. I would’ve left UNT for 6-7 figures and I freaking love the place. He isn’t getting drafted out of UNT as a quarterback but might at Cal. There are far more Cal quarterbacks in the NFL than UNT quarterbacks. Not only that, Bloesch got Aune a minicamp invite from the Falcons which led to him being signed by the team as an undrafted free agent. He was cut a month later but that was on Aune.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1