North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

I don't think its for lack of trying with the portal, we have a ton of offers sent for transfers, will see how it plays out. Just not sure we can compete with the budget of other schools. I am curious to see how many of these guys come back with how many players are in the portal. 

It may just be that this cycle will have an absurd amount of transfer players across the board to test the waters and see what money they can make. Rogers leaving would hurt a lot.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jdawg48 said:

Lol has it ever been this bad where majority of our stars/starters leave like this? At this rate?

No because we didn't have the transfer portal and NIL. I'll go watch the games, but I won't have the same passion and interest in college football. I'd rather go back to watching the NFL where at least players are under contract and the majority of your players aren't leaving every year. I wonder how long until the UIL is forced to allow free transfers for HS athletes?

• Upvote 3

Maclin is a talent -- but 1) WR is more replaceable than other positions. 2) the offense and QB should attract more talent. 3) I'd rather have 3/4 "B" WRs than 1 A. 
Ayo is a talent -- but RB is *very* replaceable. We might be a little spoiled but losing Torrey just opened the door for more guys to come in and show they could do a lot of the same. 

OL losses -- the OL was good in run situations, but even going back a couple of seasons in big moments they did not produce -- v UTSA, v UAB, v Bowl Opponents. This year, they got killed in pass protection. I liked Miner, but I don't know that anyone on the line can't be upgraded. I don't like losing guys, but the real travesty would be not finding someone better -- something I think the staff needed to do anyway. Either developing the guys there or finding swaps. 

Defense -- I've argued a large portion of the poor defensive play this year has been due to the lack of building on the defensive side for years. I mean, PB had a squad ranked in the 100s and they lost the MLB, CB, and a safety from that group. I like that some of the young talent got time -- means they should develop. Losing Wilson is not great, but he was an upperclassman. He wasn't going to be around for that much longer anyway. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

I've been saying all along that we have to get used to cheering for the shirt and not the kids... but it just takes so much of the fun out of it.

Damn the NCAA to hell.

I agree.. I think we act like customers of a product too often and not supporters of our school. However, this new college football landscape is making it really really hard. With no continuity in your best players we have turned into a farming team, and the American has turned into a farming league. How are we supposed to get excited for an upcoming football season when it will be new faces each year. I bet our upcoming FB schedule promo prints won’t even display any players lol. This has gotten so out of hand. I thought that NIL was going to be a good thing for players to profit off their jerseys, autographs, etc. but what it is in place now cannot be sustainable for group of 5 team fan interest. I always felt hope with our 2017-2019 teams because I knew we had mason fine, and most of our guys would be returning the next year. Those little feelings of hope will be extinguished year over year in today’s environment. I’m sure we aren’t the only ones that feel this way now. 

I almost think we should just scrap football at this point and pour all of our resources into basketball. It’s easier to pay for a 15 man roster. The fabric of what made college football great has been torn to shreds. Farewell to the days of the mid majors, this basically a super league now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Bleed Green said:

I agree.. I think we act like customers of a product too often and not supporters of our school. However, this new college football landscape is making it really really hard. With no continuity in your best players we have turned into a farming team, and the American has turned into a farming league. How are we supposed to get excited for an upcoming football season when it will be new faces each year. I bet our upcoming FB schedule promo prints won’t even display any players lol. This has gotten so out of hand. I thought that NIL was going to be a good thing for players to profit off their jerseys, autographs, etc. but what it is in place now cannot be sustainable for group of 5 team fan interest. I always felt hope with our 2017-2019 teams because I knew we had mason fine, and most of our guys would be returning the next year. Those little feelings of hope will be extinguished year over year in today’s environment. I’m sure we aren’t the only ones that feel this way now. 

I almost think we should just scrap football at this point and pour all of our resources into basketball. It’s easier to pay for a 15 man roster. The fabric of what made college football great has been torn to shreds. Farewell to the days of the mid majors, this basically a super league now. 

If NIL was going on during the Fine years, he would of been gone as well. 

And I agree, put the money towards basketball. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Well, since he’s gone… I have never seen a quarterback fumble as much or as easily as Chandler Rogers did.

He also never won a big game for us. If he had been just a little bit better, or could have beat out Stone Earle this summer, we would be in a bowl game.

Enjoy your $1M, Chandler. Remember, after taxes and agent fees that $$$ is cut in half. 

• Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3