North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

@Cougar King has entered the portal.  

Rumor is he’s being offered the following in his NIL deal:  

- Funds to move out of mom’s basement 

- Lifting the ban on all UH message boards

- Expungement of his UNT academic record to remove the failing grades

Living rent-free in Emmitt's head since 2012.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

At the moment we have 30 plus open spots. That's kind of exciting. We have these guys on the staff with strong connections to the area. Let's see how it shakes out.

Best of luck to the guys leaving, we can find replacements in the portal and juco ranks. Notice a pattern with the guys leaving?

Ayo Adeyi (Transfered here from a D3 school)

Isaiah Johnson (Littrell signed him out of HS)

Logan Wilson ( 3rd time to transfer. He played at Kansas State and ULM before here.)

Stone Earle ( Transfer from ACU)

Ja'Mori Maclin (Transfer from Missouri)

Ethan Miner (Transfer from Arkansas State)

What position does Logan Wilson play? So I won't have to be asking for future player but these guy who are going to the portal are they still listed in meangreen sports?

On 12/1/2023 at 6:52 PM, Danish43 said:

We all know that but we will have to work within this disadvantage. 

Point being that the portal can either benefit or damage a program. The NIL only benefits P4 programs with deep pockets and hurts the rest of us. You are correct in that everyone knows that but those of us with underfunded athletic programs and reluctant donors will have a hard time overcoming this disadvantage and I don't know how you work within it.

• Upvote 1

Stings to have Ayo and Maclin declare, but this will, unfortunately, be the norm. Only way we can limit the perennial exits is if we break through like UTSA. Even though they have kids transferring, they also get some good players in return. That’s why we can’t afford to throw seasons away. So, I’m hoping Caponi and this defense improves greatly , or else UNT will continue on the treadmill of mediocrity. 

• Upvote 3

I get it…the shock value of our guys leaving will be high at the moment, since all we’re going to hear are the kids that want to enter the portal. Hopefully, things will calm down once we start hearing/knowing who have transferred in. Being a highly ranked offense, not only in our conference, but NATIONALLY, should attract kids to mitigate the offensive loses…hopefully. Defensively, I just can’t believe whomever we replace/add can be any worse than what we had…right?

I really don't view graduate transfers the same way as undergrads.

It's actually part of the problem of people viewing guys who've already transferred as some magical solution. If they have enough credits, nothing is going to stop them from transferring again.

And, as before, plenty of kids transferred back in the day of sitting out a year, so if you're truly in a situation you don't want to be in, I can absolutely see someone transferring a second time.

You have to recruit your own roster and fill your own roster every year. That's just how it is. College coaches have to get it done or pursue a new line of work.

I think we should go heavy into the portal.  Get Sophs and Jrs, experienced, more mature players that will use up their free undergrad transfer to come to NT.  Maybe focus on players wanting to come home again to the DFW area also.  Different ways to secure the roster from being so fluid each year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Ian Campbell said:

I think Denton somehow has a worse culture of this mentality being home to two commuter schools. I often meet people who have lived in Denton 10 years and still don’t think of themselves as “Dentonites.” They came here from school, planned to move to somewhere with mountains or something, never got the chance, but still don’t commit to the place because they see Denton as just a stopover. The transfer portal is just a further example of this trend and shows that it is still, well, trending. 

Great observation and 100% accurate.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

I think we should go heavy into the portal.  Get Sophs and Jrs, experienced, more mature players that will use up their free undergrad transfer to come to NT.  Maybe focus on players wanting to come home again to the DFW area also.  Different ways to secure the roster from being so fluid each year.

What happens when we want to encourage these players to “explore other opportunities?”

1 hour ago, keith said:

What happens when we want to encourage these players to “explore other opportunities?”

Since scholarships are year to year they could just tell the player they're not planning on renewing. However it's more likely they let the player know that their plans are not including them and they urge them to look elsewhere for another opportunity.  Then again if they take Deion's approach they just tell the player you're cut, clear out your locker

The SEC and the Big 12 might pick off some of our players, but we don’t have to play in the SEC or the Big 12.

We play against schools like UTSA, UAB and Rice. We just have to beat these schools, who are also getting their roster picked apart by the P4, to have a successful season. 

And we can steal players from the Sun Belt, CUSA and Lone Star Conference, etc. 

The game has changed, but it is still a game. We just have to win it. 

And one other thing, the transfer portal is getting all the attention, but we need to be playing Moneyball. Where are the undervalued assets?

If everyone else is zigging into the transfer portal, it might be smarter to zag into JUCO or high school recruits to find immediate impact players. At some point, the transfer portal has to become too picked over. 

This is Eric Morris’ job to figure out. He went 5-7 this year, which is unacceptable to me. 

I expect this team to make a bowl game every year, compete for the conference championship most seasons and sometimes peak as a conference champion that cracks the Top 25. 

I still believe that Eric Morris can accomplish this. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Ya’ll realize that all of our best players this season were guys we got from the transfer portal.

The portal shall taketh away, but it will certainly also giveth. 

While true, holding on to top talent while acquiring more is what is going to elevate us to a top program.  

if the roster is a constant revolving door, we’ll continue to hover in mediocrity. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m done with .500 ball. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Green with Envy said:

While true, holding on to top talent while acquiring more is what is going to elevate us to a top program.  

if the roster is a constant revolving door, we’ll continue to hover in mediocrity. 

I don’t know about you, but I’m done with .500 ball. 

I think when this is all said and done, most of our peers will see about the same turnover ratios.

Differences, of course, when you see the beginning or end of a coaching staff tenure.

• Upvote 1

Coming here and finding a portal entry thread 10 PAGES LONG reminded me of a joke.

Man goes to the doctor for test results.

Doctor says, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is you have one day to live."

Man says, "Then what's the bad news?"

"I forgot to tell you yesterday."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, rcade said:

Coming here and finding a portal entry thread 10 PAGES LONG reminded me of a joke.

Man goes to the doctor for test results.

Doctor says, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is you have one day to live."

Man says, "Then what's the bad news?"

"I forgot to tell you yesterday."

Funny joke, but very premature. Yesterday is like 2 months from now. Stop being an alarmist.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Funny joke, but very premature. Yesterday is like 2 months from now. Stop being an alarmist.

Every fan of a G5 school is looking at players entering the portal with alarm.

The new normal for most of college football is an offseason that begins with chaos and misery.

I'm not going to pretend this is fun. 1,000-yard rushers and 1,000-yard receivers don't grow on trees.

48 minutes ago, rcade said:

Every fan of a G5 school is looking at players entering the portal with alarm.

The new normal for most of college football is an offseason that begins with chaos and misery.

I'm not going to pretend this is fun. 1,000-yard rushers and 1,000-yard receivers don't grow on trees.

We'll see. We havan't lost Adaway yet, and I think he's better than Adeyi. As for the receiver, replaceable in this system. I'm not saying I like it, but it is the reality. A lot of this coaching staff is going to be judged for their offseason gains and losses. No way to know until we hit next year. If it's a shitshow, it's a shitshow.