North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

IN the age of the portal and NIL, EVERY YEAR has the potential to be a rebuilding year. 

Yes, exactly.  Or, to put it another way, there is no such thing as a rebuilding year anymore.  Every season is a one-off, and if you end up 5-7 (or worse) then the coaching staff just simply lost that year.  They aren't ever "building" toward anything in the future.  The good news is that you get to try again the next season with a new roll of the dice and an almost entirely new roster.  

Having a good system (on both sides of the ball) is important--in some ways that's the ONLY thing coaches are paid for nowadays, as developing "culture" is no longer relevant, and recruiting is based on the strength of NIL collectives).  But, having said that, there is zero benefit in developing a system that cannot be effectively and fully implemented between spring practice and the following August.  (I'm looking at you, 3-3-5!) If it takes players you don't have on your roster to run it, then why are you wasting everyone's time teaching it to a group of players who can't do it effectively, won't be able to have a successful season with it, and won't be around next season to continue it?

I do think the various NT NIL collectives should marshall their resources and at least make a play at countering the massive offers coming at Rogers.  I know they probably can't afford to pay him market value without blowing all the money needed to pay a whole host of other players.  But, let's at least try to make him a fair offer--like UTSA did to keep Harris after last season.  QB is so important to this offense that I shudder to think of how badly this season could have gone if we hadn't found the right guy.  Letting him walk without a fight is very risky...

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, cdizzle86 said:

Yeah the answer is to encourage them to move from place to place never having any loyalty, making college football less competitive and less interesting for die hard fans because teams are constantly changing. Not to mention ruining opportunities for high school players because their scholarships are being given to transfers. 

Well stated!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

Yes, exactly.  Or, to put it another way, there is no such thing as a rebuilding year anymore.  Every season is a one-off, and if you end up 5-7 (or worse) then the coaching staff just simply lost that year.  They aren't ever "building" toward anything in the future.  The good news is that you get to try again the next season with a new roll of the dice and an almost entirely new roster.  

Having a good system (on both sides of the ball) is important--in some ways that's the ONLY thing coaches are paid for nowadays, as developing "culture" is no longer relevant, and recruiting is based on the strength of NIL collectives).  But, having said that, there is zero benefit in developing a system that cannot be effectively and fully implemented between spring practice and the following August.  (I'm looking at you, 3-3-5!) If it takes players you don't have on your roster to run it, then why are you wasting everyone's time teaching it to a group of players who can't do it effectively, won't be able to have a successful season with it, and won't be around next season to continue it?

I do think the various NT NIL collectives should marshall their resources and at least make a play at countering the massive offers coming at Rogers.  I know they probably can't afford to pay him market value without blowing all the money needed to pay a whole host of other players.  But, let's at least try to make him a fair offer--like UTSA did to keep Harris after last season.  QB is so important to this offense that I shudder to think of how badly this season could have gone if we hadn't found the right guy.  Letting him walk without a fight is very risky...

Harris was damaged goods and injured all of his career.  He had very little market value.  Rogers is much more valuable.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

We have raised a generation of young people that choose to quit or leave when things don't go their way. If you have a problem with your spouse, just walk out and get a divorce. Boss gets on to you about not doing your job, just quit. Don't except a challenge and work harder, just leave. Not every case in the portal is like that but many are. Times change, but I don't see this a something positive. 

I don't know if it's fair to call this a generation-specific issue.  There are a lot of reasons for players to enter the portal, so without citing data, should we assume that leaving "because things don't go their way" is the dominant factor? If you were to use North Texas as an example, it seems that the vast majority of our players transferring out (according to sources with inside knowledge) were asked/encouraged to do so by the coaching staff.  Sure, they could just defy the urging of their own coaches and try to work harder or something, but those same coaches hold the power to pull their scholarships, if they so choose.  It would be risky/foolish not to take their suggestion.  In the case of star players choosing to leave of their own volition, they are usually being offered massive NIL increases.  I hate to lose those guys, but some of them have family obligations or other reasons why they can't in good conscience turn down . . .oh, let's say $150,000 to play football for a year elsewhere vs. maybe just a few thousand to stay.  I highly doubt that previous generations would be any more likely to choose having their family live in poverty with that kind of money on the table.  Are there exceptions to my examples, where someone bolts for little or no significant pay raise or leaves for money despite having plenty already?  Sure, of course.  But, I still believe those exceptions could be found in any generation.  Also, one could further make the case that coaches of ALL generations are just as likely to take off for a money grab despite having committed to whatever length contract.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Ross Hodgeson said:

Harris was damaged goods and injured all of his career.  He had very little market value.  Rogers is much more valuable.

Sure, there were questions about how well Harris would bounce back from his injuries, but he was the CUSA MVP last year and led his team to a conference championship.  He got a six figure NIL deal to stay in San Antonio, and he finished this season as a 1st team AAC all-conference QB.  He was and is a star college QB and could have made good money somewhere else, even if that amount would have been somewhat reduced due to injury history. 

Rogers may very well have a higher market value this off-season than Harris did last year, but I think it still stands as an apt example of a local NIL collective deciding that it's really important to keep their QB for one more year.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Adeyi has his degree from UNT in hand when he leaves at least, so he is a UNT Alumni, can not confirm the rest, so he is going to graduate school elsewhere and since the NCAA screwed up eligibility every year giving out 5th, 6th, 7th, and now in one case a 9th year of eligibility, this is life for another year or 2. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

I don't know if it's fair to call this a generation-specific issue.  There are a lot of reasons for players to enter the portal, so without citing data, should we assume that leaving "because things don't go their way" is the dominant factor? If you were to use North Texas as an example, it seems that the vast majority of our players transferring out (according to sources with inside knowledge) were asked/encouraged to do so by the coaching staff.  Sure, they could just defy the urging of their own coaches and try to work harder or something, but those same coaches hold the power to pull their scholarships, if they so choose.  It would be risky/foolish not to take their suggestion.  In the case of star players choosing to leave of their own volition, they are usually being offered massive NIL increases.  I hate to lose those guys, but some of them have family obligations or other reasons why they can't in good conscience turn down . . .oh, let's say $150,000 to play football for a year elsewhere vs. maybe just a few thousand to stay.  I highly doubt that previous generations would be any more likely to choose having their family live in poverty with that kind of money on the table.  Are there exceptions to my examples, where someone bolts for little or no significant pay raise or leaves for money despite having plenty already?  Sure, of course.  But, I still believe those exceptions could be found in any generation.  Also, one could further make the case that coaches of ALL generations are just as likely to take off for a money grab despite having committed to whatever length contract.

I respect your opinion and agree that not all players go into the portal for the same reason but as a public school teacher for over 30 years, this is how most of our young people think today. It IS generation specific. Times, attitudes and behavior have changed greatly over the past 8-10 years, just ask any teacher or coach.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I got got. Sorry, everybody.

I’d have bought it too. You’d be hard pressed to find a group of people who think less of smu and their ilk…but to quit your team to chase money the day before playing a conference championship game would be a new low for smu types.  

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

You know what also happens in the business world?  They give you various benefits like, tuition reimbursement, etc. because they have invested in you.  Then, typically, if you leave before some specified time, you are required to pay back the investment.

They are on a one year scholarship that may or may not be renewable , so they owe the college university nothing.

• Downvote 3

18 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

With all due respect… the culture and family just had the last ranked defense in the country…. Can’t really get any worse, might as well change it up. 

Well you and many others are getting your wish and unfortunately the high powered offense is clearing out too. In my opinion the Texas State transfer model hasn't been successful. Without NIL, the replacements UNT gets will have a hard time meeting  certain people's high expectations because it will likely be those that can't get the money elsewhere. I am sure it will be fun for those involved in recruiting because there will always be something new to talk about.  I approve of bringing in key transfers but hate the trend of burning down the house to do it. Just my 2 cents. 

• Oh Boy! 1

3 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Yeah lets make kids stay at places they don't want to be while coaches can bounce around whenever and wherever they choose.

How in the world did kids ever survive the playing football in college for free 20 years ago.   Them must have been some tough suns a bitches to put up with such hard times.   

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I’d have bought it too. You’d be hard pressed to find a group of people who think less of smu and their ilk…but to quit your team to chase money the day before playing a conference championship game would be a new low for smu types.  

I thought about the championship game as well but he's out due to injury so I figured it wouldn't be an obstacle to entering the portal. There's starters from bowl eligible teams in the portal so why wouldn't an injured player who's unavailable enter the portal as well. Regardless, he's not in it. I got got.

Just now, Green with Envy said:

How in the world did kids ever survive the playing football in college for free 20 years ago.   Them must have been some tough suns a bitches to put up with such hard times.   

Well, some probably just never got to play. Buried on the bench, in the dog house, whatever and spent their entire eligibility that way. Free education, sure, but you never get to prove yourself on the field. I have a co-worker who dropped his scholarship and transfered elsewhere to be a regular student back when he played college football (before this era of college football). At that point you're just riding the bench at a school you wouldn't want to be if it weren't for football.

6 hours ago, Jdawg48 said:

As of now we still have Adaway, Ragsdale, Johnson, Farrar, and the commits.

Addaway and Johnson both went through Senior Day and Ragsdale was injured so no idea on his status next year. It’s getting thin.