St. Johns (11/16/23) - Charleston Classic

greenminer

• greenminer changed the title to St. Johns (11/16/23) - Charleston Classic

St John's down 10 at the half to Michigan. Sloppy defense, not much ball movement on offense coupled with being loose with the basketball on drives to the basket. They also love to leave 3 point shooters open. Extra defenders will coming crashing on the basketball when it's being handled in the paint so our big men will need to keep their heads on a swivel to not turnover the ball and to find the open players. We'll see what Pitino has for the second half because they look bad.

• Upvote 4

two qualifiers:

1. Michigan looks pretty darn good. I might have a new favorite tiny guard...this McDaniel kid is a baller.
2. this is most of those St. John's players first time at MSG.

that said...St. John's looks very beatable. Soriano is still gonna be a problem and they have proven scorers, but this team clearly does not have a point guard to organize and get the ball in the right places. 

they're gonna try to speed us up. I think Rubin is gonna need a steady game 

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

two qualifiers:

1. Michigan looks pretty darn good. I might have a new favorite tiny guard...this McDaniel kid is a baller.
2. this is most of those St. John's players first time at MSG.

that said...St. John's looks very beatable. Soriano is still gonna be a problem and they have proven scorers, but this team clearly does not have a point guard to organize and get the ball in the right places. 

Soriano is a beast. Big, athletic, soft hands, he'll be trouble. Sissoko is going to need to turn in an NIT type performance. Otherwise you're absolutely correct about the guards. We'd be wise so slow the pace down, make them play halfcourt offense and work for every single bucket.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

What I have learned over the past few years watching the Mac/Hodge strategy is the slow-down offense/defense prevails over the speed-up offense in terms of game tempo.   This won't be a 92-90 game.  

• Upvote 2