Worst Defense in AAC and Solid Case for Worst in FBS

Meangreen Fight

If pass dominant Temple team had their starting QB for our game how much worse could the defensive stats be?  

I posted this so everyone in doubt knows that we’re aren’t exaggerating how bad the DC is out of frustration of losing these close games.

NCAA’s official stats page only goes to 130.  We are ranked 125 in total defense.  I really think if this continues the DC should do everyone a favor and “resign” and take only 1/3 of the money owed him for 2024.  

IMG_1552.jpeg

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

• Meangreen Fight changed the title to Worst Defense in AAC and Solid Case for Worst in FBS
17 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

Yeah, think about $475k/yr every time you go fill up your tank, go to the grocery store, pay your rent or house payment, pay for insurance, pay for UNT tickets etc etc etc. 

The difference is, if you or I were this bad at our job, we would be gone by now.

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Like Jerry Jones?

Hey nobody can fire an owner but as much as I dislike Jerry's leadership it is nowhere near as bad as Caponi is a DC so far.  Hell I would bring in Jerry to be DC.  He might be every bit as bad as Caponi but the carnival aspect of having an 0 experienced celebrity as DC would sell a few tickets.  🤣

Edited by Meangreen Fight

He's pulling Morris way down and he's not helping the rest of the coaches.  I hope that Eric will come to his senses and see what's happening.  He'll have to stick with him for this year but bye-bye as soon as this season ends.  Don't worry with trying to get the personnel to fit his system.  Surely Eric Morris knows some good defensive coordinators.  He's about to have rebellion from fans and students (if he can get any to the games.)  At least we won't worry again about Tulane and Memphis being winnable.  When we play SMU we'll be 40 points behind.  That will hurt even more.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Caponi will definitely be back to start next season. They will hit the portal hard on the defensive side and try to get guys in to fit his system. If we don't show a drastic improvement early on next year then I could see Morris making a change. I'm not a fan of the 3-5-5 but it is painfully obvious that we don't have the people to play it right now. I'm not sure how much better we would be in any defense. Tackling is the same in any scheme and we are definitely NOT good at that. Blown coverages and assignments are on the coaching staff but you should already know how to tackle. 

• Upvote 4

Is the DC really to blame for all this???  The basic fundamentals (tackling, positioning, where to put your hands) is so poor, the players are unable to execute the game plan, its hard to blame it all on the DC.  Granted, Caponi got here late, hired after the transfer window closed, likely didnt recruit anyone, talent wise they are probably 125th in the nation. 

The transfer window opens in a little over a month, if they want to make a change at DC then now is the time to do it, so that they can have one in place when the portal opens. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Shark84 said:

I think Caponi will definitely be back to start next season. They will hit the portal hard on the defensive side and try to get guys in to fit his system. If we don't show a drastic improvement early on next year then I could see Morris making a change. I'm not a fan of the 3-5-5 but it is painfully obvious that we don't have the people to play it right now. I'm not sure how much better we would be in any defense. Tackling is the same in any scheme and we are definitely NOT good at that. Blown coverages and assignments are on the coaching staff but you should already know how to tackle. 

I think there is a ton of truth in what you are saying. I think we have seen some true freshmen step up, and there has been improvement, just not enough. And our defense seems small, without the overall talent we need. Our strength of schedule was so weak last year that it gave us a false sense of how really bad they were.  Plus, having a few of our best players cherry-picked out to the portal just destroyed what little we had. 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Caponi is not the only one to blame on this.  I sort of blame Phil Bennett as he went for speed over size and it is hurting us in that particular regard.

So PB is to blame for recruiting players to fit his style and not guessing what type of players the next DC would like? Is it also Phil's fault that Morris did not hire a coach with the experience to be able to adapt his schemes to maximize the talents of the players he has available? Bottom line, hindsight shows that Morris, especially with the salary he is paying his DC, could have hired someone with a lot more experience.

• Upvote 5

I get the frustration…specially on the 1st half.  However, if the DC is So Bad, how do you explain the adjustments on the 2 me half?

I would be we are a top 70 defensive team in the 2nd half. Maybe top 50. I think given a season to get the defense out together, we will be fine.  
the rules are set-up to make the game offensive oriented….defense is hard pressed and hand-cuffed by the rules. 

If you look at CFB stats, average team scores are 31 points per team per game, across all teams. We are giving up 36.6 after 8 games.  

And if you take out the 1st 2 games where we just were not prepared, we are giving up 31.5 pts per game. The last 4 game are 30 pts per game. 

looks to me that we are going in the right direction.  

PLUS, we are scoring 35.5 pts per game

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I get the frustration…specially on the 1st half.  However, if the DC is So Bad, how do you explain the adjustments on the 2 me half?

I would be we are a top 70 defensive team in the 2nd half. Maybe top 50. I think given a season to get the defense out together, we will be fine.  
the rules are set-up to make the game offensive oriented….defense is hard pressed and hand-cuffed by the rules. 

If you look at CFB stats, average team scores are 31 points per team per game, across all teams. We are giving up 36.6 after 8 games.  

And if you take out the 1st 2 games where we just were not prepared, we are giving up 31.5 pts per game. The last 4 game are 30 pts per game. 

looks to me that we are going in the right direction.  

PLUS, we are scoring 35.5 pts per game

Wow, take out the things that amplify the defense's issues... and we're still not very good.  Great points here.
200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i7nrdwfdxtn6nxhugf4

Let me see if I can contribute to these mental gymnastics:
If we took out the last 47 seconds of the Memphis game, we would have WON!!!!!1!!!1!1!!!!!!!!1 
We gave up 600 yards against Memphis, yet only gave up 439 yards (and 10 fewer points) the previous week against a ranked Tulane... We're trending in the right direction!11!!!!!1!...  Dangit.  I don't think I can do this kind of math.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow, take out the things that amplify the defense's issues... and we're still not very good.  Great points here.
200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i7nrdwfdxtn6nxhugf4

Let me see if I can contribute to these mental gymnastics:
If we took out the last 47 seconds of the Memphis game, we would have WON!!!!!1!!!1!1!!!!!!!!1 
We gave up 600 yards against Memphis, yet only gave up 439 yards (and 10 fewer points) the previous week against a ranked Tulane... We're trending in the right direction!11!!!!!1!...  Dangit.  I don't think I can do this kind of math.

Not even sure why you support, or even follow the program if it drives you so crazy. 

you know the Rangers really sucked 2 years ago….made some changes, and didn’t suck as much last year, and made some changes, and BOOM they are World F’ing Series Champions. They got better incrementally until they were the best of the best.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1