Expect Low Attendance

rojomojo

I'll give some of you guys credit for nerve or serious blinders, y'all actually talking about SMU's attendance again?  Their east side stands are always pretty weak, but I saw some highlights of their game last night and their press box side was pretty full. But, once again, are some of you dumb enough,  with our massive enrollment and enormous alumni base, to talk about someone else's attendance? 

Edited by dodgefan
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

20800 on Smut homecoming

18062 on NT homecoming

I like to think if NT was in contention we would of had more show up. But NT had a lot more than expressed by the beginning of this thread. I was pleasantly surprised and many stuck around after halftime I thought.

• Upvote 2

On 10/27/2023 at 10:14 PM, NT80 said:

Sounds like a pretty wimpy fraternity.  

12 Fun Facts About 'Revenge of the Nerds' | Mental Floss

I know when this movie came out it was all about comedy, but is it me or does it seem like more and more UNT students are starting to look like this group? I see a lot of weird looking students around Denton more so than in the past.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, Venson said:

I know when this movie came out it was all about comedy, but is it me or does it seem like more and more UNT students are starting to look like this group? I see a lot of weird looking students around Denton more so than in the past.

You are not wron. Just yesterday I was having this conversation with some friends.  I went up to the square to grab lunch and a beer before the game and saw that there was some kind of a 5K being run.  Bear in mind it was raining and these people would be running in the rain, but it was jam packed.  So rain is obviously not a reason for Denton people to stay inside.

Denton people will show up for things that are actually a priority to them, and I’m starting to believe that UNT’s location is it’s number one Achilles’ heel when it comes to sports attendance.  The same kind of people that got a damn white squirrel as a “secondary mascot” for our university, and run that thing out on the field during our homecoming game, are the kind of people that will never show up in droves for football.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I've noticed that as well, but didn't want to say anything about it and just appear to have old man syndrome. Many of them, look like they would be at some hostile political protest.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

I've noticed that as well, but didn't want to say anything about it and just appear to have old man syndrome. Many of them, look like they would be at some hostile political protest.

The TV broadcast showed a lot of the student section as NT was scoring in the second half.  There was some cultural diversity in the stands but "they were in the stands" and appeared to be having fun and "enjoying the game until the end".  It was a positive sign that NT students will come to games on cloudy days even when the team may not be playing so well.  I took it as a positive.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Denton people will show up for things that are actually a priority to them, and I’m starting to believe that UNT’s location is it’s number one Achilles’ heel when it comes to sports attendance.  The same kind of people that got a damn white squirrel as a “secondary mascot” for our university, and run that thing out on the field during our homecoming game, are the kind of people that will never show up in droves for football.

If Jared knows what’s good for him, he will burn that stupid ‘effing white squirrel costume in next year’s homecoming bonfire. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

You are not wron. Just yesterday I was having this conversation with some friends.  I went up to the square to grab lunch and a beer before the game and saw that there was some kind of a 5K being run.  Bear in mind it was raining and these people would be running in the rain, but it was jam packed.  So rain is obviously not a reason for Denton people to stay inside.

It was Denton’s Day of the Dead festival. I have no idea why UNT would ever schedule HC on the same day. It’s one of the biggest events of the year and not something we should try to compete against.
Even with all the rain yesterday, parking was a nightmare. The festival blocks off streets and parking lots. Not ideal when you have thousands of people coming in for Homecoming. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It was Denton’s Day of the Dead festival. I have no idea why UNT would ever schedule HC on the same day. It’s one of the biggest events of the year and not something we should try to compete against.
Even with all the rain yesterday, parking was a nightmare. The festival blocks off streets and parking lots. Not ideal when you have thousands of people coming in for Homecoming. 

Or was it "Defense of the Dead?"

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It may have more to do with the scheduling gods of ESPN.

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

You know what this actually surprises me a bit. When I was at UNT, the tailgate would have probably been canceled in this weather but we'd still have gone to the game. The leaders in my fraternity and others made it a point to tell everybody to go to games. Obviously not everybody went but many did. We had a tremendous amount of fun even though we were right after the Dodge years and there wasn't much to be excited about. Attendance has never been great but as fraternity members, you should be acting as a UNT hype group, not discouraging attendance.

@rojomojo, you spend your time on here preaching what the P5s do yet you yourself behave like a bottom feeder fan. Students at P5s would be in attendance, no matter the weather. Bad weather is part of the game and if you're a fan, you are also part of the game. Some of you students want UNT to be a bigger program but you're not willing to behave like fans of a bigger program. You're not asked to do much more than be a warm body in a stadium yet you have a stadium right across the highway with a nice pedestrian bridge but you can't make the trip. Here's an idea for your fraternity, give the pledges some money to go to Walmart and buy some ponchos for everybody plus some for the women. Then get the pledges to drive y'all over to the game so you don't have to walk. You have 5 hours. Be a leader, make a plan, and execute it.

You're not a small child. You're a young adult and soon you're going to be expected to be a contributing member to society. You're going to be ok if you get a little wet. So are your friends. My 5 year old was just out in the rain in sandals swinging on our play set. He's still alive. I promise it will be ok.

Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

We have hundreds of thousands alumni in the area and 40+ thousand students. They should care far more about Homecoming than some Day of the Dead festival. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Denton is trying too hard to be what Austin used to be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1