Stone

edcollopy

13 minutes ago, aprice said:

this is just tacky.  we shouldn't be shitting on our student athletes like this.  i thought he made a tremendous effort under the circumstances.  couldnt run the ball, poor game plan inferior athletes around him.  was he perfect?  of course not.  but stone wasnt even in the top 5 reasons why we lost

do better.

BS. 

The QB and HC takes blame. Unfortunately, defenses don't. Ours definitely should. 

2 picks in limited throwing of the football and countless premature pull downs and meaningless runs. That's all a huge problem. Say what you will, but you're wrong. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

rogers did the same thing, I saw ruder , wonder why he didn't get a chance?  couldn't have hurt to try him out.

I think I will say in defense of the morris SL left the cupboard pretty empty.  The defense of ours made not adjustments.  How many times can California throw that dump off pass every time we blitzed?  I hoping to see improvement in the second half but we seem to get worse.  We gave up about 685 yards tonight.  I dont understand the head coaches ,SL included why you dont hire an experienced DC.  SL wont hire a qb coach.  This is how they save their jobs but tend to hire their buddies whether they were good or not.

• Oh Boy! 1

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Did you see Rogers play today? He didn't look near as good as Stone imo and he was playing against backups.

No, he actually wasn’t the entire time,  

What he was doing is playing a defense that knew we weren’t running because when he went in we were down 3+ scores.  And the one INT he threw his arm was hit as he released it.  

Rogers may not be the answer, he may ultimately not be all we hoped for…but you damn sure can’t answer that question by judging this game.  

We were dominated across the board, there were no deep takeaways about quarterbacks to be had.  

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

36 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Why is Rogers not starting? He has legitimate FBS starts under his belt.  There’s a reason Stone cold was a 3rd stringer under Seth. Wow. 

We must not have watched the same game.  We had zero rushing threat.  41 yards total with our 4 headed monster.  O-Line completely outmatched with D-line only rushing 4 and still getting pressure while the rest of the D was able to T up on the pass.  Stone made some really nice throws.  1st int was perfectly thrown.  Ball was out before receiver tripped/was pushed down.  2nd definitely on him.  He still averaged 9 yards per pass with 3 TD’s and  64% completion under pressure with no rush attack.  The “legitimate FBS” Chandler got 4 drives against the 2nd team defense and couldn’t move the ball at all while averaging  1 yard per pass at less than 50% plus the interception.  I’ll take the upside of Stone all day long.  QB play was the least of our problems today. 

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

No, he actually wasn’t the entire time,  

What he was doing is playing a defense that knew we weren’t running because when he went in we were down 3+ scores.  And the one INT he threw his arm was hit as he released it.  

Rogers may not be the answer, he may ultimately not be all we hoped for…but you damn sure can’t answer that question by judging this game.  

We were dominated across the board, there were no deep takeaways about quarterbacks to be had.  

He overthrew a running back on a screen and lost 10 yards on what should have been a routine throw. The defense was irrelevant. The defense also had no relevance on the floaters he threw. He had no zip on the ball compared to Stone. Maybe I had too much to drink in the pursuit of drowning my sorrows, but I also don’t remember seeing him use those legs that were so hyped up in the off-season. 

• Upvote 7

Neither of those picks was on Stone, at least not primarily.  On one, his receiver fell down, probably due to uncalled PI.  On the other, the pass hit his receiver on both hands, bounced out, and the defender pulled it away.

I was impressed with the pass protection.  Considering that, Stone should have looked sharper than he did.  But he didn't look terrible, either.  Hopefully he can improve on a game that had its hits and misses.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Our defense did not play very well at all.  I'm really disappointed after this first game.

Yeah I’m much more concerned about this. They ran alllll over us. 

This is silly. I liked what I saw of Stone. He made plays happen despite a terrible rushing attack. He overthrew on 2 deep balls that would have been TDs and threw 1 bad interception. The other interception, our guy fell. Other than that, he throws a nice deep ball and was regularly under pressure.

My biggest issue on the offensive side was our offensive live. It was, IMO, our strongest unit last year and they looked outclassed today. That's not something we've been able to say the past few seasons.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, edcollopy said:

Son, you can’t stare at your receivers like it’s a great looking girl. Oh Lord we are in trouble. 

He didn't stare at his receivers anywhere near as much as Aune who rarely looked beyond the first receiver.  I noted several times where Stone threw to a second receiver.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aprice said:

this is just tacky.  we shouldn't be shitting on our student athletes like this.  i thought he made a tremendous effort under the circumstances.  couldnt run the ball, poor game plan inferior athletes around him.  was he perfect?  of course not.  but stone wasnt even in the top 5 reasons why we lost

do better.

2 hours ago, aprice said:

do better.

You say, “don’t s#%^ on our athletes” but then you say, “poor game plan inferior athletes around him.” Wow, take your own advice. I agree that he wasn’t the only problem tonight but realize he only flashed— as did others.  This was more of a coaching issue on both sides of the ball. 

23 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Nothing today showed improvement over the prior regime.  In reality, we showed regression.  Extremely disappointing performance against a very mediocre team.  

You may very well be correct, but do we really know that Cal is a mediocre team this year?  I think we’ll have a better idea after next week.

• Upvote 1