Oregon State demanding 17.5 million to accept ACC merge?

Here's what I believe to be the deal.  The Pac 12 received a large amount of money for the TV deal that they had last year which remains undistributed.  The money came from last year's TV revenue.  It has remained undistributed because so many teams have left the PAC12.  The question is Who gets the revenue?  It was paid to the conference and not to the individual teams.  The four remaining teams are all that's left of the PAC12...the other eight have resigned.  The 17.5 million could be Oregon State's legitimate share of 2022 TV revenue but there needs to be a decision on how the revenue is shared.  They have no commissioner and only four members that have not resigned.  I tend to believe that they will get the 17.5 million as their share because they are still a member of what's left of the PAC12. I believe that the total amount for the PAC12 was $280M but how was it to be distributed?  It likely could be distributed to the remaining members because the check is made out to the conference; not to the individual members.  The PAC needs to get this resolved right away.

Note:  This is my understanding and may or may not be correct.  If you have any additions or corrections, please post.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

$17.5 Million could be what they were worth to their last media deal.  It makes reasonable sense, as they were in conference with USC and UCLA, and viewers do tune in to watch those games.  

However why would they put that number out there?  Its way below the average P4 payout, turning off any attention from another power conference. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Here's what I believe to be the deal.  The Pac 12 received a large amount of money for the TV deal that they had last year which remains undistributed.  The money came from last year's TV revenue.  It has remained undistributed because so many teams have left the PAC12.  The question is Who gets the revenue?  It was paid to the conference and not to the individual teams.  The four remaining teams are all that's left of the PAC12...the other eight have resigned.  The 17.5 million could be Oregon State's legitimate share of 2022 TV revenue but there needs to be a decision on how the revenue is shared.  They have no commissioner and only four members that have not resigned.  I tend to believe that they will get the 17.5 million as their share because they are still a member of what's left of the PAC12. I believe that the total amount for the PAC12 was $280M but how was it to be distributed?  It likely could be distributed to the remaining members because the check is made out to the conference; not to the individual members.  The PAC needs to get this resolved right away.

Note:  This is my understanding and may or may not be correct.  If you have any additions or corrections, please post.

Great question. Maybe because they thought it could never happen, it seems that there are no exit fees for all teams leaving. I would guess that the payouts for a specific year would have to go to the teams that were members of the conference for the period the payment covered. I would doubt that six or so teams will forgo the money. 

I also wonder about the debts of the conference; with it going away, I would think they would have to make sure those were covered before any payouts were made. Also, what happens to the Pac's NCAA tournament payouts? 

• Upvote 1

I don't know why OSU and WSU would not join the MWC instead of the AAC.The difference in revenue is not that much and travel expenses would eat up the difference. One problem is that sense the MWC is paying Boise more money than the rest of the conference I would assume that the PAC 2 would want at least that.The MWV could tell Boise they were going to cut their share back to the rest of the conference in 2025 and go to a performance  based bonus program and get everyone , including the PAC 2, on the same page.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't know why OSU and WSU would not join the MWC instead of the AAC.The difference in revenue is not that much and travel expenses would eat up the difference. One problem is that sense the MWC is paying Boise more money than the rest of the conference I would assume that the PAC 2 would want at least that.The MWV could tell Boise they were going to cut their share back to the rest of the conference in 2025 and go to a performance  based bonus program and get everyone , including the PAC 2, on the same page.

As with the Pac12, to expand your brand you need to get off the west coast time zone. With the Pac gone away (less product) and with the AAC being coast to coast we should be able to get more $$$. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

As with the Pac12, to expand your brand you need to get off the west coast time zone. With the Pac gone away (less product) and with the AAC being coast to coast we should be able to get more $$$. 

Well it won't do us any good if we pass it on to OSU and WSU for doing us the favor and joining the AAC. Let them go to the MWC or Big Sky.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1