Several AAC and MWC schools have reached out to the Pac 9

Cougar King

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:

How many spots are available? 

It sure seems like bad logistics for some of the schools making application. I guess if they take all those applying it might work out from a logistics standpoint. 

Great question. My guess is anywhere from 1 up to as many as 7 assuming nobody else leaves.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Fresno, SDSU, Boise, UNLV and Colorado St make sense  

I like them all but Fresno.  I know competitive wise and attendance wise it might fit but if they put a loop around Fresno I'd take the loop everytime.  And, I'd be out of town before dark.  I won't tell you what I really think of it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Until they get a TV deal there will be no additions.  The problem is that PAC12 picked the worst time as ESPN / Disney are struggling with layoffs and the streamers are cutting their budgets.

I think the travel will be an issue but even bigger is what the league will look like after further defections.  

Also, once the PAC media deal is finally announced then the existing schools must decide if they are willing to sign their Grant of Rights over to the PAC for the duration of it.  That will be the determining factor if they are still committed to the PAC or shopping for another option. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:00 PM, southsideguy said:

The PAC 12 could take Hawaii

They should take Hawaii.  It is small market but it's an entire state with most Hawaii expats living in the western USA.  A guaranteed trip to Hawaii at one point in your college career should be a small bonus for recruits considering a school in the conference.  I am not sure SDSU or any MWC can afford the 34 million to leave and take a smaller share of the Pac 12 payout (whatever that ends up being it will be less than 17 million per year for G5 additions to the Pac).  Maybe if 3 or more leave the MWC, the buyout is neogiated down to something manageable.  I think the Pac should take Air Force also.  Travel logistics won't be a problem for them.

On 7/28/2023 at 8:59 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

From the academic point of view (which the PAC says is essential), Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU might make sense. 

If I were leading the PAC no way I am adding multiple small private universities.  If it's about reach of your conference brand small private universities that really not have won big since 1980 doesn't help you much. There just isn't natural affinity for any of these private instutions for casual CFB fans without a direct connection to those schools.  I take Tulsa because of its name.  With that name it has a better opportunity to capture support of the Tulsa metro area.  Sorry SMU putting a D on your helmets and Dallas on your jersey isn't winning you new fans. 

Memphis, Tulane and USF filing is just absolutely ridiculous from a geographic standpoint.  It is a disservice to any college athletes that isn't a football player.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Whatever! When you add all these G5 schools to your P5 conference...when does that P5 become a G5...lol

GO FOR IT!

They haven't seen the worst yet.  So far, just Colorado has indicated they will leave.  There could very well be Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Washington and possibly Utah as well.  When that happens there's virtually no choice but to backfill with MWC teams.  If they do, that will wreck the Mountain West and the Pac 12 as well.  That should drop them to a G5.  The TV revenue will drop considerably.  If all the AAC teams that applied get accepted, they won't get much more TV revenue and will lose that to increased travel expenses.  In addition, they will pay an exit fee to leave the AAC and another fee to enter the "Pacific 12".  Should that happen, it would force the AAC to cherry pic the best of the Sun Belt and CUSA, weakening us and the conferences having better teams taken.  It also would eventually reduce the payout from TV revenue for the AAC.  If we could cap each conference at 16 teams that might cure some of the wanderlust.  SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, Memphis and USF please reconsider and withdraw your applications.  Save the AAC and the best commissioner in college football. 

One more thing,,,just remember these are supposed to be athletic conferences, not academic conferences.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:11 AM, GrayEagle said:

SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, Memphis and USF please reconsider and withdraw your applications.  Save the AAC and the best commissioner in college football. 

I don't know at this point I am reserved to let the powers that be ruin CFB and improve from learning lessons the hard way.  There are these mythical casual CFB fans that want to watch a semi-pro league extremely loosely  tied to CFB tradition that media distributors want to get.  They are ridiculously short sighted IMO with the hammer of "conference expansion" growing the sport.   This is boxing all over again.  Every program out for themselves without considering the possibility that working together in unison for the best of the sport would lift all boats.  By the time they look at what the NFL and MLB did to improve their sport through revenue sharing it will be too late.  We needed more good games not larger conferences.  Long ago they should have capped FBS at 120 teams and 10 conferences (capping membership at 14). They should have expanded the regular season to 14 games (15 for conference championships).  And capped Bowl games to 20 which gives you a solid 1/3 playing in bowls.  Select the 4 highest ranked bowl game winner for a 4 team playoff.   That would insure that there would be more quality out of conference games, all 20 bowl games likely impact the playoff teams selected.  Now we are getting more meh gems like Rutgers vs Minnesota and Missouri vs South Carolina.  Games they already could have been scheduled annually out of conference but weren't because there was no demand for them.   But gems like a regular season match up between Michigan and LSU still won't happen cause they are chicken 💩 to schedule them.   🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So the only real outcome here is we eliminate a P5 conference. We now have  4. Which was going to happen eventually anyway. 

The Pac12 will be something else not P5

The 4 mega conferences was always the eventual outcome we’re just seeing it start to happen now. If SMU, etc want to go be in the new MWC that’s fine…

ORE and Wash and the Arizona schools won’t be there by the time all these schools that are wanting to jump to the “Pac12” get there. 

and I’ll bet there will be another round when attendance continues to drop, traditional matchups go away and the TV money continues to decrease. 

next round will be where P5s drop and big D1 college football is left with 36-40 teams. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

How many of those schools are actually serious?  Filing paperwork just gets everyone talking about you, donors ear's pop up, and your social media footprint sees a boost.  

Conferences reach out to schools they are interested in, to see if there could be mutual interest.   They don’t just ask for applications.   The PAC is a pitifully run conference at the top…just ask SDSU!

• Cougar King changed the title to Several AAC and MWC schools have reached out to the Pac 9

Perfect world scenario is SMUT accepts the invitation to the the pac whatever they are now today, pays the exit fee and tomorrow Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon and Washington say they are joining other conferences.  Wonder if any teams have withdrawn their interest in the pac number of the day? 

• Upvote 1