If SMU leaves whomwould you want to add?

Dannymacfan

To replicate SMU, we would need to look for a university with inflated ego, small alumni base, low attendance and the propensity for mischief in recruiting.  Would Highland Park High be a candidate?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

41 minutes ago, drex said:

To replicate SMU, we would need to look for a university with inflated ego, small alumni base, low attendance and the propensity for mischief in recruiting.  Would Highland Park High be a candidate?

And a lot of money to boot.

44 minutes ago, drex said:

So tu, Ohio St, Michigan?

I hope they go. I really do. 

It's looking more and more like the 4 corners are going to the big12. At the very least Arizona and Colorado. It's been reported that Deion gave his greenlight for big12 membership, if that's the direction they go. Why would the Colorado administration ask for his blessing if it wasn't a real possibility? I think if UA and Colorado make the move, Utah and AZ State have to follow suit, right? Oregon and Wash to Big10 is a foregone conclusion. 

These assumptions have to be why no one is wanting to pull the trigger on a media rights deal with the PAC12. There is no other reasonable explanation. So, if you're a big time TV executive that is tasked with the handling of looking in the PAC12 for a TV option one must look at the future. If the future holds Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, SDSU, and SMU as the very possible future members of the conference you would slam on the brakes too. So the question would have to be asked, who is going to backfill? I am sure the answers are given, "MW programs." The next question would have to be, well, wouldn't this very possible scenario make the MW more viable and a stronger conference? 

Of course PAC12 affiliates are trying to hide this at all cost and deflect this possible scenario as real life. 

I don't know how anyone pays for the TV rights for the PAC with this much uncertainty. So, good luck with all that smu. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope they go. I really do. 

It's looking more and more like the 4 corners are going to the big12. At the very least Arizona and Colorado. It's been reported that Deion gave his greenlight for big12 membership, if that's the direction they go. Why would the Colorado administration ask for his blessing if it wasn't a real possibility? I think if UA and Colorado make the move, Utah and AZ State have to follow suit, right? Oregon and Wash to Big10 is a foregone conclusion. 

These assumptions have to be why no one is wanting to pull the trigger on a media rights deal with the PAC12. There is no other reasonable explanation. So, if you're a big time TV executive that is tasked with the handling of looking in the PAC12 for a TV option one must look at the future. If the future holds Oregon State, Washington State, Cal, Stanford, SDSU, and SMU as the very possible future members of the conference you would slam on the brakes too. So the question would have to be asked, who is going to backfill? I am sure the answers are given, "MW programs." The next question would have to be, well, wouldn't this very possible scenario make the MW more viable and a stronger conference? 

Of course PAC12 affiliates are trying to hide this at all cost and deflect this possible scenario as real life. 

I don't know how anyone pays for the TV rights for the PAC with this much uncertainty. So, good luck with all that smu. 

If what you are saying is correct, why would SMU want to be in the PAC10?  It will be a very crappy league at that point and require a ton of travel. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tom McKrackin said:

If what you are saying is correct, why would SMU want to be in the PAC10?  It will be a very crappy league at that point and require a ton of travel. 

Because in their mind it's "better." It's not with dirty ole UNT, etc. etc. Also probably in their mind, the scenario of the PAC12 plucking whoever they want after those next 6 schools depart is the reality they are living in. 

SMU is looking for the P5 tag, at literally any cost. But if we follow the smart money, the TV money, it's not going to be a P5. It's going to be very, very sloppy leftovers. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because in their mind it's "better." It's not with dirty ole UNT, etc. etc. Also probably in their mind, the scenario of the PAC12 plucking whoever they want after those next 6 schools depart is the reality they are living in. 

SMU is looking for the P5 tag, at literally any cost. But if we follow the smart money, the TV money, it's not going to be a P5. It's going to be very, very sloppy leftovers. 

But, would UNT join the PAC12 if invited? You know the answer to this.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 hours ago, dodgefan said:

As it sits, sure. As it will be in 2026/27, no. So, in short, no. The TV deal they end up getting will be comprable to the AAC or worse. We'll just end up forking more money over to fly our team(s) to Fresno, Boise, Corvallis, Pullman, etc. Not really much to gain there. 

I think the best case scenario is trusting in Commish Aresco, following his vision and expanding our brands within the AAC. All AAC party members must continue to invest, invest, invest. The gap is closed in on the PAC as is, IMO. We have to aim for the Big12 and snug up as close to them as possible to ensure the AAC is included in that 2nd tier after the P2. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

11 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Leadership in the Pac 12 seems to be arrogant short sighted and don't grasp the disadvantages of their geography.   As soon Texas & Oklahoma announced leaving the Big 12 they should have grabbed 2 schools from our state.   Also, I always thought it was kind of sorry of them not to add Hawaii.   They had the best resources to accommodate having Hawaii in their conference.  And SDSU should feel so burned by them at this point they never join unless the Pac 12 agrees to pay the MWC exit fee up front.   Adding SMU without a geographic rival doesn't make a lot since in first place so if we were selected instead of them at this point I would be skeptical.  We probably do well in a Pac 12 that keeps all its teams.  But I think having another i-35/I-45 Texas school would make that success even more likely.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

No thank you. Army Navy owns that weekend and I look forward to it every year! Even had a ticket for the game last year, bucket list, but project up east cancelled. That game is magical. 

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1